Why do I have to live within your socially established norms?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Mr. Hamtastic, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

No. If I don't like it I shall change it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

It's not yours to change. It's the majority's.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Humbug. It gives us all something to talk about when we are in the pub. And what's this hang up with stability? Societies change, evolve, develop, improve. And they improve because some members of the society act differently, do crazy things that later may become the norm.
    The communists are a great attraction since they are usually intellectuals with tweed jackets or a welding rod. The capitalists leave great tips, or failing that are easy targets for robbery. The fascists are amusing. And the anarchists might be a problem, but they never seem to be able to organise themselves.
    Vive la difference.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

F*** the majority. If they don't want the change they don't have to. But if my change is a good one, a useful one, a productive one, an amusing one, then it will catch on.

In a properly successful society we are all a majority of one.

8. camilus the villain with x-ray glasses Registered Senior Member

"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority. By definition, there are already enough people to do that."
    ~G.H. Hardy

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I like that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. camilus the villain with x-ray glasses Registered Senior Member

any intelligent person will like it. its the truth

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

favorite G.H. Hardy quotes:

"Archimedes will be remembered when Aeschylus is forgotten, because languages die and mathematical ideas do not. "Immortality" may be a silly word, but probably a mathematician has the best chance of whatever it may mean."

"The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas, like the colors or the words must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in this world for ugly mathematics."

"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority. By definition, there are already enough people to do that."

"Young Men should prove theorems, old men should write books. Exposition, criticism, appreciation, is work for second-rate minds."

quotes from G.H. Hardy's A Mathematician's Apology is a 1940 essay by British mathematician G.H. Hardy. It concerns the aesthetics of mathematics with some personal content, and gives the layman an insight into the mind of a working mathematician.