Why Can't Whites Use the Term, "Nigger"

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Enigma'07, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

I don't get why black people go flying off the wall if a white person calles them a nigger, but if a fellow black person calls them that it's no big deal. (extream confusion)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I always wondered about that too. It was funny when at school, there were two black kids walking down the hall and the crossed path and said to eachother "hey nigger", so then when the one guy crossed my path, I said "hey nigger" as a joke. Ie landed me in the principal's office, but I explained to him that I was all confused about the nigger thing and it had to do with my social science project on the roots of racism. I got off the hook.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

errrr balck people calling people niggers is a term of brotherhood and freindship.

white people calling black people niggers means they are calling them slaves.....

i used to do it all the time to a mate at school but he never enjoyed it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

http://www.yforum.com/ReadResponses.asp?SearchType=GENERAL&id=612200123517

:m: Peace.

8. Crackity Jones Registered Member

On the subject, why in America is it a nasty thing to say 'boy' to a black person, if you are white? I've seen this on films loads. Is it a slave thing also?

9. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

there is an official servant position (job, not stance) that is called the 'boy'. it might be a reference to that. their job was menial chores like lighting fires and stuff like that.

10. GuessWho A Californian Registered Senior Member

Because it is offensive for white people to say it to black people the same way that it will be offensive for black people to call white people "red necks" but I do not see any offense if a white person calling another white person "red neck."

11. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Try being white and calling black person a "negro" or "colored" They'll take much more offense. I know many white guys who use nigger as a form of communication with their black friends but they know better than to call any black person "negro" or "of colored decent".

12. spaganya aka superwoman's evil sister Registered Senior Member

Not all black people think its okay for other blacks to call each other "nigga". Most find it HIGHLY offensive, no matter WHO is calling the name. Also, there is a HUGE distinction as well as the difference between "nigga" and "nigger". "NiggER" is a term that for years was meant to degrade and demoralize blacks in society, mostly used as a slang hate word by other races. "Nigga" is the term of enderment that some blacks have adapted to try and soften the harshness of "nigger" and kind of give the word back to blacks and lessen the blow of the word itself.

Goofyfish, your comment and post I feel is right on the money.

Unfortunately, any word that was said in maliciousness is gonna be offensive. If I know a white person says the word "nigga" to another black person and they dont mean any harm or disrespect, that might be taken a bit better. But personally I think the word shouldnt be used at all. In any form.

13. SaddamnYouALL! Registered Member

Actually I'm from the south and I often hear whites refer to other whites as "redneck", when they want to identify the particular individual as someone who is a little rough around the edges. You whites need to get a little better at understanding what is going on around you before you end up somewhere with your heads cut off.

14. SaddamnYouALL! Registered Member

You can't possibly go to school and be this stupid? Can you?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I wrote up a black guy for saying it.

The reasoning behind a black person using it, but a white person not is self defeating.
    'It's a term of your racist oppression, so we are going to limit it's use by race'

Making a rule for only a specific race is racism in it self... regardless of the reason.

16. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

I don't get what your trying to say. I go to a school were the majority of people are black. I didn't learn from experiance, only obsevation.

17. spaganya aka superwoman's evil sister Registered Senior Member

I know this wasnt directed at me, but whats your point with that rebuttal?

18. Nivao Ghost of Mirkwood Registered Senior Member

erm... i thought that the... uh... n-word was just a slang term for negro. devleloped awhile ago.

19. spaganya aka superwoman's evil sister Registered Senior Member

youre right. it doesnt mean slave.

20. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

He sort of made it sould as though I go around calling people niggers. I'm confused!

21. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

What I don't understand is the fact that they're bitching on about white people being racist but they seem to be going through a 'self-segragation' phase (best word I could come up with). They call each other 'Niggers' as stated above, have Black music awards (and if there was a white music awards someone would get sued) and keep going on about oppression and how every white person is a racist. I'm confused. Isn't assuming someone is being racist in itself a racist act. The other person may be innocent but the person accusing them sees it as a racist attack, they are concluding that just because of their race, what they have done is racist. Yet if anything was done about it, bam, you're a racist. Hell, I could even be called racist for writing this post. I'm not a racist. I'm an open minded person who just so happened to say 'Hey, wait a minute...that doesn't make a lick of sense' (much like this thread

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

22. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I call everyone nigger, black, white and miscellaneous.

What gets me is how its "hilarious" when a black person calls a white person honky or cracker.
    What is it with whites that makes them fair game for any and everything? Is it because we just don't care or would it not matter even if we did care?

23. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Because sadly many people still believe the 'sins of the father' thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.