Why do people believe in God? - results

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by James R, Jul 4, 2003.

1. TheVisitor The Journey is the Reward Registered Senior Member

since matter/energy (the stuff everything in the universe is made of) cannot be destroyed or created only changed
    ----------------
    Who told you this.......? some atheist scienetist?
    Consider the source.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. P. M. Thorne Registered Senior Member

In response to joshalden:

What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Actually, I fail to see that Q25 agrees with you inasmuch as you obviously know there is a God.

Interesting that you said age eight. This was a significant age for me as well, at which time I began a more serious and self searching independent thinking. Everything you wrote spoke to me of your open-mindedness. With so many busy in attempting to discredit those who would claim to know their creator, I have to wonder why. (Just as they wonder I suppose.)

We have to be still, and empty ourselves, purge our files, if you will. Spinoza wrote that we should engage in nothing that distracts us from our purpose. (paraphrased) Sin, to me, is simply anything that does not serve us well.
    Those things we should lay aside. And, trying to prove that God is, does not serve me well, I can only share what I know, which is little, and what I believe, which is much. I too am in a process and shall be until I leave this body.

Kindest regards, PMT

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

I agree with P.M.T., what a beautiful post Joshalden. I also find it curious that age 8 was a stand out time in my life. I have also read that the early thirties is another one. Being 34, I don't have the hindsight to be able to see it right now, but I am sure it is large growth and discovery time for me.

Jonathan,
    I wasn't ignoring your comments, just not able to reply (work). I appreciate your point of view. You, as I did then, seem to have a heart for God and organized religion. That is wonderful if it serves you well. As for me I didn't find that it served me well, so I reached out and started looking for answers. I've looked and studied on and off for about 15 years and have become more serious in the last 5. I don't try to dissuade anyones beliefs. I like to have constructive conversations. As far as the Bible goes....I agree with some of its basic concepts but in many ways I disagree. There have been too many "fingers in the pie" so to speak. Too many books left out, too many people changing things to agree with their motives.

M*W,
    I appreciate your posts as well. I don't think I am really looking for confirmation that "God" and I are one. I believe all is God. Good, bad, ugly doesn't matter. And yes for those who are about to type it even seriel killers and child molesters, even Hitler. God is beyond the duality of good and evil. It is our perception of things and how are society judges things that make it good or evil. Societies of cannibals don't think its bad or evil to eat people. It is a learned response. It's conceptually learned responses to what others have taught us.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

8 for me too.
    I mean I didn't become a hardcore atheist at age 8, still was a little worried about calling god a "motherfucker" in my head and would apologise when I did, but its when I started having doubts.
    Its also the year I read the book "the trials of life" by david attenborough which had a huge affect on me.
    Its odd that darwin too started having doubts of god when he learned about animals, which is all the "trials of life" is, a book about animal behaviour, never says anything about god, it just made me question what the bible says because the natural world happens to contradict it in many ways.
    And today, the consistency i see in theists is that they don't pay attention to animals or really know anything about them.
    Its a strange connection buts its definately there.

8. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

9. ardcarmvk Registered Member

My thoughts on the above comment are that my emotion is derived from a personality type that despises irrational thinking. It irks me to no end that so many believe blindly in a faith in its literal sense.
    I think that religion had its place explaining the unexplainable of its time, just as many belief systems of the past like greek mythology.