Why do people believe in god?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by LuckAse, Feb 22, 2010.

1. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I "believe" there are many unanswered questions. I also "believe" that the concept of "god" raises many more questions than it answers.

My standard response when someone asks me if I believe in god is to ask them to define the word. Most people reply with something like, "You know - GOD!". As if putting emphasis on the word is a definition.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Has anyone ever asked you if you believe there is a God?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

God would be the First and Fundamental creative entity who made the universe to be exactly how it is, by specific design of its certain characteristics; however, that cannot be, since complexity must come later, not first, for it is dependent on its make-up.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gmilam Valued Senior Member

That's how I intepret the question "Do you believe in god?" so - yes.

I'll spare you my usual response and actually answer... No, I do not believe in an athropomorphic father figure who loves us and has a plan for our eternal salvation. I find the idea incredibly improbable to the point of ludicrous.

If you're willing to accept the concept of the universe and god being one and the same. Then, of course, the universe obviously exists. This raises the question "Is the universe alive and conscious?". I can't answer that except to say I am alive and conscious and I am a small part of the universe.

8. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

How would you interpret the question "Do you believe in the solar system?", or "Do you believe in elephants?" ?

9. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I KNOW there is a solar system, and I KNOW there are elephants.

I don't see your distinction between "do I believe in god" and "do I believe there is a god". Sounds like the same question to me.

10. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

But you have no problem seeing a distinction between believing there is a solar system or elephants, and believing "in" those things.

Why is that?

11. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I KNOW there is a solar system - I've seen elephants. No belief required. :shrug:
    I don't understand your point...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  12. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

But you do understand that the question about believing in God means, at least to you, that the question is about believing if God exists.

And you understand at the same time that believing in elephants doesn't mean the same as believing elephants exist. You're able to make this distinction because you know elephants exist. You don't know God exists, but you must know that other people believe this, however to you there is no distinction.

So it isn't really surprising that you don't understand what my point is, then.

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

No, the problem here that those who say they "believe in god" actually *mean* they believe "god exists".
    They cannot believe IN god unless he does exist.

14. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

What if instead they say they believe God exists, and they don't say they believe in God?

Like gmilam says he believes elephants exist because, well, because he knows elephants exist. So if someone says they believe God exists do they mean they know God exists?

Talk about labouring the point. But here we are, then.
    Oh, and just one more detail:
    Are you saying that knowing something exists means you don't need to believe it exists?? Really?

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Hmm, my mistake, it seems.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/believe

They're effectively synonymous.
    Ah well, live and learn.

I believe in god = I believe god exists.

Edit:
    Not at all. Belief is not knowledge.

16. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

If someone says they know God exists, and that's why they believe God exists, what do you think they mean?

And yes, I think "believe in" is a way to imply something else. For instance "if you believe in me" probably means: "if you believe in my good intentions". "Believe in God" probably means: "believe in the existence of God", but could also mean "believe in God's good intentions". It's a way to leave some blanks you can fill in, or imply something which remains unstated.

How about "do you believe you should believe in things, or just know about them?"

17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

That they've convinced themselves that their belief has a factual basis.

If one is claiming knowledge then the subject of that claim must be true (among other things).
    If it were factual and true that god exists how come the evidence isn't widely available?
    Why isn't that fact available for others to check?

18. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Do you mean: it must be true for the claimant?
    Why do you believe it isn't widely available, or that others can't check "that fact"?

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

No. If something is true it's true. If it's only "true" for the claimant and not others then it's not true.

Are you claiming that we have such evidence available for checking?
    This is news indeed.

20. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

So if I claim I'm a millionaire and this isn't true for others, then it's "not true"??

Yeah, but I don't think it's very recent news, though. Actually it goes back a ways.

You said: "Belief is not knowledge", but if you know you're a millionaire, surely you would believe it as well? Or using a more fundamantal example: do you know anyone who knows they have a job, and doesn't believe it? Or who knows they own a car, and doesn't believe they own a car?

21. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Oops, error.
    If you claim that YOU are a millionaire then this is a verifiable claim (fact) and others will agree that YOU are a millionaire.
    If you claim that it is true (i.e. a fact) that god exists and that fact is not verifiable as such then it is not true. For anyone.
    You're comparing apples and oranges.

Oh, so you're claiming post-dated "eyewitness" accounts (about someone who probably never actually existed) are reliable evidence? (Presuming you're making a reference to the bible).
    A book that claims it's true because god dictated it and god exists and is honest because that book says so?

I wish you wouldn't do that!
    Knowledge includes belief, but belief on its own is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is, at its simplest, a justified, true belief.
    Belief on its own may or may not be true (or even justified).

22. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Interesting.
    Do you believe that's true, or do you know it's true? The existence of God is not verifiable "as such" for anyone?

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

If it were truly verifiable we'd have done so, announced it and made it part of science.
    What "evidence" we have (or is claimed to be available) is not subject to such verification.