Why does the evolutionary process exist?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Theoryofrelativity, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

interesting contribution many thanks 'oh one with something to say that is relevant to thread' a rare 'un indeed!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

why are you happy to say Philica allows kooks to contribute and their ratings are invalid when you then delete the post , threaten a ban and lock the thread for what was your own comments copied from here to there? Do you not stand by your word?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Roman:

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari-Kari rock. I need scissors! 61!

TheoryOfRelativity:

COnsidering the total and complete incapacity for scientists to thus far validate Dark Matter, many are abandoning the search and instead looking for (I say far more fruitful) avenues of inquiry.

One must truly ask: When a system gives oneself a 90 percent indiscrepancy with the results and the theory, how scientific is it to go, "Gee-whiz, I guess we must find some theories to patch this gigantic hole in our theory, which is wildly off experimental data's findings!"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I don't know

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That is entirely incorrect. There is evidence for dark matter and scientists are not abandoning their research.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Who is the expert? Apparently he isn't an expert but a crackpot.

You dream up the same thing as a crackpot, how stupid can you be?

Very.

10. Chris_Smith Registered Senior Member

What is the point to all this mindless competitive nitpicking?

11. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I don't know

(Note this is my mantra hence forth)

12. Chris_Smith Registered Senior Member

So I've noticed.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

To expose what has merit and what has not.

14. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

The dumbness of this question approaches infinity.

If the nipicking is competitive, then clearly the objective is to win. It is thus a concrete example of the theoretical concepts that lie at the heart of the thread.

15. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

hmmm interesting indeed.

Are we in a perpetual state of competition I wonder, subtly if not overtly?

16. Chris_Smith Registered Senior Member

Not as much competitive Ophiolite - my nitpicking comment was to emphasise the lack of direction to this thread, although, I'm just as guilty too.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

seems we are getting closer to a more satisfactory answer:

I was doing some reading re myspace blog on viruses and evolution and the link I was looking at contained these words:

"Equally exciting is the realization that viruses have a fundamental role in the biosphere, in both immediate and long-term evolutionary senses. Recent work suggests that viruses are an important repository and memory of a community's genetic information, contributing to the system's evolutionary dynamics and stability. "

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v445/n7126/full/445369a.html

18. valich Registered Senior Member

Viruses might affect a change in our genotype in the longterm, if a large enough population were increasingly subject to a detremental virus and then that population evolved an immunity to it. And we might see something like this in our lifetime with HIV? However, the article that you site goes way too far overboard by suggesting that: "The uselessness of the species concept is inherent in the recent forays into metagenomics — the study of genomes recovered from natural samples as opposed to clonal cultures."

Bad timeframe. Aristotle started classifying plants and animals 2,000 years ago and our taxonomical classifications that started with him have given us tremendous insight into Linnaeus's species ever since. Where would we be today if we were no longer able to classify species in the Latin binomial system. There's no way we or our posterity will ever live long enough to outgrow the benefits we will reap from this excellent methodology system.