Why do we chase imaginary little pieces of green paper?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 13, 2007.

1. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

If worth can be gained even by the imaginary, than the imaginary can have worth. Is this so, athiests?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

No argument against that, it's too obvious. But it's still a tangent from the original post/statement/question which was: "Money is only paper. Why do we let it affect our lives so much?"

And that's the issue I (and others) have been trying to deal with - not some offshoot thought on the general topic of money or paper currency.

The original statement is completely silly. Money isn't "only" paper and we DON'T "allow" it to affect our lives. It's integrated into our daily lives and allows things to operate MUCH easier than trying to do without it. The whole original premise is totally stupid and ignorant to the Nth degree. The poster might have just as well asked something else totally asinine like, "why do we bother eating since we'll just get hungry again later." That's my whole point here.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nasor Valued Senior Member

The counterfeit dollar bill does have value. So yeah, if you do work (counterfeiting) you can create something that has value (a counterfeit dollar). I'm not sure I see the problem...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MrManganese Registered Member

It takes not only work, but also involves risk, to counterfeit a dollar. One could say that the value of the counterfeit dollar comes from the risk associated with defying the enforcement of anti-counterfeiting laws. You could go a step further and say that the same enforcement is what gives value to any dollar. Of course, none of it would be possible if there weren't a utilitarian demand for the more abstract idea of currency, whose role can be filled by tangible [gold, silver, paper] or intangible [electronic] representations. Gold and silver weren't exactly useful materials, except insofar as they made good money. Each had a certain naturally enforced rareness to it. But why use those, when you can artificially enforce the rareness of money to meet the needs of a growing economy?

8. Fugu-dono Scholar Of Shen Zhou Registered Senior Member

Moolah makes the world go round. $_$ Don't you feel it everytime you hold money in your hand it screams 'you must love me'. I would sell my soul for riches (it helps that I don't believe in souls ne). Well at least it's more tangible than concept of a god. God can't dress and feed me but money can. :shrug:

9. mybreathyourlung Registered Senior Member

I follow you. And, yeah, your example makes perfect sense.