Why do bread crumbs come in bags?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Captain_Crunch, Nov 9, 2002.

1. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

but cakes are made for eating, so why bother packaging them with a substance that isnt going to rot away for a helluva long time. It aint fair

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Nirvana Now!
    Nirvana Now!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

i know what you mean.
    take Twinkies, for example...they contain *embalming fluids and other funky preservatives ...that's why they never perish. (hee hee..no pun intended)

*no, they really don't, but...*

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Have you guys heard of this drug called "fry?" I guess it's like, mint leaves soaked in (fresh) embalming fluid, then you dry the leaves/smoke. I dunno, I'm not to up on drug culture, but I was heard this the other day. Apparently it's gaining popularity fast.

Anyone wanna try some with me? hehe....

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Wrappings come for several reasons. One has already been mentioned. Sanitary. Cigarettes come wrapped in plastic because, they will absorb most anything that touches them. They are artifically dried below moisture level of the atmosphere. They will absorb finger oils and whatever the handler may have been touching prior to handling the cigarettes.

A lot of of paper bound products are wrapped in plastic as a moisture barrier, as a preservative (in the case of shrink wrapping) that prevents bacteria from the atmosphere interacting with the product, or as a tamper-proof barrier required by law now that it has been shown that there are nuts out there willing to dose a product on the shelf with whatever with a syringe.

9. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Fry, at least in Toronto terms, reffers to something soaked in PCP.

PCP is a psychoactive that, apparently, has the ability to give a person unbelievable strength and, with a large enough dose, cause temporary "madness" (whether what I've heard actually means the medical term madness is unknown to me). From what I've been told it can make you complete unable to control your body and radically change your perception.

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Bread crumbs

They work well in casseroles.

Seriously.

I think that's the reason.

In the US, we are often reminded that "the Indians didn't waste food". While it's not entirely a fallacy, it's not entirely true. But tribes did try to maximize the output of any game brought down.

In that waste-not, want-not idea, bagging bread crumbs might seem somehow a useful endeavor. One of my classic "family" dishes, to this day, is macaroni & cheese, sausage, extra cheese, and sourdough or saltine crumblings for texture. Throw it all in pyrex and casserole it. I learned it from my mother, who used it to feed Cub Scouts when I was part of that movement. Timewise, it was the only thing I really learned from my Cub Scout experience of any worth. My brother grew a spider plant, but even so, any philosophy I take from it is still not entirely my own.

But bread crumbs have some minor uses in the world.

As such, a philosophical moment: My father used to teach me that capitalism was a simple process: find a niche and serve it. In the 1990's, that idea suffered a radical, participatory change; businesses were no longer satisfied to "fill" a niche; they saw the necessity to "create" a niche. Thus the advertising movement that tells you how essential bread crumbs are to your life. Without them, you will fail. Exploit fear, create markets, fill them.

It used to be enough to serve people's needs. We now serve their excesses. This is not as sinister as it might sound to someone like me, though: it's a natural phase of business science. It must be explored else it will remain mere theory forever.

Eventually, the people will tire of having their commercial markets dictated to them, but in the meantime, that's the way life goes.

(Edit: The infamous phrase alleged to Marie Antoinette--Let them eat cake--takes on a new vitality here. Antointette was not insulting people, but merely exploiting reality. Why should people be unhappy with reality?

Let them eat cake.

And if anyone wonders, yes that was sarcastic.)

Peace

thanx,
    Tiassa