Why do Race threads usually get locked?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Lord Hillyer, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

They aren't, on average, any more combative than any other topic; indeed, political threads often are far more vicious.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I would prefer the distinction between science and politics be maintained.

I am willing to reopen a thread for genuine and civil discussion.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

To tell you the truth I don't see that many Grand Prix threads on the forums.

Seriously though, Race threads just suck the life right out of the forum.

If we are a community that attempts to live up to the claim of being intelligent, then it would be known that various academic institutes (Which we should follow in this particular instance) have specific rule sets against hatred in regards to Racism, Sexism, Sexual Preference, Religious Preference, Disability and Financial stability.

Admittedly the concerns in an Academic institute is for the Welfare of the Academics so they can study without being distracted, much the same as it should be here although it should be reminded that 'Racism' undermines 'Human Rights' and should never be tolerated.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

we are all equal. our skins are all of equal colors. our faces are all smiling. we wake up everyday at the same time of every year for entire life. we go to sleep at the same time as well. we all eat the same healthy food. we all are the same ethical people with same perspectives and mindset.

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Really? You know we all get up and go to sleep at the same time? LOL

We all eat the same healthy food? Do we??? haha

9. draqon Banned Banned

I was talking of distant future...were people are as clones and clones are as clouds in the sky the same color and creed floating above endlessly from nowhere to nowhere...forever.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It's because of SAM's law. It's the new goodwin type of law.

A thread on race will sooner rather than later be locked.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It is my arbitrary observation that discussion in race threads starts becoming inversely associated with civility after 200 posts, around 300 posts the correlation is close to -.9 and around 400 posts there is no possibility of salvage.

Hence if after 200 posts I see a trend towards personal comments, nonscientific demagogy and covertly racist comments I close the thread; however, as stated in forum rules under S&S and B&G, anyone wishing to continue with a discussion can PM me, since the thread has not completely derailed to a slugfest (or should I say if?), then there is no reason why it cannot be reopened, or a new one begun.

12. draqon Banned Banned

this thread is about race...its racist...it should be locked

13. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Let's have a moratorium on race threads. Why not?

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm agreeable. 3 days of closure in case of high emotions? 1 day?

15. Grandtheftcow Registered Member

Its a sensitive subject that a lot of people are uncomfortable with. If the locks are due to board policy, moderator bias, or like Stryder said academic PCism I don't know.

Ideally I'd prefer a board that has the freedom to discuss a subject no matter how controversial. However those boards are rare since the most sensitive members tend to become staff members.

16. DeepThought Banned Banned

Fear.

Fear of our own intensely powerful yearnings to submit to our true desires... our real natures... and destroy those amongst us who are different.

17. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

To me it not a matter of sensitivity. I am happy discussing race issues with pretty much anyone.

I don't really see what happens here as discussions. I don't see exploration. It is an exchange, but in the sense of gunfire not ideas. Bang. Then a resonding bang.

It seems like a waste of time.

Now wastes of time don't necessarily lead to moratorium. But I really could see no loss if these thread disappeared for a while. What would we lose? Would racists feel silenced? Would they miss the discussions? Would there be sadness because racists and anti-racists are not moving toward consensus?

What would we lose?

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

19. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Because people like you turn them into racial superiortiy threads. You and Count Doku, Princess James, Deepthought, Abu, Baron, all share the same views. Some are more overt like Count, and some are covert like you!

20. DeepThought Banned Banned

That different races are entitled to respect and self-integrity?

Those are views you should share.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Deep Thought, you remind me of PJ.

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Vicious political discussions are about what people choose to believe. Vicious racial attacks are about what people are. There's a difference.

I'm sorry, I thought people understood this.

23. DeepThought Banned Banned

Go on... let me have it then.... whose PJ?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007