Why commit suicide?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Saint, Jul 8, 2011.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Calling it "relieving distress" is so unkind.

A person isn't "relieving distress". They might just not have the skills to communicate their needs and desires in ways that would be readily understood by others.
    Wanting to socialize is not about "relieving distress". Wanting to socialize is perfectly normal for people.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nocturnumbra ... Registered Senior Member

Religion prevents many people from being depressed in the first place, but offering religion as a solution to depression wouldn't work on anybody but the most desperate. They'll likely have considered religion in the past, and if it didn't suit them then, it would be tantamount to lying to themselves to accept it as a means of "help". The people that have been able to sink to that level of depression would be the kind...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Sorry, slight misunderstanding...not explaining myself clearly.

The people who do this have no expectation their needs will be met by others. None whatsoever. They do as they do out of desperation as much as anything. And they may not be entirely conscious of their needs and desires.

If your needs, desires, and agonies get ignored and denied by everyone around you, you yourself will start ignoring and denying them, out of self defense if nothing else. After a few years of this your emotions get disconnected so they really seem random and distressing, as if one is being attacked by one's own feelings.

(BTDT...still learning to be aware of my own emotions as they occur.)

As far as the term "relieving distress" being unkind, I'm working my way through a Dialectical-Behavioral-Therapy workbook, dinking at it, and one of the core skills is called "distress tolerance."

So I didn't think it unkind, just part of the jargon I'm currently being exposed to...and learning myself... because, yes, I have my own flipouts of shouting hysterically due to frustration on occasion.

I'm ashamed of them, I want to stop them.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That may work in just the opposite way because someone who might be thinking of suicide might use that their god is calling them to come home to a better place than where they are.

8. Saint Valued Senior Member

I believe if the depression patient can release the loads in his/her heart, pursue spirituality, he/she could be cured.

9. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I tried that. Christianity when I was 12 and 13 Yes, I wanted to die when I was 12.
    Prayed my ever-loving a$$ off to feel better, to not be in pain.
    Did not work.

Took Prozac when I was 16. after four years of hell. Prozac worked.
    Jesus 0, Prozac 1.

This is probably going to be one of those typical Saint threads though, where he fishes and fishes and fishes ad nauseam for the answer he wants to hear for eight or ten pages and probably still doesn't believe what we tell him.

:shrug:

Saint! What is it that's bothering you???

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

You are playing dueling diagnoses with yourself!
    Oh!

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Sure, I am well familiar with that.

For a long time, I have felt like I don't exist, that there is no me.

12. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Huh?
    That article seems to indicate it's a couples' phenomenon?

As far as that goes, I'm the identified looney in the marriage. I appreciate my wife's capacity to put up with my $h!t very much. I don't understand why she still does, frankly. I don't know why she likes me or loves me, and I'm really shocked she's still here. She can do better.

However, it is very hard to figure out how to communicate properly with my wife...I say something I thought was perfectly clear, and it's misinterpreted, or she does...and then one or the other of us gets angry.

This happens over and over: the stupid argument of the day(tm). Very frustrating, because neither of us want to do this, we just don't understand each other and we get frustrated.

So when we get in an argument next, we are going to try emailing each other across the living room. We think this will work...
    I'm not quite dissociated enough to have different persons inside...if that's what you meant...

I was in a DBT group, and was getting good, useful stuff from it...but my sinus fatigue was getting worse, and it entailed dragging out of bed early and driving an hour.
    So I decided to buy a workbook and get more sleep. Seem reasonable?

Dialectical-Behavioral-Therapy is Cognitive-Behavioral-Therapy meets the functional aspects of Zen Buddhism.
    One of the core skill sets is distress tolerance: the idea is that you tolerate your distress, move through it, and clear it...rather than run from it.

Another idea from Zen that made it in there: radical acceptance: Accepting yourself as you are...period.

Something I'm attempting to get.

You give the impression of believing that anything to do with mainstream psychiatry/psychotherapy is somehow either suspicious or worthless. Is that so?

Hmm:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization_disorder
    I got more of the other one, they're rather interrelated:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  13. CptBork Valued Senior Member

My question is, why do our societies have this retarded obsession with poking their noses into suicidal peoples' personal lives and trying to impose some general sense of meaning and purpose? What gives anyone the right to decide that someone else must live until they die of a heart attack in a nursing home, and that such people should be sent to mental asylums if they don't see things the same way?

If they don't believe in your sky fairies, and they don't buy into your personal fantasies about why we humans are so special or why it's worth suffering through decades of mundane life waiting for some kind of payoff, then leave them the f*ck alone and let them do whatever they're going to do- at least they should have some basic sense of control over their own fates, even if that control is limited to the power to avoid an outcome they don't want to stick around to watch.

This sense that we need to step in and force people to see things the way most of us do (will to live), and to keep try-try-trying over and over and over and over no matter how many times we fail to shove happiness up someone's buttcrack... This sense of absolute, intrusive moral righteousness is every bit as ill as the mental state of the people it's imposed on. In the USSR they frequently imprisoned political dissidents in mental health facilities, on the premise that opposition to communism is no more than a symptom of abnormal brain function, insufficient dopamine and seratonin, etc. Sounds an awful lot like the prevalent mentality here in the West, only it's applied to a different set of ideals.

14. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Depression usually is pretty treatable...but there are a few who stay horribly depressed even after psychosurgery.

I wonder about them myself.

15. Saint Valued Senior Member

rate of suicide is climbing, how to solve it?
    why people wanted to die by force?
    why are people not happy?

16. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Economy's bad.
    More stress.
    If people were already unhappy, it may cause them to give up.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Imagine someone telling you they believe in a supernatural being that controls everything and made everything that you see. That they prey to this entity to have it watch over them to keep them safe from another supernatural being that is a very bad entity and always starting up problems. This would be a delusional type of person if you never heard of religion before they told you about it. So where do we draw the line between delusions and reality if over half of the world is delusional already and thinks the other half is totally wrong in believing in something or someone else.

There are those who are only going through temporary mental health problems and with proper help and medications they can be stopped from hurting themselves. They really don't know of any other alternative when they are thinking about committing suicide so by showing them that there is many other ways to deal with their mental illness they can be saved from doing something bad to themselves at that moment. Then there are others that have mental health problems their whole lives and by taking medications they can lead a balanced and normal life without always thinking about suicide as the only way to solve problems.

18. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Yeah well if you give them a lobotomy or drugs to reprogram them or stop them from thinking, I'm sure many of the symptoms will vanish and you can pronounce them cured. Does that mean it's the "right thing to do"? What gives anyone the right to declare "your programming sucks, you can either accept help to change it voluntarily, or we can commit you and do it by force." No, I say the ones who need reprogramming are those who think it's their right to intervene in other peoples' internal affairs and force them to die alone in a nursing home.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Genetics, environment, social strutures, diet. There are lots of things which are theoriesed to contribute to levels of depression

20. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Yep...That's me, balanced and normal

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So are you advocating the people in nursing homes be able to kill themselves if they so wish or are you saying that they should be helped? If a certain medication can make a persons life better for them at any age, what's wrong in trying to give them the treatment?

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Do you feel this way, are you sad?

23. CptBork Valued Senior Member

I think it should be up to the individual to decide what constitutes a "better life". If they feel therapy might help them improve their circumstances and live a fulfilling life, more power to them to seek therapy. If the individual isn't interested in buying what the therapists are selling, that should be their right all the same. I advocate that any suicidal person should have the right to make an informed, dignified and independent decision on the matter, and that it's pure insanity for one to try and impose a sense of meaning on someone else's life based on their own personal experiences, delusions and fantasies.