Why can't they pinpoint the cause of salmonella outbreak??

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Syzygys, Jul 10, 2008.

1. kmguru Staff Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

this stuff, repeated e-coli outbreaks, repeated salmonella outbreaks, it all makes me think of the 80's...

Willie Nelson and Neil young and others doing 'Farm Aid'... telling America every year that the small farmer, who actually cared for his food and helped build America, was being driven out of business by corporate farming conglomerates... and if we allowed that to happen one day we would not be able to trust the food supply...

if you go back and read what they were saying... it's like prophecy or psychic prediction or something... about the corporate cattle farms, the corporate pig farms, the produce that was the bread and butter of the US family farmer that was starting to be grown in foreign countries and shipped in... massive farms that were a major source of a food item, so if there was a problem there on that massive farm it would be a major issue in the food supply...

now all farming is really conglomerates... the vast majority... they bilk the government out of untold billions in 'subsidies'...

and here we are... we can't trust the food supply...

now, btw... they think tomatoes may not have been the problem at all... but peppers, Serrano and Jalapeno, or maybe cilantro even... they simply aren't sure...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

not really, take a hypothetical. Someone walks into a country pub and sprays an arasol of salmonala. This would get on the cloths and skin of all the farmers who then take it back to the farms. The same for a country church. These are ideal ways to spreed a bacteria through the food chain

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Apparently it isn't just me who is puzzled by the mistery of not being able to solve the problem:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080711/NEWS07/807110368

""I wish I could have a crystal ball and say it's one of those three things," Dr. David Acheson, the Food and Drug Administration's food safety chief, said Thursday. "This has gone on longer and has been more complicated than anything I've worked on at FDA."

It's quite a departure from the 2006 E. coli outbreak in spinach, a mystery solved in about two weeks.

"We really, really got spoiled, if you will, with the spinach outbreak," said Dr. Robert Tauxe, food safety chief at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

8. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

OK, so you claim its corporate mass production problems... how would anyone be able to revert the solution back to family farms anyway? Sounds unproductive.