why do some theists believe in Darwinian evolution?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Jan Ardena, Aug 30, 2011.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Do I really credit this behavior only to theists?

See this recent exchange between myself and BillyT and AlexG - starting here.

What generalizations?

Compare
    Have you stopped beating your wife yet?
    to

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

The onus of clear communication lies largely with the the person speaking, or writing. Certainly the listener or reader must play a role, but if they say the words are ambiguous or obscure it is generally wrong to blame the listener or reader. the fault is more often than not that of the author.

To go on the offensive when ones words are misinterpreted is, therefore, an example of arrogance and perhaps evidence for lack of compassion. If on has sympathy for ones audience one will make more effort to be understood, blaming ones own shortcomings, not those of the audience.

If anything in the foregoing is not clear I shall be happy to rephrase, or articulate in more detail.

Yours with compassion (and a touch of irony, verging on sarcasm: but then I never claimed to be a nice guy.)

At least no such claim has been made in this thread.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Ophiolite,

In ths case, not only was the dialogue a question, which traditionally requires and answer, it was crystal clear, not ambiguos, not obscure.

These words weren't misinterpreted, they were understood, and the response was made to avoid the responsibility of giving an answer.

Every effort was made, and I would be surprised if anyone didn't understand the question, or how the question could possibly have come about as a response.

jan.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Typical Jan. Again.
    Post something obscure, claim it was understood (despite the numerous requests for clarification) and then blame the recipient for deliberately misunderstanding so as to avoid the "point".
    Don't you ever get bored of that particular tactic?
    Sorry, apparently not since you resort to it so often.

8. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Numerous requests you say?

jan.

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Speaking for myself there have been a number of occasions where I have made numerous requests for clarification. Which was not forthcoming.
    What you're doing here is part of the same pattern of behaviour.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's like talking to a wall, why bother?

11. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Gee, what part of "Most people tend to be like that anyway, so this is nothing special" did you not understand?

12. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Come and help us derive the Creator in a way that suffices for all rather than first running off and supposing all kinds of suppositions about what it does, which is only speaking for it, and going nowhere in many threads since the sure identification of it has not been done yet:

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2816554&postcount=98

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Spoken like a true god!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Perhaps it's time for you to get off your high horse and allow for being surprised.
    Really surprised, not feigning.

14. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

You know how a true god speaks?
    Or should I view that as a metaphor?

jan.

15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I think it would do you good to update your sarcasm radar.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

In light of your current discussion style, I wasn't being sarcastic.

jan.

17. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I was. You didn't see it; or didn't accept it.

18. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

True ...

But people do tend to have the drive to think of people as persons, as more than walls or robots, so we try to communicate with everyone.

19. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Now you are just being arrogant. You think it was clear. You think it was unambiguous. You think it was not obscure.

It seems, therefore, that I have failed to write clearly in my post to which the above was a responce. I'll try again. If the reader finds the writing unclear, to the extent that the writer thinks he has jumped to a conclusion, then in most cases the writing is unclear. It is not in the remit of the writer to judge the clarity of the communication: that is the role of the reader.

That is a supposition. A compasionate person would have assumed that the fault was theirs and made a further effort to be understood.

Once again, you would be surprised. You will not even entertain the possibility that you are the one who is obfuscating, obscuring and clouding the scene. When it is done so persitently it comes to look like deliberate, cynical policy. A cynicism that, through such repetition, emerges as a really nasty streak.

20. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Ophiolite,

Not necessarily, as not all circumstances are the same.

What do you base the claim of ''supposition'' on?
    As for me, I talk quite alot with the person to whom the question was directed.

:shrug: Do you think the use of the word compassion or lack of is necessary at this point?

I didn't say that.
    I said I would be surprised if anyone didn't understand the question or the nature of the question.

What is your problem with the question?

jan.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  21. Arioch Valued Senior Member

So I see that the debate has degraded into straw man arguments once again, which is a shame because I really like discussing evolution(as ethology is my field of choice), especially when I get a chance to disabuse the hell out of some notions.

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Read my frigging words. I stated that "then in most cases the writing is unclear". That excplicitly contains your "not necessarily" comment. Therefore you have avoided addressing the fact that your words are considered to be unclear.

It is a supposition because you suppose it to be so, you do not offer any evidendce to spport your supposition.

The word compassion is appropriate because in another thread I offered to point out to you examples of where you lacked compassion. Compassion has broader definitions than the one you have offered.

And as to your penultimate point, of course you didn't say that. that's the friggiing nature of the complaint. You avoid saying most things of substance, but imply a hell of a lot. The overall effect is of one who is intellectually dishonest and who despises those who disagree with them, feeling they are in some way sub-human.

And just so we are clear, I am not saying this is how you think, I am saying this is how you appear to think. If that is not your intention, then you are the one who is miscommunicating, you are the one who is repsonsible for any misinterpretation.

23. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Ophiolite,

I don't get you.
    Use the dialouge in question to point out where I'm being dishonest or whatever.

And I don't your point about compassion.

jan.