Why do Europeans have so many eye and hair colors?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by S.A.M., Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickjames Registered Member

eye color is pigmentation, or melanin, the lighter the levels of melanin the more colors become available because of how light reflects to the eyes. European have have basically undergoing a process of demelanation for a few thousand years because of the climate.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

it all depends on who is making them at the factory.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Northern climate selected for decreased pigmentation which left room for variety in colors. When you're chuck full of melanin, the only color available is brown.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Perhaps hair dye and colored contact lenses?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Willy Banned Banned

Far less inbreading then other races.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I believe that the brown eye allele is dominant. This would result in a dominant phenotype, lessening the phenotypic variation. This does not mean the genotypic variation is less.

In Europe the recessive variation because merely visible due to the lack of the dominant alleles.

Hence there is not necessarily more genetic variation in Europe. Only phenotypic. And moreover, a phenotypic variation that is not really adaptive.

Sorry to be scientific about it. I know this is not the place.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How would you suggest this occurs?

I'm trying :bawl:

11. Willy Banned Banned

The more a group of being's inbreed the more they will look alike.

The less a group of being's inbreed the less they will look alike.

Why the "infraction" for pointing this out?

Mod Note:

This is Biology and Genetics; please substantiate your claims with peer reviewed evidence.

Please read the forum rules before posting

Moderation in Biology and Genetics forum is aimed at creating a scientific atmosphere for the discussion of topics related to the forum. All discussions must be evidence based, with peer reviewed data as the basis for argumentation.To that extent, moderation may include moving, editing and deletion of threads as well as posts that are not relevant to this sub forum . Locked threads may be reopened if genuine interest is expressed in the topic; posters may avail of this by sending a PM to me. All posts will be judged on a case by case basis with a strict bias towards the scientific method. The reasons for moderation will be given except when posts/threads are deleted/cesspooled. Trolling in this forum will not be tolerated.

7. Anyone who feels they have received an unfair infraction may contact me by PM. If their complaint is valid, the infraction can be reversed. A total of 20 infractions will result in an automatic three day suspension and the poster will be unable to post or edit his posts. Any poster can be banned at any time by the moderators for blatant infringement of forum rules.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=64638

Infraction for trolling and meaningless post content: 3 points

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2007
  12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thread closed due to trolling; genuine posters may contact me by PM to reopen the thread for a scientific discussion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.