why do bad people exists?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Semon, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

Why do bad people exists?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Simon:

Define "bad" and then objectively prove it to be so.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

my god.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Semon:

Was that an exclaimation of dismay? Or did you mean that God is the objective standard of good? And who is your God and what does he say is good?

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If there are "good" and "bad" football and baseball teams, why can't we say that some people are "good" or "bad" in the same way? Don't we have enough statistics and win/loss records on humans to show that some are "good" and some are "bad"?

Baron Max

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So that we can know the differences between "good" and "bad". If everything was good then we wouldn't know bad existed at all. There's always going to be both in this world and it's a good thing to know who's bad among those you know because if you don't you'll be taken advantage of and used for their pleasure.

10. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Bad people exist in order to show up the good people.

11. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Because they're DNA instructs them behave in a manner that you label as 'bad' and that very same DNA has led to success in reproduction for
    prior generations.

12. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I suggest this be moved to Ethics.

13. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Why?

14. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

"Why Bad People Exist" is ultimately an ethical question. At its heart, lays a quesiton of morality and proper conduct.

15. beyondtimeandspace Everlasting Student Registered Senior Member

The question of good and evil is a highly philosophical question. Ethics is rooted in philosophy, just the same as morality is rooted in theology.

16. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Beyondtimeandspace:

Surely ethics is rooted in philosophy - it is a philosophical discipline! - but we have a forum section precisely set aside for Ethics, Morality, and Justice, which would be fruitful to use for this. However, why do you purpose that morality is rooted in theology?

17. beyondtimeandspace Everlasting Student Registered Senior Member

By all rights, Ethics and Morality deal with the same subject matter, the question of the value of human behavior. The Moral man is the Ethical man, and vice versa.The difference is that Ethics deals with the rightness or wrongness of human actions solely from the standpoint of reason and logic. Morality has basis in religion, and based on different religious belief, different codes of morality are produced. The two fields deal with the exact same thing, just from different standpoints, different roots. Usually, Ethics and Morality conclude similar ideals, or share common ground. It's a shame that other fields of study that share likewise divisions do not also find much common ground.

18. VitalOne Banned Banned

Good and Bad people don't exist, just people who label people as good or bad based on their actions, thoughts, and words. Good and Bad only comes from your mind.

19. Roman Banned Banned

Like retards and the like? Mostly (bad)luck. Just some messed up genes, though some unlucky trauma could be involved, like getting bashed in the head.

20. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

Are you kidding me here?Bad people make the world interesting. Evil anyway is a point of view and there is nothing wrong with additional perspectives. There will always be two sides to every thing.How lame will hollywood movies be if there were no antagonists...I certainy wouldn't have seen Batman begins

21. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

beyondtimeandspace:

Whilst I can see why you are dividing the words as such, and we are really just splitting hairs here, that one could instead construe ethics as the systematic study of morality, whilst morality refers to "what is moral" as derived from ethics and/or other sources. That being said, since this question isn't really a question of metaphysics or another philosophical discipline that doesn't have a specific category (the "exist" is dependent on being "bad") and really more about ethics, wouldn't it be better to place it there?

22. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

The question is "why do bad people exist?"
    Obviously Semen is referring to his own sense of what is bad. I am unsure whether this is supposed to be an arguement about what is bad but more about why bad people exist. [ according to semen]

Thus it is more a question of philosophy than ethics.

Why does Semen see people as bad. Why do you see people as bad?

I tend to think that it is determined by the old "do unto me as I would do unto you" reasoning......[ reflective reasoning ]

If I like being spat on then being spat on isn't bad....sort of thingo

So in my opinion the answer is in the reflection of what you would like and what you don't.

In the final it is really the fact that free will exists that allows for the diversity of actions. No matter how you work it out there will always be bad people and good people by your reckoning as free will requires it.

just some thoughts

23. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

No, moron. As in everyone is good and evil. ALL the time. Not many people are all evil, or all good, if any. Everyone is both, all the time. Or neither.