Why do things tickle

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by skaught, Mar 17, 2011.

1. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I don't understand what it is. What is creating the sensation of being tickled. Why does it make us laugh? It also seems to me that children are far more ticklish than adults. I remember being horribly ticklish when I was a kid, but now there are only about two spots that tickle me. My right hip, which is really more painful than tickly, and the bottoms of my feet, which are terribly ticklish.

So, my question is, what the hell is it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

•touch (a body part) lightly so as to excite the surface nerves and cause uneasiness, laughter, or spasmodic movements

In 1897, psychologists G. Stanley Hall and Arthur Allin described a "tickle" as two different types of phenomena.[2] One type caused by very light movement across the skin. This type of tickle, called knismesis, generally does not produce laughter and is sometimes accompanied by an itching sensation.

Another type of tickle is the laughter inducing, "heavy" tickle, produced by repeatedly applying pressure to "ticklish" areas, and is known as gargalesis. Such sensations can be pleasurable or exciting, but are sometimes considered highly unpleasant, particularly in the case of relentless heavy tickling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tickling

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Ok, but why does it create that sensation?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Did you not read the article he linked to?

8. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I did after I posted yeah.

9. John99 Banned Banned

Nerve endings.