Why did Iraq buy 4,000 gameboys

Discussion in 'World Events' started by justiceusa, Mar 7, 2003.

1. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Oh, and don't get me wrong here. I think the war is the only way this is going to get resolved. That's a different thread or twelve though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

persol

Yes missiles were on the "banned" list, so Iraq borrowed a few hundred surplus Russian rocket engines and built its own El saumoud missiles, the very ones they are claiming to be destroying now. What were they going to use for guidance systems? well let me see now what was the topic here. Ah yes the sophisticated electronic components of a play station.

An el saumoud rocket mounted as a second stage on top of a scud missile could travel well over 800 miles.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Don H Registered Senior Member

It is well known that the US and Britain helped build several bio warfare plants in Iraq. France helped build a nuclear reactor in Iraq only to have the facility bombed by Isreal.

Saddam has not handed over the manufactured "goods"

so we are left to wonder why Iraq printed 15 million King James bibles...

Are they permeating the book of Job with "goodies" for export?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

wesmorris

Yes I agree that at this point war is the only way that this situation will be resoled. I don't really like war because, I have been there and done that. I think we had a bit of a misunderstanding. Somehow I just can't picture in my mind a bunch of Iraqi soldiers sitting around playing games, especially the republican guard. They have been totally brain washed to hate anything from the western world.

8. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Re: wesmorris

I'm with you there. I wasn't in much danger, but I was at the GWI and Panama... a bit of danger... but shit, I was a TV repairman for this man's army... so I can't talk much shit.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Dude... video games rock, it doesn't matter what you've been trained. Oh sure, an old coot might not be able to relate, but I'm sure YOU can. *giggle*

9. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

justiceusa:"They have been totally brain washed to hate anything from the western world."
    I think if you learn more about Iraq, you will see that is a grossly inaccurate statement.

10. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

hyperwaders

"totally brainwashed" I was referring to the republican guard.

11. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

justiceusa

My point was that buying a PS2 for this use doesn't make sense because of the amount of work that would be needed to make it into a guidance system. The play station is sophistacated, but you still need a computer to program it to do anything useful.

Since you need a computer anyhow, why not just use that?

12. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Re: hyperwaders

Originally posted by justiceusa
    "totally brainwashed" I was referring to the republican guard.
    This is still just a generalization.

13. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

wesmorris

I think you need to study the Islamic culture a little. I have been around many of them, hell they seldom even laugh or smile. True Islamic don't sit around playing anything but a few board (not bored) games. So can we talk about what the hell they are really doing with those play stations.

14. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

You can say that again. Like so many American puppet dictators, Saddam and his cadre have been "high on America" for most of their careers.

15. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

persol

OK then persol go off topic and tell me what you know as fact about the republican guard. gees you kids

16. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Well, I'll not belabor the point but I am more familiar than most with Islamic culture, having spent 7 months there, four years in the army with a few close islamic friends and one of my best friends in college was a saudi arabian citizen.

17. Psycho-Cannon Home grown and Psycho Registered Senior Member

I remeber when this first got announced and Sony actually (well i got the impression it stemmed from sony but this was all probbably a joke that came from the issue by parties unknown) that he was the reason they were having a massive shortage of PS2's in comparrison to the Demand for them on the Initial launch.
    I though it was quite funny at the time but i think the amount of work they would have to do to use these as weapons guidance?would make this a bit of a silly theory (and that comes from the guy being accused of being a conspiracy theorist

).
    After all why can't they get the weapons inspectors to go and check the PS2's as well ^_^ at least it would also give them some R&R at the same time.

*Hans blix plays C&C and launches a missile, outside the window a strange light is seen risinging into the night sky....

18. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

persol

"since it takes a computer anyway why not just use that."

Western computers were on the list of "banned" items at the time . Play stations were not. One computer could be used to program thousands of PS2's plus I don't think a computer would fit very well on the top of an el saoumoud missile.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2003
  19. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

psycho-cannon

"i think the amount of work they would have to do to use these as weapons guidance makes this a bit of a silly theory."
    Iraq did sucessfully build the missiles during a time that western technology was banned to them. So what electronics do you suggest is used as guidance systems for the el saoumoud missles?

I suggest that there is no reliable guidance system for most of the missiles and that is why Iraq is willing to destroying the ones that the inspectors can find. The missiles we do not find are the ones we need to be concerened about.

We knew Iraq had scud missles before gw1 began , But we were blind sided by the number of missiles on mobile launchers that kept popping out of the desert. We had not even suspected that they would be launched on Israel.

Will they suprise us again? I certainly hope not, and I certainly see no harm in being cautious about any possibility.

20. shadows technocrat:Teach me Registered Senior Member

drone interfaces? no television cameras work better for the screens but the relays are somewut the same concept
    entertainment? You know there are kids in iraq's elite that would enjoy this
    Hand held tactical training? get one of those tank destroyer games
    im fresh out. I think it would be entertainment because it would be better to mate a palm pilot with a nokia phone to control drone weapons.

21. Psycho-Cannon Home grown and Psycho Registered Senior Member

I still say get the weapons inspectors to go look at them if its serious ^_^

Do you think post Iraq the market is going to be flooded with cheap 2nd hand *slightly modified* ps2's ^_^.

22. shadows technocrat:Teach me Registered Senior Member

possibly, the afgans make sattlite dishes out of little sheets of metal to tap into our signals.

23. Raghar Registered Member

US could bomb them and Iraqi soldiers in deep bunkers would play. What did you think?
    Drones woud be nice, but not for this war.