Why Did We Get Into Space

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Orleander, Apr 28, 2009.

1. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

To be honest Sputnik was just a test for Russia's first ICBM, in the same way the north Koreans tried to launch a satelite to test their rocket system. Except that Korea literally "crashed and burned"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nasor Valued Senior Member

It's true that both sides were strongly motivated by a desire to "show off" to their own people and the rest of the world. But all the stuff that various people in this thread have been saying about the human desire to explore etc. is the reason why people cared enough about it to be impressed with it in the first place. If people weren't already inherently excited about exploring space, it wouldn't have been an effective way for the USA and USSR to show off.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nasor Valued Senior Member

He certainly wasn't held at gunpoint, but I believe he was basically told that he had to join the nazi party, and later accept an SS commission, if he wanted to retain he job as a scientist in the German rocket program. Since the German government wasn't allowing any civilian or academic rocket research at the time, he basically had the choice of joining or being fired. Of course, he could have simply quit.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I doubt if it would have taken even another generation, 25 years. Communications satellites started going up not long after Sputnik, and we would have needed them regardless. All the other communication technologies were marching forward.
    That happened to a lot of people. I had a friend who was born in Germany at the beginning of the war. His father had a job that was not nearly as exalted as von Braun's, but he still had had to join the party in order to keep it, much less advance. They wanted all the people who were respected to be Nazis, for the domestic propaganda value.

In another century or two we'll desperately need space travel to build giant orbital solar energy collectors. That will be the only feasible long-range solution to our energy crisis. Fossil fuels will run out sooner or later, and the earth's surface isn't big enough to collect all the solar energy we're gonna need before long. Sure we'll build nuclear plants and put off the waste issue like we put off Y2K, but after one more accident public pressure will mount for orbital solar.

8. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

There's space between my ears.

9. stereologist Escapee from Dr Moreau Registered Senior Member

It was the promise of unlimited television that prompted the space program.

10. Xylene Valued Senior Member

I could give you the easy and facile answer, 'because we havent been there before.' I think it's mainly because we like exploring, and space is the ultimate playground--it's also the ultimate proving-ground as well, obviously. Test your mettle against the ever-present potential of instant annihilation, if you dare...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

As I noted earlier, curiosity is a strong instinct in almost all primate species.
    On the other hand that instinct is uniquely human, but it's powerful.

12. dazzlepecs Registered Senior Member

im pretty sure all inventions have a war-based origin, look how technologically superior Israel is with enemies at every border.. Even that musical electric instrument the Theremin started life as a proximity detector

13. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

You're wrong: war may speed technological developments, but not science itself (with some exceptions of course).

14. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Shit, we went from the first powered flight at kittyhawk to a man on the moon in, what, 60 years? Pretty fuckin' impressive. Of course, we haven't done jack shit since.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  16. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Pure instinct.

We know the planet can't stand us much longer.

17. jmpet Valued Senior Member

A space rocket and an ICBM are basically the same thing. We got into the space race to prove we can put a man on the moon/we can nuke you and ground zero is your forehead.

We did it to prove our technology beats their technology- and we did it through Reaganomics, which we're still paying for today.

As far as the concept of space travel goes- it is a natural inevitability. Look at Branson and his private fleet of sub-space ships... if NASA never existed, we'd still be in space today- it's an inevitability.

The moment after a solid propellant rocket capable of space was developed came a desire to actually do it.

I support small business in the space field- I support the efforts of a dozen companies all trying to perfect the art of space travel.

And I am taking bets. Who wants to bet me "Mars Base One won't be "brought to you by Pepsi!"...

18. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

If NASA never existed, if rockets never existed, we'd still be in space today.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's a wild exaggeration. It would be more accurate to say that a large percentage of inventions are motivated by our instincts for survival and security, and defense against bullies is merely one manifestation of that instinct. Agriculture, by creating the first surplus in history, made us more secure against famine, but the permanent settlements it both made possible and required made us easier targets for enemy tribes.
    Only from the perspective of an aerospace engineer. I was already a software engineer when we landed on the moon, and we have done things with information technology in the last four decades that even I--a lifelong sci-fi fan--could not have imagined in my lifetime.

An iPhone with an internet connection surpasses most of the information technology on the original Starship Enterprise.

I'm sure space travel would be fun--if you're into long periods of risk, deprivation and solitude--but I'm a musician and what I.T. has done for music has made this planet a truly wonderful place.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

how do you figure? :bugeye:

21. WA Lancer Registered Member

We are in space because we wanted to out do the soviets.

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

Who?

Or do you mean 'Von Braun'? For an alleged aeronautics student, that's shameful.

23. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Rubbish.

So what?
    Many famous people have been wrong.

Jet planes were developed before the V2.

Pure nonsense.