Why do you browse here?

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by 420Joey, May 5, 2004.

1. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Exactomundo, hombre.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I post here because the people I work with can't squeeze out anything more intelligent that "Didja watch American Idol last night?" Yeah, some posts here need an enema, some are thought-provoking, some are just mental masturbation, but if you worked where I work, you'd trade your right arm to get back here. It's a buffet of ideas where open discourse is always on the menu. You can either sift through the topics for something that interests you (and then hope some jerk-off hasn't gotten childish and destroyed the flavor of the thread), or you can look for the threads that are just dicking around and enjoy the fun and frustration.

Yes, I admit it. As pitiful as it sounds, I come here for the intelligent conversation.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

dsdsds - Cheers, lol!

I additionally browse to find out new information and meet new people. I fear people in reality. so here is good.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Thank you again for your kind words, although cleaning is not my best talent, I appreciate that you're looking around for things for me to help you with. Never mind. But hang on.... I just tried to pronounce your name out aloud and found I could not manage an intelligible utterance. The name 'Teri' on the other hand -to me- screams female. So I think I'm the one who should be saying "What a gentleman/lady" in this exchange, don't you agree?

On another topic, scots gael believes/thinks/hopes we'll get a better understanding of what makes a fanatic a fanatic. That's a bloody good question! What does make a fanatic a fanatic? Anybody care to offer definitions?

Cheers for tonight
    Teri

8. TaciDd Registered Member

Surely there's a contradiction in the above...... oh, controversial!!
    But do let me apologise for not being able to recognise the femininity of your name.

TaCiDd, pronounced ('tæsid), is my name. And very gentlemanly a name too, you'll find.

And what makes a fanatic a fanatic? Very little I'd presume. It would the same as what makes coke coke, what makes beer beer.. nothing, it just is.

9. StarOfEight A Man of Taste and Decency Registered Senior Member

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    - Churchill

Or, if that's too pithy ...

"No human beings more dangerous than those who have suffered for a belief: the great persecutors are recruited from the martyrs not quite beheaded. Far from diminishing the appetite for power, suffering exasperates it ... The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster."
    - Cioran

If that's too bleak, well ... I got nothing.

10. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

There was nothing in those links . . .

I post here cuz of all the intelligent stuff goin' on here. I post something pertaining to the high-brow topic, and I feel smart. I just wish I could have conversations in the real world half as intelligent as most of these threads! But I'm a high-school student, so no such luck. Oh I soooo long for such a conversation!

11. DieTa Registered Member

I post here 'cos I found the link to this forum yesterday on k10k.net (the link about the NewsFire). I like the design of the forum! A bit different from others.. and I started to read some nice threads.. hmm.. good reason, don't you think so?

12. locknroll Registered Senior Member

I post here because all things sci are great. Plus most of my friends are not geeky enough to know anything about the things I am interested in. Plus you can edit your replies

13. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I post here for several reasons. There are not very many scientifically mided people my age anymore. The "cool" thing to do is to write poetry about how no one understands you and try to get attention and be as original as you can. I don't seek that sort of attention... I like to discuss science, philosophy and art with a good mixture of people from different backgrounds, ages and knowlodgebases. Whenever I am bored (like at my boring job), I will log onto Sciforums and see what's up in cyberspace. I learn more here than I do at school. I like knowing what surrounds me. I like sharing ideas with others. I have a very sarcastic, warped sense of humour, it seems many people here do too. I really post here because I can actually relate to people here. While other bored teens play on Neopets, I'm opening my mind to the world...

14. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

what ^ said

15. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I am here because it is sometimes better than being somewhere else.