Why do you believe in God?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Tnerb, Jan 8, 2007.

1. nds1 Registered Senior Member

If a creature has no ability to reason, can that creature believe in a God?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

If a person has no reason they can believe in anything, regardless of whether the object of belief is actually exists or not

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

The Bible says "the creation groans" because of the Fall of Adam and Eve, so the creatures are distressed, but they probably don't know why they are.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nds1 Registered Senior Member

I disagree. Tell a gorilla about God see what he believes.

Since gorillas can't reason, they don't believe in anything. They only care about eating, sleeping, reproducing, and playing around once in a while. Why is it that no animal worships a God?

It seems like we (or any form of life) only have the ability to believe in or worship something which we can imagine and comprehend.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  8. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Precisely! those who believe in their unsupported assertions, and claim a god exist, are by the facto! as you pointed above! UNREASONABLE! This is obvious by the overwhelming multitude of gods, demi-gods, religions, etc.. Most theist are unreasonable, and basically deluded!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

It's uncanny how you get on the one end of the scale - NO REASON where you "can believe in anything" - and at the other end - REASON where "belief" should not exist, only probability.

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

regarding belief in general, there have been numerous experiments berformed by animal behaviourists who can train an animal to believe that by pressing a red button they will get a food pellet.
    Regarding why animals don't actively worship god - thats the distinction between an animal and a human

Its not clear how this last statement of yours is supposed to help the cause of atheism

sorry to dampen your passions there, but actually I was pointing out that belief is not the platform of verification - belief is the initial stage that one comes to before applying the process for verification - for instance a crazy person may believe that saddam hussein is dead and that kermit the frog is the president of the united states - until they come to the point of verifying their claims (ie applying processes) they will simply be stuck with their 'beliefs'

belief can be anything - verifying (ie applying processes to acquire knowledge) tends to narrow down the field considerably

11. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

This isn't evidence of belief but conditioned response. Its like the child who flinches at a suddenly raised voice because they've been conditioned to expect physical abuse to accompany it. The child didn't think about the raised voice nor does the child necessarily have the ability to explain why she flinches -there is no "belief" involved.

Belief is a far more complex thought process and is both a virtue and a failing for humanity.

Wow. Something we agree upon. Now, if you could just outline "the general principles" of the processes that you use to verify your alleged beliefs. I say "alleged" because I don't recall you actually stating your beliefs, but, admittedly, there are many of your posts that I simply can't be arsed to read.

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

then I won't wear out my fingers with a response

13. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I thought as much. One would actually have something to say that can be reasoned in such principles. Its best that you didn't try.

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

its not clear on what grounds one should endeavour to write detailed things to a person who freely admits to not being bothered to read them

15. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Could you please quote the passage where I said I never read "all" of your posts or the one where I said I wouldn't read the pertinent one? Not only are my previous criticisms of you holding up, they are being defined by your continued intellectual dishonesty.

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

holding up in your esteemed opinion no doubt
    http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1269673&postcount=108

17. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Lightgiantic,

Can animals also create and run their own government or operate a firearm?

18. draqon Banned Banned

19. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Dragon, can you show me where the shrine or temple is in this ant town? Thanks.

20. draqon Banned Banned

sure its were the queen lies. thats the shrine...thats the temple.

21. nds1 Registered Senior Member

So they worship the queen ant, not a God, right?

22. draqon Banned Banned

yes...that is correct.

23. nds1 Registered Senior Member

LG,

What separates human from animal?