WHY does anything exist?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by lightgigantic, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liege-Killer Not as violent as it sounds Registered Senior Member

Why does anything exist?

If nothing existed, we wouldn't be here to ask the question.

Which makes the question useless.

Surely, if nothing existed, that would also be an equally puzzling state of affairs. But there would be no beings around to puzzle over it. So we have an unfair advantage over those non-beings in the puzzlement department. What makes our awe at existence any more special than some non-being's hypothetical awe at non-existence?

I hope that makes some sense. If not, just pretend my post doesn't exist.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

"We" aren't here ...."we" are just in your mind, in your dreams. In fact, everything that's every happened to you is in your dreams.

Not really. I think it only brings up the question of what's YOUR mind? Is it actually something that's tangible, that exists, or is it just a ....well, a dream?

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

baron how does my mind exist if nothing exists?

peace.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Nothing exists ...OUTSIDE... your mind.

Now what your mind is is a completely different question. I don't know.

Baron Max

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

so what your saying is that i have a huge mind,

peace.

9. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

A very silly question. One that has been rhetorically saturated. Besides, stuff has been existing for millions of years before the inception of humans. Manage to drink some humble serum.

10. Yorda Registered Senior Member

It still doesn't answer why I exist.

I can't dream up myself because I have to exist in order to dream. The solution is that only a dream exists in nothing, but there is no dreamer. And the dream exists because nothing is everything that exists. So it can't really be nothing... because it's infinite... and in infinity... anything can exist....

Everything that exists needs a cause in order to exist, but "God" doesn't, because God is the source, the nothing where everything comes from.

At the same time, everything is nothing (God), so nothing needs a cause.

Infinite causes = no cause

Circular logic. We exist because something exists. Something exists because we exist.

But circular logic is logical.

It couldn't be puzzling because puzzling does not exist in nothing.

There's not something either, because something can't be anything but nothing.

---
    This post may sound like nonsense, but that's just because there is no sense in nothing.

11. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

empty,
    "where are you getting your infomation from?"

i get my information from physics. explain to me some specific notion of infinity and i will try and tell you why it is nonsense. (in the physical world, we aren't talking math where it is obviously very necessary)

12. Yorda Registered Senior Member

i know a lot about nothing...

if you divide a grain of sand... you can divide the parts... to infinity...

the universe, all that exists, must be infinite... because if it isn't... then it means that there is something "outside" which keeps it from being "infinite"...

literally Everything is infinite. finity is an illusion, it does not exist.

you forget that math, our mind/thoughts, are part of the "physical" world.

13. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

yorda,
    "you can divide the parts... to infinity"
    no, you can't. let me repeat: you cannot divide a grain of sand to infinity. you need to do some reading on quantum physics. trying to divide the planck length is not possible.

"the universe, all that exists, must be infinite"
    infinite in what way? size? explain to me how we could measure any part of something that is infinite in size. age? an infinite age would indicate we could never get to where we are now.

"you forget that math, our mind/thoughts, are part of the "physical" world."
    our mind is of course. but math is a model of reality, not reality itself. if you cannot distinguish math from the physical world, then what exactly is the purpose of it?

in summary, the universe is both finite and all. at its extreme conditions (planck length and the horizon) it is indeterminate. a vacuum cannot be distinguished from matter. the universe in essence is not something or nothing. we do not have a word for its state because we cannot comprehend it.

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

the notion of infinity itself. show me a source wich indicates infinity is nonsense please.

or are you just going to say physics.?

peace.

15. VitalOne Banned Banned

Anything and everything exists because I exist...

16. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

the notion of infinity is mathematical. i said a specific notion of infinity in the physical world. such as yordas (false)notions.

also note that infinite and unbounded are different concepts. my view of the universe is finite but has no boundaries.

17. Yorda Registered Senior Member

why nut? because quantum physics says so? gimme a break.

we can measure finite objects in this infinite universe.

now is all that exists. the past is a memory, a thought. the universe is created in the eternal moment called now.

physics is a model of reality. in reality, reality might not be physical.

so... what is beyond that finite space of yours?

but they look different.

why do you exist?

18. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

yorda,
    "because quantum physics says so? gimme a break."
    so quick to dismiss the major scientific advancements of the last 100 years? why, because you know better? gimme a frickin break.

"now is all that exists. the past is a memory, a thought. the universe is created in the eternal moment called now."
    interesting. if all motion ceased, would it still be an "eternal moment"? ever heard of the heat death of the universe?

"so... what is beyond that finite space of yours?"
    that's a tough one. if i were to give anything a possibility of infinity it would be maybe an infinite void the universe is expanding into. but i dont think it is a void, i think it is null. zero is not infinity.

that brings up another point...if the universe is infinite, how is it expanding? impossible.

19. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

What the fuck is everything really?

20. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I have a theory that everyone in this thread is 420 friendly.

The Blue Pill; and "EVERYTHING" is the eyes of your kid.

21. VitalOne Banned Banned

I exist, because I had always existed....I am causeless, unchanging, and eternal, and indestructible....

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

WHY does anything exist?
    Your question is meaningless. "Why" is the word of the confused one. It's useless to ask why. Ask "HOW" instead.

How does anything exist?

If you can answer how, you will understand why. :itold:

23. Yorda Registered Senior Member

because they have no evidence for it and it sounds illogical.

there can't be a limit to how much matter can be divided because matter always consists of something else, and there is space between the things that it consists of, which means that it can be divided.

of course it would. infact, there is no motion in this eternal moment because it has no duration, so nothing has time to move.

things only appear to move. like the things in a movie: the pictures create the illusion of motion.

yeah, wut about it?

and how's that different from saying that the universe is expanding to an infinite space? void and space are the same thing.

infinitely limited (nothing) is the same thing as unlimited.

it isn't expanding. the expansion is just a hypothesis to explain the redshift. and even if galaxies and things were moving apart from each other, the space itself isn't expanding because space is nothing, it can't expand. there must Always be space beyond Everything.

but i have a better question for you: how can the universe expand when there is no space outside to expand into?

the only thing that is causeless, eternal and indestructible is nothing (everything)... so i guess you must be the same infinite zero that "i am".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.