Why do people resent the wealthy?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Norsefire, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

And as I said, most wealthy people are entrepreneurs; a small percentage of them inherit their wealth. And another part of the American dream is wealth and passing it on to your children.

Yet this brings up an idea: why fuss? We can have separate taxes for wealthy people that own and operate enterprises and are entrepreneurs, and heirs of wealth. One can be near zero, and the other can be a bit higher. See? There we go.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

But you see, entrepreneurs can only be successful if there is a demand. The demand does not originate in wealthy people, so there is no need to worship them as the generators of general prosperity.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

They meet the demands; that's where successful entreprneurs find wealth. They see a demand and fill it in; many of them are innovators and dreamers, too.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

I want to know why the wealthy resent the less fortunate? And why do they segregate themselves from the poor, and middle class? Why are they precluded from marrying who they want? Money often marries money, it has nothing to do with love.

Also, the Telegraph posted a very interesting article, about a self made millionaire who decided to give it all up. I don't necessarily agree with his decision but still interesting none the less.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...es-away-fortune-which-made-him-miserable.html

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't begrudge them their success, and high taxes do not rob them of it.

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

The first statement is accurate, but the second one requires a bit of though, SP.

Just as I told someone else (Asguard, I believe), what condition would you and everyone else be in if those of us who own all of the publicly-traded corporations withdrew ALL our money in cash??? Those companies would fail overnight, millions would be put out of work - and then WHO is going to supply all the things you need even to just survive???

10. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

They rob them of alot; they shouldn't have to pay more than anyone else, just because they have more. Everyone should enjoy lower taxes, poor and rich alike. See? Easy.

High taxes particularly hurt the wealthy that aren't fabulously wealthy; I'm talking about the people that are considered "wealthy" but aren't millionaires or billionaires. People like surgeons or small business owners: high taxes can hurt them alot, especially in saving up to buy a house or for re-investment.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Hurt them so much they cannot feed their families? Until no one in America goes to bed hungry, I have no sympathy. Progressive taxation is the only fair taxation, because money means less to people that have a lot of it.

12. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Once again, if you care so much, go and spend your valuable time helping people, and donate and get others to do so too.

Progressive taxation isn't fair; it's like saying Subway Sandwiches are going to charge you more just becuase you can pay more, for the same sandwich that somebody else is ordering.

The government's role isn't to babysit people; instead, we ought to be responsible ourselves and help the needy. Thus we must reduce government and taxes, and let people create and enjoy their own wealth. Progressive taxation might be something that the regressive Europeans engage in, but it's not American and it's not civilized.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We can do it the easy way or the bloody way, your choice.

14. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

it may be but iv seen about 8 teenagers this month alone driving $140k+ cars and even overheard one bitching that it was the wrong color

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

So? That proves nothing.:shrug: People all across the board complain about what they have/don't have.

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Do what? Help poor people? Charities aren't bloody.

17. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

if your 16 and your parents buy you a car over 140,000usd you dont bitch about it, less fortunate people spend less on a house

18. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You're completely missing the point. REGARDLESS of what they have, some people are always going to complain. So I ask you again - so what? (Sounds to me like you're just jealous, period.)

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Reduce the disparity between rich and poor. Progressive taxation prevents bloody revolutions.

20. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

SP, why haven't you responded to my post where I asked you a direct question??

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The demand would still exist, and someone would fill it. What would happen if the demand vanished? Total economic collapse.

22. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Most people feel that how much money a person makes should have some connection to their intelligence, education, how hard they work, and in general how much they contribute to society. When it comes to ultra-rich people with fantastic amounts of wealth, it starts to become hard to believe that they're actually working hard enough and contributing enough to society to justify their wealth. Maybe the doctor or engineer who brings in $200k/year really is ten times as smart and hard working as the janitor or waiter who bring in only $20k/year, but is the stock speculator or CEO making, say, $20 million/year really a thousand times smarter and harder working? It then seems that rather than being justly and proportionally rewarded for hard work and intelligence, the stock speculator/CEO/whatever has either 1) just gotten lucky or 2) found a way to exploit the system so as to extract a lot more wealth than their work could possibly justify.

23. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Not for a VERY long time - because they wouldn't have the means NOR the ability. It would be chaos!!!!

You fail to understand, there would be NO transportation (oil companies gone) NO public utilities (natural gas, water, electricity - companies all folded) NO food supplies due to lack of transportation, NO hospitals - because of NO drugs, supplies, power or heat.

In other words, you didn't even START to think about the problem at all !!!!