Why does evolution select against atheists?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., May 9, 2009.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Haha

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You really are angry, aren't you ?

Please explain how.
    And if you've done that you can explain why it would matter.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Atheism is not a belief that there is no reason for the universe.

But even if it was, so what? Why does it need to create something?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Umm no?

I'm just making an observation.

Atheism does not provide for marriage, responsibility towards the family and children, community gatherings for prayer, which in turn enhance social bonding.

Which makes them outliers in society unless they adopt and adapt religious institutions to themselves. Religion strengthens these institutions and hence the community and increases the possibility not only of survival but also of better conditions that enhance quality of life.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tyler Registered Senior Member

You don't seem to be much a fan of Aristotle, but you ought to try reading him again. Maybe you'd learn how to functionally use categories.

Atheism and Agnosticism are positions on ontology and epistemology.

One cannot say they fail as ethical systems or don't live up to religions as ethical systems as they are not ethical systems.

That'd be like saying my pet dog doesn't work very well as a tea kettle. Well no shit, sherlock. It's a dog. Not a kettle.

8. Tyler Registered Senior Member

I agree with you here that religions (or some form of mythology) have helped societies stay together in a great many instances. I would agree they play a very integral role in the world today as well, and I don't think the world is ready to be rid of religions at all.

Maybe it never will be. But maybe it will. Unlike you, I don't pretend to have that knowledge.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well.. you sure sound pissed off at atheists.

No, we are not a community and certainly not one that requires prayer

However, atheism is in no way working against the things you mentioned either.

Uh no

Like what religious institutions ?
    You mean to say that not believing in god is a trait that is selected against by nature ?
    Poor animals... no one told THEM.. :roflmao:

lol bullshit.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

And as you have proved here, knowledge has little to do with stance.

After all, you're an atheist sans knowledge.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Why should it?

Atheism does not claim to take the place of religion.

Oh, and by the way, we can have all of these things without religion, although admittedly the gathering for prayer thing becomes a tad meaningless in the absence of religion...

12. Tyler Registered Senior Member

That's right Sam. I can't predict the future. Is this some kind of revelation?

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It need not.

Just theorising on why atheism does not work as a social institution, in the way that religion does.

My theory is that atheism not only does not create any social institutions but is detrimental to existing ones.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/social-institutions/

14. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Only a rather poor scientist would suggest we have enough evidence to back that up.

By the way, as you seem happy to do quite often, you've forgotten about China. This country is officially atheist and has the highest number of atheists in the world. It's social structures and institutions are much stronger and much older than anything in America, which is still a strongly Christian nation.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The simple answer is that it makes no claims to being a social institution in the way that religions do.

Neither does non-belief in the concept that George Michael is God. Or non-belief in giant purple and yellow pandas.

Which ones, in particular?

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do you have discussions on purple and yellow pandas as a rule?

Do they define your stance or beliefs in anyway?

All of them. Education, Law, Marriage, Family, Community, to name a few.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Explain how for each one, please.

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Only in contexts such as this one, it seems.

My stance or beliefs about what?

Please explain for me how atheism is detrimental to education, law, marriage, family and community.

19. Bells Staff Member

Maybe if you tried to open your eyes while observing, it might help. Just a suggestion.

So you don't think atheism provides the outlet for marriage? You think only theists or theism allows or teaches responsibility to one's family or children?

Atheism does provide for marriage, responsibility to family and children. Your assertion is false and basic fear mongering.

And social bonding? Righteo. Yes. The Catholics and Protestants bonded well in history, haven't they? How about the Jews and Muslims in the ME. Real social bonding there. Tell me, does Israel's theistic leanings in the way in which the country is governed allow for social bonding with Muslims?

Argh!

Fear mongering again. Religion has the capacity and at times, does divide, sometimes even amongst one's own religion. Theism tends to be selfish, in that they look after their own first.. They will benefit their own because of their religious leanings. I guess that helps with 'survival'. Unfortunately, they will do it even if it is to the extreme detriment of others.

How does religion strengthen any such institution when it is for such selfish reasons. I guess scoring brownie points with God is a good thing, even if it means making or allowing others to suffer.. The goal of every single theist is to get to their own heaven and that, at its very heart is selfish. So instead of having social cohesion because it benefits all, theists can tend to have social cohesion because it scores brownie points with God.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Education: atheism is detrimental to thinking, it strangles the imagination and crushes lateral thinking processes. Atheists have fixed notions of what is possible and impose it on education.

Law: atheists lack a moral compass and extend this to the legal process by diluting the concept of right or wrong

Marriage: atheists have no concept of marital sanctity

Family: same, they have no reason to maintain family bonds. I would not be surprised if most atheists were either loners or had broken relationships with their familu

Community: atheists have no basis for community, they are individualists.

These are broad generalisations of course, many atheists are "brainwashed" from having a religious upbringing and its only in their children [or grandchildren, if grandparents have an effect on the children] that we would expect to see the results of atheistic conditioning. Thats assuming they have any.

21. Bells Staff Member

Well according to Sam, all atheists are brain dead and feral. So we are unable to achive, let alone understand concepts such as education, law, marriage, family and community.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

One of the first casualties of a "secular" society is the family unit. True or False?

23. Bells Staff Member

False.