Why do intelligent people smoke tobacco?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by CarpetDiem, Oct 25, 2008.

1. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

the most satisfying thing in the entire world is having a massive steak then a smoke then a shit.nothing beats it.
    im not only addicted to nicotine,i am very strongly addicted to the act.it gives me something to do with my hands and mouth and i like the feeling of inhaling smoke.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Take up juggling, it's way more fun and people will clap instead of glaring at you and coughing.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

i dont stand for that,if people dont like me smoking they can fuck the fuck off. had a 50 year old aussie try to do that to me in a bar the other day.piss off and find a non-smoking bar if you dont like smoke.
    also juggling doesnt take care of my mouth.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Sadly yes.
    I once started the habit when I was in a depressed stage of my life.. I purposely got addicted just for the hell of it. I couldn't care less..
    That's a pretty self-destructive mindset. Now I can't stop.. well of course I can stop, but it's hard and, in fact, I have to face the reality that I actually don't want to stop at all.
    I'm convinced that if a person really wants to stop smoking he/she will do it.

8. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Hence, why many people quit when they're given 6 months to live. I'm sorry, but if I only have 6 months, I'm going to smoke away.

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

On the question at hand

Two short answers.

(1) Addiction. See Fraggle's post on that count.
    (2) My friends and I have a saying; I don't know where it originates: "There's a difference between knowledge and wisdom. For instance, I know that cigarettes will kill me. This is knowledge. But that doesn't mean I'm wise enough to stop smoking.​

And that latter is as true today as ever.

Good luck. I quit a year ago, and only made it into the summer before I picked it back up. I'm currently in the process of trying to quit again. Chantix worked well for the quitting. It was my own stupid decision to start again; I actually thought I could control it.

Knowledge and wisdom, sir. Knowledge and wisdom.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What if they tell you that you can perhaps live another year if you quit ? That's a six month difference.. eventually people just want to live.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Very true.
    People always say they're going to quit.. and most of them never make it. It becomes laughable after a while..
    If you are going to quit dpn't make a big fuss about it.. it just goes to show that you don't believe you have the strength to do it. By telling everybody about it you are hoping to make some kind of commitment to them so you can't back out of your decision. It's all delusion, at some point you don't give a shit anymore about the "commitment".. and become a laughing stock

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

6 months to live, but you get a year if you quit smoking-that's a reason. A year either way? That's no incentive. I think someone should pay me 1000$ to quit smoking. Maybe then I'd be more apt to do it.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Then you don't really want to quit. You should want to quit own your own..now you're just wanting to collect the money. In all probability you'll just start again after.

14. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I currently don't want to quit, you're right. I pretend that I like doing it. It's just pure addiction, and breaking it is not something I feel like going through.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Same here..

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That only shows you have no will power and a very weak mind. When one knows that they are doing something wrong they usually stop their bad behavior before something bad happens to them. I guess you don't care much at all about yourself but what about your wife and child? Don't you care for their well being at all? :shrug:

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Don't underestimate nicotine addiction.

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I don't but I have known people that were smokers for many years stop smoking when they finally wanted to. Any addiction can be overcome when you want to overcome it.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That's true but you really really have to want it. And not really really wanting it is not equal to being weak-minded.
    Besides, some people can stop in a heartbeat and have little or no problems with it. Addiction has a different grip on everyone. Some are extra-sensitive, while others are almost insensitive to a particular addictive substance.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That's why there are many ways to stop smoking available to everyone today. They have chemicals, self help groups, hospitalization and psychological help to overcome most anyones addiction to almost anything.

21. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Because it gooooooooood.

I don't smoke by the way.

22. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

You do know that tobacco companies do many animal experiments...

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That's it, I quit !

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Not.. well some day !