Why Do We Act Stiff/Differently Infront of Those Attractive To Us?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by MavRick, Dec 15, 2008.

1. MavRick Registered Member

Is there a scientific explanation for this cause? What exactly happens to our body that causes us to act strangely around them, and in some cases tend to avoid them (ie: sit farther away from them in class out of fear).

The reason I ask is because around all my friends and their female friends I really have an outgoing personality. But when a girl I'm really attracted to is around/watching/in the conversation I start feeling slightly stiff and I get much, MUCH more quiet than I normally do

So why does it happen and what can be done about it? Why do the most outgoing people go through this as well? I don't think the "you just dont wanna look stupid!" answers will suffice, because I know there is more to it than that, particularly because if I did a speech in front of the class it feels LESS awkward.

Is it because we're not prepared with things to say? Probably not...considering we're just so attracted to them that even being prepared with something wont help....

Any ideas?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

I was a judge for a big children's competition on saturday. They whispered to me that it's time for me to go up and give a speech, and my heart started moving. It was insane! Why the hell would I feel nervous? Making a mistake had little repercussions in the scope of things. You can rationalize your way out of anxiety a bit, but the only prefect solution I've found is that hard-core Buddhist meditation.

As for pretty girls, I used to be more nervous than I am now. In fact a hot girl doesn't phase me anymore. The more hotties you talk to, the less fearful you will be.

I think it is the fact that your 'ego' has so much at stake. The chance of a mistake makes you avoid the situation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. LogicTech Registered Member

Probably related to the fear that they might not like us back. I used to be that way at one time.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MavRick Registered Member

But do you guys know what's released in our bodies that makes us stiff (and please don't mind the double entendre lol)

For example, if we're afraid that we're going to get killed we may not get 'stiff' the same way and, instead, we maybe decide to fight, etc....know what I'm saying?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

We become self conscious, we want to be noticed, we want to impinge ourselves on their consciousness. We become anxious about what they think. We want them to be attracted to us, to say something that indicates they are.

Its a typical stress reaction. Adrenaline.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, see how much better it was in the old days when the guy just bashed the woman over the head with a club and dragged her into his cave and fucked her brains out? Geez, we've made things so much more complex for no reason!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max