Why do we strive for survival?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Jewwy, May 19, 2011.

1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I don't usually lose sleep over something I don't have an answer for. But, I do think there's a good and reasonable answer that will be found sometime before the human race goes extinct, and I most likely won't be alive when it happens.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wellwisher Banned Banned

The DNA is useful because it is a good template molecule with very specific template relationships. Protein formation also depend upon exact template relations. Enzymes work because of very exact lock and key relationships and reform the exact same way again and again. None of this nuts and bolts is random but ordered.

If you assume a random path for evolution, this path has been one leading to these many expressions of exact order. Survival is the preservation of order and the avoidance of the terminal random that occurs at death, when all order breaks down back to solids (dust) liquids (water) and gases (CO2), each defined by random motion.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Yes, I suspect that we only perceive the whole concept as 'random' because the number of variables is too large for us to process presently.

Simply because we cannot identify the process and summarize it does not mean that it is not an orderly progression.

It only seems random to our limited field of view, IMO.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wellwisher Banned Banned

I agree with you, but I was being diplomatic. To support your hunch, here is an example of an unexplained practical problem with the classical approach;

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/watterson.pdf

In the above example, what holds together the stable folded protein state not predicted by classical methods, ends up weakly bound together, bordering on being unstable. Yet, the not predicted stable protein fold forms, and can remain stable.

It is like throwing the dice and getting seven all the time. It does not form by random predictions and remains stable in a solvent which should the model predicts will randomly collide and unstable it based on experimental binding energies.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012