Why does it seem like there is no moderation in Physics and Math?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by origin, May 7, 2014.

1. lpetrich Registered Senior Member

That's a theologian's sort of argument, and it's a good reason for sending it to "alternative theories".
    That's just too bad.
    More like moving something to a more appropriate place. Where would flat-earthism deserve to go?
    Farsight, you ought to consider moderating a forum on theology.
    That's what I mean by arguing like a theologian. Treating Maxwell and Einstein and Minkowski as inspired prophets.
    That's the sort of math that Minkowski himself had used, so what are you complaining about?
    Farsight, if you are unable to understand why that is considered a VERY weak argument, you won't ever be good at science.
    As if that was something that I did not already know.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

You underestimate the power of the internet terribly IMO. You also underestimate your own capacity to extend on physics theories already developed. Perhaps if you stopped painting every one else with our own low self expectations and started to explore a little you might be surprised by what YOU can achieve.

One of the amazing benefits for the internet is the ability to gather enormous knowledge resources in a very short period of time and effort. Take Wiki for example: Whilst full of errors and bugs it is changing the way people seek and gain information incredibly.
    Knowledge of physics used to be the sole province of those who went to university and studied, however now that exclusiveness is gone leaving those who did do the hard work and studied the old way, probably feeling a bit cheated.
    There is no doubt that the rigors of study routines and disciplines are not taught by browsing a wiki, however the internet and the scientific world generally has a strong capacity to train in those disciplines over time.

The global "think tank" called the world wide web is only in it's infancy and of course it has issues.

The idea for any reader of these forums is to gain what he/she can from the stuff that is posted because even in amongst all the dross is a bit of gold every now and then.
    The net is full of ideas, crazy, and solid and is an excellent way to garner inspirations especially if you have the disciplines needed to make use of them.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

You mean gone are the days of encyclopedia salesman knocking on the door trying to sell a set? They weren't cheap either. The main problem with encyclopedias is they don't get updated. If an earthquake were to hit today, it will be on Wiki literally within minutes. The old encyclopedia set is then obsolete...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Minkowski and Maxwell and the others you nominate to support your concept, are in my opnion, no more then snippets taken out of context and/or misinterpreted.
    That sort of deceitful methodology was used in the argument against "Time is real" threads.
    And really, when one sees the need to resort to spelling mistakes and such, they are actually admitting their own ignorance in the crux of the debate...the science in other words.

:roflmao:
    That would have been like installing Hitler as the chief war crimes judge at the end of WW2!

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

yes the phenomena that is Wiki is incredible... and still in it's infancy but maturing fast IMO.

As an aside:
    In some 3rd world countries where internet provisioning is lacking the entire wiki is downloaded on to hard drives and distributed manually onto a huge number of computers, incorporated into other course work so that students can get an eduction with minimal supervision. [ old computers by the bucket load, no internet and few qualified teachers]
    Example: charity, Tunapanda Kenya

Human ingenuity!

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Generally speaking, WIKI does serve a purpose, and serves it reasonably well.But in some circumstances, it cannot be taken as gospel.
    Point in hand:
    Last month when the debate about whether time was real or not, was raging, at least three WIKI references were given supporting the "not real" concept.
    It was also obvious that tracts of the WIKI references were changed and revised at near the exact same day as they were given...dishonesty?? just saying.

Nothing at all wrong with new ideas. But really what are the chances of three different ToE's being presented on the one science forum!
    Any new concept, any new physics, any ToE, is not going to eventuate from someone out in left field.
    It will almost certainly come about through and by Mainstream science and the incredible advanced technilogical space probes telescopes at the disposal of Mainstream.

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Oh I agree in fact I would extend and suggest that nothing on the net can be taken as Gospel...

One of the key abilities a student needs to learn these days that is considerably more important than it used to be, is how to apply critical assessments to materials found on the net.
    IMO Typically, the three source rule is a good one, that is to say that 3 independent sources of information need to be achieved before the information is deemed worthy of a "certain" degree of trust. Wiki is only one of them.... The references at the bottom of a wiki can help make up the other two etc..

