Why do many Americans believe in God?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Saint, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

I would update myself on Quantum theory. Death is an illusion.

http://www.robertlanzabiocentrism.com/is-death-an-illusion-evidence-suggests-death-isnt-the-end/

http://beforeitsnews.com/paranormal...that-death-is-an-illusion-videos-2491082.html

Consciousness continues after the death of the physical body.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

What does faith have to do with believing in God? I used the word faith as a synonym for both religion and supernatural belief. In the general sense, there is a close relationship in that very few people claim to have direct evidence of God and therefore must be taking his existence on faith. As for the ones who do claim to have direct evidence, they can't produce this evidence to demonstrate to others, and therefore those others who follow them must do so on the basis of faith.

I don't see the point of "this point".
    Many Americans, as other nationalities, claim not to believe in a god quite simply because, as in my case, they do not. Why we do not believe varies from person to person.
    I don't even see the reason for your departure from the OP.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

As Jeeves says, mostly because they as well as us in Australia were born into it:
    Why do we accept religion and believe in a god? It gives people a longing and a comfort and purpose in being....a reason if you will.
    Although I sense that as long as we are able to withstand our own follies and stupidity as a human race, and as long as we can avoid any catastrophic astronomical doomsday scenario, that slowly as science enlightens and explains in more lucid terms that an all powerful omnipotent god is not needed and the how and why we are here, that religion will gradually die away and be just a long distant memory of the beliefs of our ancient ancestors.
    We are in fact an insignificant example of evolution on a planet just lucky enough to be in an appropriate position orbiting an appropriate star, in the outer suburbs of an average galaxy in a near infinite, if not infinite universe filled with uncountable numbers of similar planets and stars.
    I offer as exhibit A the following......

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

No.

Thy truth is in your head!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Again. This is simply repeating the same tired "Consciousness and love are dead and we live in a universe of no intelligent self-designing awareness nor guidance and thus of no importance".

It's too dark an image to care.

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

That's about the size of it my friend.

Dark, light, ominous, scary, uncomfortable or whatever, that is what the evidence tells us.
    We are in fact an insignificant example of evolution on a planet just lucky enough to be in an appropriate position orbiting an appropriate star, in the outer suburbs of an average galaxy in a near infinite, if not infinite universe filled with uncountable numbers of similar planets and stars.

9. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

Again, no. I do not promote this insidious view.

Again, you are dead wrong. The material is emergent.

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No, I'm 100% right. That is what the evidence tells us: But you are in the religious forum, so you go right ahead.

11. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

• Please do not insult other members.

No, you are 100% wrong. Or ~100% wrong.

You do not even comprehend that we are immortal and body cannot live without spirit poo poo.

Learn a little bitta science and you may just one day become correct.

As for now you are the opposite of knowledgeable. As in ignorant. Pathetic really. Do you eat your own poo and drink your piss?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  12. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I wonder why so many dogmatists revert to elementary-school jibes when contradicted.
    Surely, a civilized god wouldn't approve such language? But then again, given his history - who can tell what he approves?

As for meaning and purpose -
    Why does anyone require a ready-made cult to provide them? Autonomous adults make their own.

13. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

Because it is better to poo out of one's anus than to eat it.

You have it backwards. Religion is the result of meaning and purpose. It's the same reason there are other kinds social unities on the Maslow's hierarchy. Your hatred and despise for love and kindness is quite evident.

14. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

How so? In which of my words do you read hatred? In which post have I mentioned love or kindness in a negative way?

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I certainly understand science and the way it operates, and I also understand religion, and the magic pixies in the sky that are resultant from those religions, and I also understand the complete anxiety of poor souls like you that are unable to accept science and what it has revealed, particularly in making yours and all other deities near redundant.
    With regards to my shit and piss and your pathetic comments, they just reinforce how desperate gullible god fearing fanatics such as yourself can stoop to.
    Let me again give you exhibit A

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The poo and piss appears to be coming out of your mouth in actual fact.

And religions also result in wars, killings, inquisitions, more wars, more killings, arrogance etc

17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Believer or non-believer - neither seems to have much of a positive effect on how we treat other people.
    Perhaps God vs. no God should be verboten until we can discuss it with dignity.

18. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

Forgive my insult but I found your ignorance to be truly of great magnitude. It was anything but admirable.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  19. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I don't think that obsession is related to religion.

20. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

I see.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Except the ignorance and sewer talk came from you: You seem to revel in both.
    But as I said, you are in the religious/myth section.

22. Saint Valued Senior Member

In America,
    can you get tax reduction by giving money to church?

23. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Tithes are deductible if the church has tax exempt status. Donations to registered charities are deductible, whether church-sponsored or secular.