Why do you believe in God?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Tnerb, Jan 8, 2007.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Godless

that's my point - a person comes to the point of direct perception (regarding the workings of gravity) after passing through the doors of faith (at the very least, nothing scientific can be established without the faith that proceedures can give uniform results)
    given that there is no evidence for abiogenisis, its not clear why they are dogmatic (at least in theism there is the claim of direct perception

seems like you are unable to conceive of a theist except the narrow minded variety that serves your stereotypical cliches perfectly - certainly your world view doesn't account for the many contributions theistically minded scientists have made over the past several centuries - certainly doesn't appear like they are satisfied saying "goddunit" - in fact there are numerous quotes that indicate that their theism drove their scientific inquiry - they wanted to know how god did it

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

wrong! one does not pass the "doors of faith" to see a godamn rock fall back to the ground! Its an observation, regardless of wether the idividual that threw it knows what the hell gravity is or not! I'ts observation, emperical, it happens! every single time, the rock is thrown straight up in the air it comes down! There's no freaking "FAITH" involved in the observation of the phenomenon!

Here you are basically telling me, since you don't really understand abiogenesis, god did it! Since science does not have all the evidence as yet, you assume the freaking answer!!

Well it's time you get reaquited with the lates in abiogenesis research! so do read the "f*cking link" ok!
    http://www.iscid.org/encyclopedia/Abiogenesis

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB090.html

Index to Creationist Claims
    http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html

I only conceive from the moderates, to the fundamentalists i.e. Zealots. And this is apparently what you are a fundy!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Godless
    my mistake
    I thought we were talking about the nature of perceiving the workings of reality, in particularly the law of gravity

Actually I am just telling you that empriricism doesn't understand it, what to speak of laying claim to the direct perception of the phenomena, so it snot clear why the notion that life came from consciousness is dogmatically refused

delightful - but still no clear answers on how, where, what or when abiogenesis happened - "perhaps" and "maybe" doesn't do the job
    I guess that anyone who dares to suggest that there is no evidence for abiogenesis, only theories, is considered a zealot by you - I would argue that the inability to acknowledge that there is no evidence that is capabale of giving abiogenesis a higher status than that of an unverified theory is zealousness

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

definitions of a religious zealot:
    1. Religious zealot

Usually called fundamentalists, these people tend to be the idiots that piss off atheists and lead them to be jerks in definitions like god and bible.

these people are oblivious to the obvious, and were ostracized from europe and russia, and sent to what is nowdays called the united states.

2. Religious zealot

A person who has ruined religion by using it for his own personal gain and to make him seem like (s)he's better than non-religious people.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=religious zealot

The reason should be clear, as you claim but fail to ascribe to a god! Simple critical thinking will lead you to the conclusion. A: if human life/cosciousness did not manifest itself out of mere matter, then wence does god come from? I'ts god's consciousness that you claim it self manifested out of nothing! Hence prefectly illogical and unreasonable!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

a highly credible link indeed

so does that mean you accept the essential aspects of matter as eternal?

9. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Of course! I'm not one who spouts our universe began in a big bang! It never happened! Existence exists! PERIOD it has always existed, and shall for ever exist.

I suppose the sarcasm just flew over your head?

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

so if matter is eternal, why can't god be too?

11. Ayodhya Registered Senior Member

Matter usually isn't sentient.

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

what unique properties does sentience possess that disqualifies god's consciousness from being eternal? (given that one can accept matter as eternal)

13. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Cause god represents an ideology. NOT an actual being. If god would represent an actual being it would live out it's day according to all living things in the universe "key word here Lg. *living*" It be born, live its few decades etc..then it would die. However since god is just n ideological manifestation of primitive humans mentality it basically grew stronger, as we evolved.

I.E first primitive gods, had certain realms that they controlled, Look up Greek Gods, on google you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about, when civilizations clashed, those gods got replaced, by the triumphant clan's gods, making the defeated clans god's sub-gods, minor gods, and so on...Look under Astrotheology in google and you'll know what I'm talking about..

14. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

15. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Matter must have had a beginning point, according to the second law of thermodynamics.

16. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

:bugeye:

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I don't doubt that religion has its poltical aspects, but then it would be difficult to conceive of anything that bears a wide social influence that doesn't have a political influence (there are even politics within science, particularly when it comes to budgets and receiving grants)

To get back on track however, I was raising the q that if one can accept that matter, or some aspect of it, is eternal (after all, where did the matter come from?) what is it particularly about the nature of god's consciousness that disqualifies his consciousness from being eternal.

You say that "god is an imagination etc" but that is a bit of a circular argument however you don't establish any logical fallacy with the proposed idea, except to say that "you are wrong because you are wrong"

You suggest that because no one has seen the consciousness of God (*apparently - at least not according to saintly people, but anyway, we will put that aside for the moment*) therefore he cannot possibly be eternal - but then no one has seen the eternal qualities of matter either (its all temporary), so its not clear what general principles you are applying

18. Kendall ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

Because when I had no one to trust and the law was wrong, a book called the bible had the answers and the truth was called gods word, gods word was exactly what made my world make sense, it confirmed me when I was right and told me what I did wrong, I needed so badly to know that

19. Genie Registered Member

God exists

He exists

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  20. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: That's the typical story of someone who's had a brush with the law. I feel sure you had a sense of what was right or what was wrong without the use of an emotional crutch. However, you read into it what you need to find as to the answers for which you are seeking. I can even understand that when one is incarcerated (for whatever reason), there is not much hope to be found from fellow inmates or from prison services, so the bible becomes a readily convenient source of assumed answers for the desperate when access to anything else doesn't exist.

In Texas, every inmate receives a new copy of the bible -- even if the inmate is Muslim or Jewish or Buddhist, they get their free bible. I would venture to say that many of them actually read it as there is not much reading material otherwise.

My point is, that one will glean from the bible (or any other book, for that matter) what one needs emotionally or intellectually, regardless of whether the book states the truth or not.

IMO, prison is not a very different scenario from church where one is told what to read and believe. One will find miracles when none are there. One will find hope, because they desperately want it to be there. One could even find salvation, because that's what they've been told to look for. It's not what is written on the page but what we have been brainwshed to perceive in the mind. If we go looking for it, we'll find it. I think it is better to look within oneself for the answers one needs. The answers are there, and they haven't been adulterated by the false perception of others.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  21. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

Because they have told me a million times that he does,and I don't want to be barbecued in hell fire.

22. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Why do you believe in God?

How about this one:

If humans didn't have the ability to reason, would any human believe in God?

23. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

They wouldn't be human if they couldn't reason.