Why do intelligent people smoke tobacco?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by CarpetDiem, Oct 25, 2008.

1. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Smoking makes the most intelligent people more intelligent & the least intelligent less intelligent.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

I smelt a cigarette butt one day in school, decades back. It was lovely and I easily saw it was going to be addictive once I smoked, given I have addictive tendencies for several less harmful things - computer games, specific foods, occasional laziness etc.

I never smoked one puff so far.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

The vast majority of people who are very intelligent in some ways are not in many others.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. vslayer Registered Senior Member

there are a million things out there that could kill me, so why take away an enjoyable one? i have to die eventually.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

For fun. I am not a smoker and all forms of cigarette smoke smells and tastes like burnt paper to me. However, I have a smoker friend and I occasionally go with her to a smoke store and we try out different connoisseur cigarettes and cigars. They still taste and smell like burnt paper, just different kinds of burnt paper

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ain't it neat ?

10. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Fucking awsome, Skaught!
    Never look back.
    My mother-in-law had a lung transplant and watching her go throught that was eye opening to say the least.
    I quit, but her husband and children still smoke. Amazing that a legal drug can have that much power over some people.

I guess to get up in the morning, we all have to have some degree of faith. Smoking is some people's way of starring death in the eye, as if to say "I'm not afraid of you".
    What's more, even after the transplant my mother-in-law voted against the public smoking ban on the Ohio ballot, last year.

11. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

It is a powerful addiction. I have a friend who went in for a routine exam, and they got concerned about a rattle they heard in his chest. Gave him a chest X-ray and ran some tests and said "it looks like Lung cancer". He was freaking out real bad. Went in for some further tests to verify, and it turned out to only be some scar tissue. A week later he was back at it. Despite being told it could easily turn to cancer.

12. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i gave up smoking when i fell pregnant with my little boy, but then after he was born started again, but one day i had an awful cold and just decied to stop because it made me cough all the time, and i understand the point you made about it making peoples houses stink because my best friend is a chain smoker and her house stinks of it, so does her clothes, and even her, her kids stink of it, and so does they're clothes,

i didnt go to a support group to quit i just had enough one day and just stopped, i find though that when i have a drink i crave one then, but i tend to take myself out of the situation and do somthing else

13. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

wtf?

cigars taste like tobacco

I am like you... every once in a while I'll go and try something
    I have a taste for cigars, but I don't have a habit of smoking anything.

My sister in law is living with us, and she is all kinds of nice, but she smokes inside the house and I really wish she didn't. It makes it smell horrible here.

14. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

As th the OP, I consider myself to be intelligent, and I smoke tobacco because I am a strong believer that you should try everything at least once. Life only happens to you once, and it is to short to live depriving yourself of sensations, good or bad.
    I am, however, intelligent enough not to make an addiction out of anything.

15. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

because it's a drug, and even intelligent people want to self-destruct. even moreso than stupid people it seems sometimes. after all, ignorance is bliss.

16. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

If ignorance is bliss, why are the ignorant so mean?

17. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Meanness keeps people from disturbing one's ignorance and thus the bliss.

18. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Aww fuck. 10 months down the drain

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Damn man... that sucks

20. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Ehh. I hacked a lung up, only took two drags and put it out. Broke the rest in half and threw them away. I'll pick right up where I left off.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Only two drags.. that doesn't have to mean you started again.

22. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

True. But I prided myself on not having smoked AT ALL for ten months. I wont call this a relapse, just a lapse. And a minor lapse at that. If anything, it taught me that I can't really go back at this point, cause its too gross. And didn;t do for me what I was seeking.

23. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Because as Callicles observed in Plato's Gorgias, to an epicurean, pleasure can cause happiness and can be a more immediate and fulfilling good than intellect.

Personally I think it tastes bad mostly. But when my intellect is impaired I have been known to dabble.

You are still mortal no matter how many cigarettes you smoke. And you only live once. Quite logical actually.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008