Why did Hitler do it?

Discussion in 'History' started by sargentlard, Jul 26, 2004.

1. mathman Valued Senior Member

One point that this discussion has not really addressed is why he had so many willing helpers. This aspect is much more widespread than Hitler. For example, Stalin in the 1930's, Pol Pot in Cambodia, Hutus killing Tutsis in Rwanda. Also when questioned about planning to kill the Jews, he is supposed to have replied who remembers the Armenians, referring to Turkish massacre in WW I.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Working Class Hero Skank Monster Registered Senior Member

Hitler played on the latent anti-semitism in the people of Germany, the Jews were the controlling forces behind the communist red giant that frightened the middle class, and the capitalists who suppressed the working class. They were the reason that Germany lost the first world war, why Germany even had to fight the first world war. They were responsible for the deppression, they took what rightfully belonged to hard working Germans. The German people had alot of problems, which there were seemingly no answers for, it was easy for them to accept what Hitler said. With Goebbels, he was an arch-propagandist who knew how to use people.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I think you make a good point that strikes at the heart of humanity.

I often wonder if I had been born german, at the time what would I have done? Would I have been one of them? I like to think of myself as a good person but so are the germans on the whole, yet there wasn't exactly a huge uprising or anything, most just let it happen. How can that be? it's not like they have a larger proportion of bad people than any other culture.

It's easy to look back and condemn these acts because, of course, they're horrifying but how does that explain the huge numbers of regular people blithely going along with these crimes (either directly or through inaction)? I don't know but I think it says something about humanity as a whole more than a specific country.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Undecided Banned Banned

Well the concept that allows such massacres to happen is called “de-humanization”, it happens all the time. When you stop looking at people as people but as things. Happens in Israel-Palestine, Iraq, and other regions around the world. When you make people out to be monsters, you lose your sense of compassion and humanity.

8. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I understand the concept of "de-humanization" but naming and defining something doesn't necessarily explain it. History shows it's a trap that any culture or group of people can fall into with disquieting ease. Does it start with something as simple as a leader declaring, "we're good, they're evil. So let's go kill them!"? And that still doesn't explain why average citizens (normally good, kind, loving people) are so quick to agree and carry the banner.

9. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

people who are seemingly foreign (jews, for instance)

I bet most people will have hard time to distinguish jew from non jew these days. Despite all precautions, jewish blood was diluted greatly with goim's contaminants. Classical looking jewish people are rather exception than a rule.

10. what's highlighted in red, is that your thoughts or hitler's? not sure where his thoughts end & your's start?

11. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i think what WCH means is that hitler saw these problems with soceity and managed to convince people that it was all the jews fault, thats how he united the people, with the one common enemy, if you blame it on a range of people and situations some people will be more concerned about some causes. but if you say it was 1 enemy: the jews, then you have everyone aimed at that 1 target, it way be for different reasons that they want to acheive the goal of extermintaing the jews but when you have so many wanting answers to problems then you have a massive army.

undoubtedly if hitler was to win the war he would in turn blame all germanys problems on blacks or asians or some other easily definable group.

12. otheadp Banned Banned

maybe it was all part of his plan to thank his Jewish doctor who saved his mother's life?

13. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

if the question was, why did hitler commit suecide, then the common joke is "he saw the gas bill"

14. robtex Registered Senior Member

there have been a number of "Hitler's" since Hitler. But none with his charisma or level of influence. Two more important question's might be, why did a whole nation follow him and what charastics or forumula is neccessary to unite a whole country (or any large group) to create mass death, destruction genocide and the like? I mean if we are really going to be technical..Hitler talked about doing it (sorta like Mason did) but as far as doing......he was lacking in that department...he got others to do it for him ......the bigger question...the more important question is how?

15. mafiahamster Registered Member

don't forget that the germans lost the first world war.
    and the winners of the war dictated very high reperations to the germans.
    So there was a high readiness in germany to make political changes.

also,
    hitler was a master of doing propaganda!
    Evereybody only saw, what he want to let them see.

and at the beginning of his political carrer he made high investments into the german infrastructure, improved the wealth.
    And so the people were willing to follow him into the war.

16. mohammed Registered Member

i read in a book that germans think they r the chosen ones by god and they will conquer the world and every creature is their servent. besides he was a nazy which is a belief that anyone from the SAM desendents r to be killed and also the jews thought that they were the chosen ones by god.......... so no place for
    2 chosen 1s
    if anyone wants to contact me and know more information
    my e-mail is:mido_721@hotmail.com
    mohammed

17. eM0912 Infectious Microbe Registered Senior Member

i say hitler was extremely made fun of as a child and that he was not wealthy, perhaps he was made fun of by jewish people and wanted to retaliate. other than that, i say that he was really bored...it's amazing what you do when you get bored. i saw this show on hitler and i think that he was neglected as a child and just needed someone to hear him, perhaps that was his way of being heard. you have to admit, we're still hearing him.

18. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Hitler had a very close Jewish friend actually. So did Eichman.

19. eM0912 Infectious Microbe Registered Senior Member

but having one friend doesn't stop you from loathing the rest of them.

20. mathman Valued Senior Member

The main difference between Hitler and Eichman is that Hitler had a paranoic hatred of Jews, while Eichman didn't care and was only trying to please his boss.

21. eM0912 Infectious Microbe Registered Senior Member

please the man with the gun....it's not a totally horrible idea...

22. mathman Valued Senior Member

Eichmann didn't have to work so hard. He did it to please his boss, not because he was afraid for his life.

When the Germans had to abandon Paris in 1944, they had been ordered by Hitler to destroy the city. They didn't and nobody was punished.

23. cutegirl Banned Banned

well Hitler was not alone, the romans, kkk, palo, crusaders, templers, babylons, russians, nazis, neo nazis, iden'hovas, europeans, everyones ahd a crack at the jews. Jews have been bullied so much out of Europea, Asia, Africa that they created the jewish state of Israel to flee the persecution