Why depression is booming amidst

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by dixonmassey, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Omega-3 is thought to increase reuptake of serotonin (the same exact thing that SSRIs, or antidepressants, do). I've also read that it helps in the production of serotonin.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Isn't Omega-3 some kind of fad? Its been touted as the cure for all kinds of ills.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

It depends on what you mean by "fad." "Coral Calcium" was a fad. "Natural Cures" was a fad. Omega-3 is backed by legitament research. In fact, we NEED omega-3 fatty acids to build and repair the myelin sheath on nerve cells.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

No doubt, but it does seem to be cropping up everywhere. Type in Omega 3 and some body part and you get loads of claims supporting its use.

Omega 3 and eyes

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

As for the eye, I found this study on the first page of your search link.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=hstat1a.section.91880

Basically, they conclude we do not really know what supplementing omega-3 can do for eye health. I would agree since most every study I see is done with ADHD, depression, and bipolar disorder. However, I have talked to a few people that claim their vision has gotten better for a period of 24 hours after supplementing with very high doses of omega-3 fish oils. I've never tried it but it could just be a temporary effect resulting from "symptom masking" (sort of like when someone puts octane booster into their vehicle to stop the engine from pinging... when the octane booster runs out, the problem shows up again).

9. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Oh but it goes on. Omega 3 and acne, Omega 3 and meibomian glands (in the eyelids) etc.

10. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Heh.. I would think that omega-3 might cause acne. Does the Internet tell me otherwise? I haven't looked it up.

11. Ayodhya Registered Senior Member

Frankly, I don't know too much about Omega-3, but could it be instrumental in helping leukodystrophy patients (who suffer from a lack of myelin)?

12. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

From what I undrstand, fish-oil and other omega-3s would only relieve some of the symptoms, but it will not cure it because there is a fundamental problem not associated with the fat's role in the body (whatever all those are).

13. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Godlessness