Why do atheists follow false beliefs?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 31, 2007.

1. kriminal99 Registered Senior Member

Before responding, I should note that I am an agnostic atheist since I believe that god cannot be disproven, but is most likely believed in because of human need.

Most of your questions can be traced back to the golden rule, which is enforced naturally among humans.

In the animal kingdom you might say the rule is might makes right. However when dealing with intelligent beings this transforms into the golden rule. All humans are equally mighty when ingenuity is considered. Therefore an imbalance of numbers and therefore might occurs only when one person tries to benefit at the expense of others. IE the golden rule is enforced. Sympathy for people you might hurt by breaking the golden rule is secondary to the effect that the belief that you will suffer if you try it has on a person. Sympathy is a way to get what you want from people when you just can't take it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

If the golden rule were enforced naturally among humans, then how come so many humans suck?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Maybe because so many are afflicted with religion. After all, one of the most popular religious cults in my area claims that its followers can commit whatever sin they wish -all they need do is ask forgiveness and their god will.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

So, the Christian message of following the Golden Rule actually makes them less likely to follow the Golden Rule? Explain your purported paradox, please.

8. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I already did. See post #123 above.

9. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

An unspecified cult of unknown numbers is not much to base an argument on.

10. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

The "unspecified cult" that he was referring to is definitely the Catholic church - not sure about the whole of Christianity - as I'm not up to speed on their "confession" system.
    But in RC you are supposed to repent your sins frequently - or at least when conscience dictates - and the priest - as the voice of God - absolves you from your sins and gives you a penance - usually to repeat a few Hail Mary's etc.
    Oh, and generally they say "try not to do it again."

11. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Well, that's not the RC Church. This church pretty clearly condemns sin and instructs not to sin, but allows forgiveness for the truly penitent. You can't just go sin as much as you want and expect forgiveness without really being sorry.

12. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Humans are neither free nor equal nor, in most cases, charming.

13. juju Registered Member

Hypocrites. That's what athiests are. NEVER, EVER say, "I swear to God," or "Oh my God," because...wait...wait...you don't believe in one!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Salams.

14. Vega Banned Banned

Atheists are found to be more theologically challenging and well read when it comes to a debate with a religious nut. That's sad but true!!!

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Where do you find atheists saying this? That was written by a Christian in the Declaration Of Independance.