Why do people resent the wealthy?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Norsefire, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney has spent $10.2 million on television advertising this year (2007) -- a record amount at this point in a presidential campaign -- according to new data provided to CNN.

and another

Whitman collected $10.2 million from donors last year but pulled far ahead of the gubernatorial pack by putting in another $39 million of her own wealth. Brown raised more than $8 million last year for his yet-to-be-declared gubernatorial campaign.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Utter nonsense; the government is making many mistakes that they are responsible for, not us. What do the rich have to pay for? Some roads, defense, and courts, at most. What else? They use the least public services. Do not throw this silly idea out that whatever blunder the government makes, "the rich have used it to make money and must pay for it"; many of the wealthy had no part in these record deficits, bailouts, and stupid mistakes, so it's entirely unfair to make them pay. The deal isn't that the citizens will pay for anything the government does; the deal is that the citizens will pay for a constitutional, limited government, and that isn't really what we have, is it? So don't try to make it sound like the wealthy owe you anything. They don't.

You're not hurt if I am rich.

Exactly, and it is this insidious mentality that is touted by the left as being oh-so "civilized".

Of course government makes poor decisions, sometimes. Like the bailouts.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

how exactly is that relivent to the difference in pay between the CEO of woolworths (8,000,000), an AUSTRALIAN company and the PM (350,000) of Australia?

If you like we can compare what the president of the US does compared to say the multi million (if not BILLION) salery of the executives for say Morgan and Sacks? or Leamons? Who actually earns there pay?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

The executives. Politicians don't do much, except cause problems.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh, I thought we were talking about this :shrug:

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yes orleander, a pollie IN AUSTRALIA. If the US citizans refuse to vote in such away to make public office, public SERVICE thats hardly the fault of the Australian PM or an excuse for Woolworths CEO to be paid 16 times his sallery (which if you actually read the conversation is what mad and i were talking about)

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

People don't have much sympathy for the rich, because they do not suffer like the rest of us. They are able to take what would transform the lives of most people and exchange it for baubles that mean nothing like cars that cost more than your house.

11. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

couldnt agree more why the hell do you need a car that costs over 500k?

12. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Why should people be relegated to only buying things they need?

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's problematic to create any kind of law about that. I'm just trying to express why the rich gain little sympathy, especially when it comes to influencing legislation that makes them even more rich.

14. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

so you would rather have our economy fail than bailout the banks?

15. WillNever Valued Senior Member

The majority of rich people are not even involved in government. All of them just happen to benefit from the laws that are helped to pass by the ones who *are* involved. That doesn't make it any more logical to blame the ones who don't have anything to do with it.

16. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

why should we set up our goverment to allow the rich people to get richer the poor people to get poorer and the middleclass to be stuck where theyre at?

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's somewhat decieving, their wealth means only a few of them are necessary to exert a disproportional influence on the political process.

18. WillNever Valued Senior Member

How does that make it logical to resent wealthy people who don't influence laws, which most don't..?

19. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

wealthy people can get out of anything willNever, laws set up to protect the general public can be ignored by the wealthy, if you have enough money, you can quite literally get away with murder,

they dont influence laws no but laws dont apply to them

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Because of the disproportional political power they represent.

21. WillNever Valued Senior Member

They represent, but don't have or use. It makes no sense to resent someone simply for existing, as you are doing.

22. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

That's what you get when you work hard. It's one of the rewards of wealth, you see: luxury and well-being. So, go at it, tiger! There are opportunities abound out there, if only you stop waiting for handouts and go after them.
    Why do you need a TV? A computer? A large home? An iPod? A birthday celebration?

All of these things are unnecessary wastes of money, by your logic. Right?

So you want the rich to get poorer? I don't know about you, but I want the rich to get richer, the poor to get richer, and the middle class to get richer.

Their vote counts as "one" just like everyone elses.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, they are able to buy more Democracy than you and me. They fund special interest groups and pay lobbyists.