Why do ppl like Stephen Hawking so much

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by ericdaniels, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Moderator Note:

Received, considered, dismissed.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

"A lot of people hate my skepticism, and I think I understand why. The psychics offer wonders and endless possibilities in a world that often seems difficult and mundane. They promise health, wealth, wisdom, eternal life. But if you examine the record, it's not the psychics but the hard-nosed scientists who have actually delivered the things that improve human life. And, to me, science describes a world far more interesting than any psychic fantasy. It's a good world - not perfect - but it's ours. So we'd better learn to live with it, the way it is."
    —James Randi​

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Emil Valued Senior Member

Well said. A good quote.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Seconded.

8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

meanwhile your molars rot

:shrug:

9. Neverfly Banned Banned

Feel free to pray about that while I go see my dentist.

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Not even the dentist you see can stop his own molars rotting

11. Neverfly Banned Banned

Ummm... That's debatable. Even so, in a pinch, he can also visit a dentist.
    That said, do you have any evidence that prayer can stop molars from rotting out?

Do you have any evidence at all that prayer does anything at all?

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

not really
    molars rot

Doesn't matter if you are in a room full of dentists - your molars will rot

Right from the start religion tends to be clear about the nature of material existence and alternatives
    Depends what you are allowing within the control group of "prayer"

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

My molars will not rot. Not even after the rest of me does.

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

incorrect
    they have are and will
    :shrug:

15. Neverfly Banned Banned

Still debatable. You need to set a time frame in which to cover "rot".
    Many people well past middle age have molars intact due to maintenance and care for their teeth. Those that die- only have their molars rot because... they are dead.

Since you have zero evidence for any of these 'alternatives,' pointing out the nature of physical bodies has no meaning as compared to those alternatives.

The quote you addressed, by James Randi points out the inevitability of death- and even rot.
    While religion offers nothing more than words, Scientific study and practice has benefited us with actual procedures, medicines and therapies. Research and study has given us these very computers and servers which we use to debate our topics from great distances.
    Meanwhile, religion has given us bias, judgments of others, fears of wrathful jealous Gods, an afterlife of supposed bliss or torment and not one bit of Hard, Tangible, evidence that any bit of it has reality.

Substantiated, verifiable and independent evidence.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's the one part of the body that is permanent! And if they rot, science can replace them. At least it can understand the relationship between sugar and the formation of acids in the mouth. It can formulate realistic ceramic inserts. I would say, a dentist provides more pain relief to a population than a church.

17. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Atheists are not without their driveway moments of awe. Here's one for me. Kind of makes me misty just to tell it.

Don't you get it? This is probably the first time in recorded history that these particular words and ideas come together here, right here under the Big Top - where irony, angst and ripe laundry meld together and synthesize this newer-than-"the medium is the message" insight into the ultimate of ultimates, and as demonstrated, the once disparaged idea of spontaneous creation... Here we have a sterling example of how something comes from nothing (& vice versa)... Which is why friends, Stephen Hawking rules and all else drools.

Can I get hear a Yeah! for Steve-baby!!

Big Top lights switch to full UV. Emerging from a cloud of CO[sub]2[/sub] we find, amid the roar of the crowd and the stench of burnt rope, in full suede regalia, the Dubes and their wonderful tribute to legedary hero Stephen Hawking...

(mic feedback)

Ladies and Gentlemen, please join in for the invocation and doxology of the Atheist Religious Federation (ARF), in this fitting tribute to our folk rock-hero and superstar bar none STEVEN HAWKINGS, yeah baby, just sing along, folks, just remember now, to swap STEVEN for JESUS. We all know there's no Jesus, right? So what the hell. Here we go now. (Where'd I put my bongos man?) OK here we go now:

UH ONE-UH AN-UH TWO-UH AN-UH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3aYJibxMOQ&feature=related

Yeah, I don't care what they may say cuz STEVEN is just alright.

18. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

spidergoat's ceramic alternatives will outlive the threadbare disavowals of best evidence. If anything, the teeth of science have only recently erupted and the outlook is bright for a long life of hearty appetite, based on the best fruits of knowledge and hard work. After all, the quest for knowledge is one of the alternatives to some particular definitions of "material existence".

19. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Moderator Note:
    I've corrected the thread title, because it's been bugging me.
    The mans name is Stephen Hawking, not Steve Hawking and not Steve Hawkings.

20. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Darn, that blows my pun. Estefan, Esteban maybe? In any case Dr. Hawking deserves the credit, awards, medals, honors and degrees he has earned, not only for his actual contributions to understanding black holes, and for expanding the discourse on the Big Bang, but for reaching out to average people, to try to help improve general knowledge. And he stands as a remarkable role model to any person who is disabled or suffering self pity or low self esteem. It's too bad the correct spelling of his name isn't common knowledge.

Stephen Hawking is living proof that the frequent attacks on science, as a smug conspiracy of illuminati, etc., is utterly bogus. Here is a man who struggled most of his life against the ravages of nature, only to fight it back, dissect it, and tell us something about how it works.

If that's not greatness I don't know what is. Who would want to throw darts at that?

21. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Do they? I'm 54 and still have all my teeth. No cavities, no fillings, no problems at all. :shrug:

22. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Hmmm, no one told ya?...Yeah, they rot at 55...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

This thread seems to have gotten off track a bit. I believe he has tremendous name recognition because he is not only a great thinker, he's a very impressive human being doing what he has in the condition he's in.

But I have to wonder about his voice. Anybody could use it and nobody could tell that it wasn't him. I wouldn't be surprised if it was continued to be used after his death. After all why waste a good thing if you don't have to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.