Regardless the number of people who are wiki educated is increasing daily, and they are not necessarily aware of the limitations the wiki has to work with. [my self included]
    So forums like this one tend to be a vetting ground for the wiki knowledge base...
    Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, is debatable however it is a fact of life these days and one the old school-ers have to get used to...and learn to work with because it ain't going to go away any time soon...

11. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I can and have played all the positions on the field, but I'm a SS and 3rd baseman. You can't get a ground ball past me!

12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

The quotes may be thiers, the interpretation is yours.

I had every right. By the way, I didn't move it myself, as I have already explained (including the reasons why) I requested someone else to move it.

If you wish to dispute this further, I invite you to start a thread in SFOG (be sure to reference this post though).

No it isn't.

For someone who takes the time to criticize the spelling of others, your reading comprehension is questionable. Or did you not bother reading the posts in this thread before posting?

13. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Fantasy is a wonderful thing.

I have come to realize you need a certain amount of education in a descipline to understand it enough to realize what it would take to contribute to that discipline. Ignorance really is bliss in this case because your ignorance makes you believe you have a clue about the depth of what is understood in physics and fools you into believing you have anything worthwhile to contribute. You don't need to contribute to the wealth of knowledge - just try to understand what is already known.

14. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Oh for chrssake are you really that deluded! It is questionable to even have you posting in the science Physics and Math let alone moderating it. God help us all!

15. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Hey my thread got moved!!! Let say me right here that I think that, uh, well, uh, OK it makes sense. I hope you know I was [this close] to righteous indignations.

16. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

So uhm.... Origin... can I ask?
    What you going to be when you grow up?

17. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

No, you - and these other "alternative theorists" are just fooling yourselves. The internet has yet to demonstrate the capability you and the others are claiming it has. Indeed, it is just a means for discussion and sharing ideas. It can't create any ideas itself.
    No, a quick check here should be enough to convince any physicist that their way of learning physics was the correct way.

18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Firstly, you take internet forums way too seriously.
    Secondly , your passion for correcting posters and their "evil" ways just indicates how much you consider the important s of the internet to be.
    Why do you post as you do if this is not the case?
    Are you just fooling yourself when you think you achieve something by posting as you do?

19. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Good for you Trippy. It doesn't quite fit literally, but I think the intent fits... Sometimes it's not what you know it is who you know.

At least now I know who knows, the right person...

20. brucep Valued Senior Member

Why do you post nothing but nonsense on the internet? ? ? How come you don't know it's nonsense? ? ? How come you don't take it seriously? ? ? Why don't you get any respect in this forum? ? ? You should pick a subject that you can take seriously. Ignorance is a choice.

21. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I suppose you think your anonymous and usually abusive opinion is somehow important?

and you think I am the deluded one...:m:

22. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Me? You're the one (one of them) who says that real science can happen here!
    Why, exactly, do you think I'm doing it? "Important" for what?

23. Layman Totally Internally Reflected Valued Senior Member

You guys should really learn how to be able to take a hint. The reason they all left is because babysitting you guys would be a full time job that they couldn't pay anyone well enough to take. It seems like instead of banning all of you they just decided to quit instead. You are all paying members after all. But I mean really, what could you do with a bunch of quack jobs (no pun intended, quantum quack) that think they are right about everything, but they couldn't be any more wrong about everything?

I know why Alphanumeric left, as I was actively viewing this forum when he did. It was cause I explained to him that having to deal with you trolls so much and so regularly that it had actually turned him into a troll himself. That is just naturally what happens when people are always so wrong and so determined to be right, that they can never be persuaded that feel strongly about everyone having the same wrong views that they do. There was that, and I showed him how the addition of velocity derivation used two different versions of the same equation so it couldn't be mathematically valid. Maybe, he just lost his faith in science. Moderating these forums regularly could be a very traumatic experience. I guess I will never know cause suddenly after that he just failed to respond after that. He tried taking a vacation, but it didn't help...