why do bad people exists?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Semon, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

so it seems that we have discussed in this thread what determines bad and good, but as yet I don't think we have really addressed the issue of WHY bad people exist?

So why do they?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Given all this discussion, first clearly and succinctly define what exactly you mean by "bad people".
    Then we can discuss why they exist.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

It's pretty obvious.

It's because people have different perspectives, and can assign value in a "path of least resistance" regarding their circumstance. It's easier to think of you as bad than it is to wrestle with what constitutes you being so... so people do it.

With this arrangement, people are bound to think of other people as bad.

Are you saying that makes them so, or are you asking about people who think of themselves as bad? That one is fairly simple too I think, in that again, you create "plus" and "minus" columns for people, yourself being one of them. Perhaps if you start seeing yourself as you think other people see you and you generally get feedback from them, you then begin to believe it..

But raven is right too, if you want to ask about why there are bad people, we'd have to know what you think constitutes a bad person. Did you say that already?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

As I said before, it is purely subjective. You need to find terms which describes their actions in a more absolute manner. Does anyone know which terms are those? Anyone wants a clue?

I hope I don't NEED to say this again.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yaba Daba :m:

8. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Man. You finally figured out one step T. Now you run around like a kid saying "look what I know". It's semi-cute, as in a five year old learning a new word... but please try to contain yourself. Pretending you're now the authority on something you recently discovered is basically obnoxious, especially since just a few months ago you didn't even get it, and many people have been exploring what you just discovered for years or decades. Have a little humility.

Get a grip man.

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

If evil is purely subjective then which people are "evil" is wholly subjective as well (some may not think evil people exist at all) so the only person who can answer why evil people exist is YOU.

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

The thread starter Semen asked the question of WHY bad people exist.
    WE have I think concluded that good and bad are relative terms and dependednt on perspective.
    However it occured to me that the question of WHY appears to have been overlooked.

So as One raven has implied is the why they exist simply becasue we deem them to exist and they would not exist if we shift our perspective?
    Or does the why go deeper than that?
    Ultimately I don't think the WHY can ever be answered with out invoking some sort of devine design or what ever. A bit like asking why a cloud is a cloud. Or why is bad bad.....
    It could be said that good and bad only exist because we have a tendancy to create dualism and maintain polarised extremes in our thinking.

For example bad could be considered as "less good" or "not as good" which has the abilty for us to work or think about just one pole rather than polarise it to bad and good.

So does claiming something which is bad [polarised thought] as being "less good" [ unpolarised thought ] deny the notion of badness?

11. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I answered the 'why' in my first post in this thread.

12. Onefinity Registered Senior Member

I heard a sixth grader say recently, "I know I'm bad." I said, "You are not bad. But your behavior sometimes is."

13. SativaDiva Registered Senior Member

The definition of good and bad are in the eyes of the individual. Take some serial killers, for example. Most of them looked at death as a fetish. Snuff films are a common item to come across when confiscating their belongings. When the victim dies is when they climax. It's a turn on for them. Others get that same orgasmic feeling, but through knowing they have total power. So, it's a mere fetish in most cases.

14. FreedomCry75 Registered Member

Prince James--

I can see you, alone making breakfast....your mind going "Do we want eggs or pancakes?"...then the answer...."pancakes are flat....eggs can be flat or bumpy....which am I in the mood for....flat or bumpy, and what is flat and what is bumpy, and do they really exist, or are they just a state of mind, and does it matter?" A date with you would be exhausting. "Would you like some wine" (your date asks), "Whether I would like it, or not, isn't the question, but lets analyze what you are REALLY trying to say".....

whew....you must exhaust yourself sometimes!

15. FreedomCry75 Registered Member

There is no good or bad. There are only instances, resulting in opinions. Things are what they are. A hurricane is an event that is normally conceived as bad...but is the hurricane itself "bad", or is the result of the hurricane "bad", or is it just the fact that there is damage done and life lost, as a result of this natural, non "bad" occurance? People pulling together and helping one another with love and compassion....is that GOOD? Since "bad" events can bring about "good" events, it is truly hard to say what is bad and what is good. Many "bad" things have happened on this planet, and much "good" has resulted after many of these events. maybe we are all just playing our part in this grand production, and all of the analyzing in the world, won't give us anymore insight. we still have to die to find out the truth. :m:

16. Roman Banned Banned

I blame black people.

And retards.

17. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

I blame dumbasses.

18. FreedomCry75 Registered Member

i blame hitler, snicker bars, and angelina jolie

19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

That's something obvious which everyone ignores...

20. Roman Banned Banned

Dude, Jolie is way hot.

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

^ relevant reply, eh?

22. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

And I thought I had seen threads fall into the gutter before, but this certainly takes the cake.

23. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Takes the cake, or the pie?