Why do christians continue to believe their religion when it's been refuted?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Medicine*Woman, Oct 26, 2008.

1. amark317 game developer-in-training Registered Senior Member

of course they aren't open to new ideas and only believe what their leaders tell them, THEY'RE CHRISTIANS!!!!!!!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

because it's not true would be a perfectly valid reason.

Agreed.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Hmmm. Posting that the various religions are actually "Sun Worship" is somehow better? If I attack your beliefs, do you mildly say, "To each his own"? Of course not. To theists, their deity/deities are as cherished as family, and sometimes the associated beliefs are thus as well. I'm sorry, is it harming you, personally?:bugeye::bugeye::bugeye:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Primarily indoctrination and the false hopes it brings them.

8. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

It hasn't been refuted. For all practical purposes, the refutation of Christianity is wishful thinking at best.

Myself, I am no Christian nor do I support Christianity. Especially the mainstream fire and brimstone version of Christianity is impossible to refute, as its tenets are such that one would have to be at least enlightened to know that they are wrong.

For all practical purposes, Christianity can only be avoided, but not refuted.

9. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Thank you for crediting me for thinking up "Sun Worship." Had you been a more avid reader in ancient religions, you might understand that which you do not know. There are so many titles to choose from. I'll begin with Ahmed Osman, British Anthropologist and Egyptologist. Joseph Campbell comes to mind. Then there are the lesser known researchers, try looking up ancient history or religions, on bookshelves everywhere.

Again, thank you for your accolades. I didn't make sun worship up, actually there was a pagan's dream back in Abraham's day, oh, but you wouldn't believe that if I told you. For me, I'll keep reading about ancient religions and cultures. Maybe you should do the same.

10. skywalker 3 @ T M 3 Registered Senior Member

No matter what they say MW... I admire your commitment and knowledge in this topic. It is obvious that Texas still got inteligent people.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Gee, thanks!

12. swarm Registered Senior Member

It has been repeatedly refuted from several difrerent angles, empirically, logically and historically. Xtianity is just rubbish.

13. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

One because they probably do not belive their religion has been refuted. Two, religion is not about fact but rather about faith. Three, religion has been a glue that has held mankind together throughout history. Granted their have been abuses, and those abuses have been throughly documented. But who really cares if Christians want to continue their belief system as long as they are not forcing others. I say let each to their own. If it gives them comfort and serves as a rule and guide for them...great, as long as they don't cross the line and start forcing people to conform to their viewpoints.

14. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

They don't seem happy to me.

It has been refuted.

Religion has been much more divisive & destructive than otherwise.

15. hdsink Registered Member

Christianity is not outdated.

You say that we as Christians are antiquated? Do you personally know of any Christian psychologists or psychiatrists? Have you ever met a Christian who happens to study science or archaeology? Do you have any idea what all a pastor or preacher has to learn in college in order to obtain their position?

You may be surprised at what all Christians really know. What amazes me is that so many people decided to come up with another term for A.D. because of the reference of Anno Domini being translated meaning, "the year of our Lord." Seems kind of anti-religious to get away from that. Oh, and the calendar was changed not too long after Jesus died. Do you still not believe in Him?

Adam and Eve - They were exiled from the garden of Eden for eating from the tree of life. Genesis 3:23 "So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life." Basically this meant that nobody was getting into the Garden of Eden. Where this place was...we may never know. All we have in existence today are two rivers that flowed from it.

Noah's Ark on Mount Ararat - Has been found in the Mountains of Ararat, but scientists do not want to come forward and admit it. It is on the Iran side of this mountain range.

The talking serpent - Was also mentioned in Genesis chapter 3. Of course if you don't read the chapter prior to it you may not understand that Adam was in command of all the animals. This particular one was satan in a snake form, which happened to have legs until God cursed him.

The plural gods of Eden - Okay, I give you this, there is no mention of many Gods of Eden in the Holy Bible. This is only one God!

Giants of the Earth - Further reading into the scripture and you will find that these giants are the sons of men. More than likely interbreeding of taller people within families to ensure taller growth. Sort of what we do now.

All the metaphors for Jesus - I really don't know what you mean by this.

Jesus's birth - It did happen, and scientists have proven this in a round about way by the formation of the "Star," which will not occur again for quite some time.

Jesus's life - There are other records of him other than what the Bible has written in it.

Jesus's death - There are Roman records of his death.

Jesus's resurrection - This is just too obvious. If He didn't raise from the dead, you would not have any fear of Christians.

All the witnesses who never saw Jesus - There were over 500 witnesses who saw Him. I haven't seen you, but I believe you exist.

There is more than enough proof that Jesus does exist, it is just your choice to accept that He is real or not. Christians cannot make you believe anything you do not choose to believe.

16. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

hdsink
    We've been thru all of that over&over&over again.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  17. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

Medicine*Woman

they like their warm and fuzzies

18. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Not all Christians take that story literally.

:bugeye:

Very few take that bit literally.

See above.

See above.

Be specific.

Could be because it's core to their religion? Maybe?

Which is attested to by Flavius Josephus. Not in much detail, but he does state that there was a preacher named Jesus(Yeshua), brother of a preacher named John(Yohannan), that had a following around Galilee and Jerusalem, and was executed.

As said above, something attested to by historical records.

Again, because it is core to their religion. It's not been proven, but it's not been disproven, hence it is taken on faith by them. It's part of their system of belief.

Why can't you stop generalising hundreds of millions of people on the views of an, albeit vocal, minority?
    I'm not a Christian, obviously, but I will stand up for them if they are being attacked for simply having a set of beliefs. It's fine to criticise the academic veracity of certain claims, but what you are doing (generalising Christians themselves) is unfair and childish.

19. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

It's not just generalizing, it's stating facts. It's not based on disagreeing views. It's that they make claims with no proof.
    We're not attacking them for simply having a set of beliefs. We're attacking the beliefs. Absurd cruel beliefs which are way beyond unfair & childish.
    They coerce & force their childish beliefs on others with no respect or regard for others' beliefs or for human rights & dignity.
    The Holy Babble clearly states any with other beliefs are evil & are not to be tolerated.
    The things you list as not taken literally are in The Holy Babble which they claim to believe & live by.