Why Can't Science Identify This Dragonfly-like Insect Emitting Strange Substance?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by common_sense_seeker, Oct 1, 2013.

1. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Living web-like luminous substance emitted by four bulging eyed dragonfly-like bug! New to science yet ignored by the mainstream science community. Sceptical? What species is it then? Please provide evidence and not just words.

Watch strange alien insect in London, UK

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Balerion Banned Banned

Why on earth would the "mainstream science community" ignore a new species? Ever ask yourself that? Might help with these paranoid delusions.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Because there's only one good video of it. They'd need one caught so that they could examine it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

And you problem with that is what, exactly? Do you think scientists should spend their time watching amateur videos on YouTube, or making scientific observations?

8. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

That contradicts the message in post#2.

Here's some sightings of giant dragonflies:

I also saw a dragonfly that was 6 to 8 inches long that fits the description of the one you saw. It was purple, bluish, greenish. Iridescent looking, like those glass yard balls. I saw it in South Bend, IN on my porch. I have never seen anything like it. It looked like it came straight of a fairy tale. I haven't had any luck identifying the one I saw either. None of the other dragonflys even come close in size or color.

9. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

I think I've found the species; Meganeura

Note to self: The large veins in the wings fits with the observation of red blood seen in them in the airliner sighting at 30,000ft!

Note to self: This fits with the air tube propulsion system of the trachea tube proposal!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Balerion Banned Banned

It's not an extinct species. Obviously. And there is no reference to its size in the video. And the video's claims ("It's always shapeshifting!") are ridiculous and attributable to an amateur eye, confirmation bias, and blurry images. I mean, there was nothing whatsoever unique or special about that video, aside from the stupidity of the poster.

Also, why is this in Biology & Genetics? This is crank bullshit.

11. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

In Search of the Meganeura, a.k.a the Giant Dragonfly; on the Island of Kauai

12. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

You need to watch the video all the way through. You show me a known dragonfly species that is known to eject a web-like substance from a two-pronged device from it's abdomen which moves as if alive and emits spots of light momentarily. The shapeshifting refers to the head just before if lifts off for flight. It's a complete transformation and totally remarkable!

13. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I've watched it - against my better judgement. It's normal sized dragonfly, as can be seen by the wooden bench (in Greenford, that most prosaic of districts in West London) it alights on. There is a bit of fluff, either on the camera lens or on the back of the dragonfly for a while, which blows in the breeze. My bet is the camera lens. Nothing comes out of its abdomen.

The only interesting part, to my mind, was that towards the end there is a suggestion of something flesh-coloured bulging out between its eyes, though it's hard to tell what this might be and it could be a trick of the light. Dragonflies have quite complicated mouthparts I understand so conceivably this is what that was.

I know you go in for mantis men and by your own admission have mental health problems. I assure you there is nothing here to justify wild leaps to extinct species or other implausible explanations.

14. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Okay, thanks for the recognition of something strange happening to it's head just before it takes off. It happens at the top of it's head and doesn't look like anything to do with the mouthparts.

Mantis-men is a term people have used to describe humanoid type encounters with something that they can't explain. They will likely be known as dragonfly-men or dragonfly-humanoids from now on i suspect..

As to my state of mind, I'm extremely well thank you. I wasn't exactly diagnosed with mild Aspergers, it's more a case of just falling short of the score needed for a diagnosis of full Aspergers. I'm not on the autistic spectrum, although anyone who is similar to myself knows it still has it's potential problems. I'm actively pursuing a self-employment program which is going extremely well, so I'm quite content as well at the moment, thank you.

P.S. There is clearly a two-pronged 'something' which appears from somewhere and can be seen above it's back. It's highlighted on the video and isn't a "piece of fluff" on the camera lens or otherwise.

15. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I watched the video and it looks like a hair was on the dragon fly and the wind blew it off. I guess the hair could be an alien pubic hair, but barring that it is absolutely nothing worth note in the video. You seem to be a professional at making a mountain out of a mole hill.

16. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Like this?

17. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

So all I need is another video of a similar dragonfly-like insect with another "loose hair-like" appendage and you'd agree that it was something unique?

18. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

LOL. Yep, that's really good. It's showing human like emotions which aren't seen in real life encounters, they always report a blank-eyed expression, i.e. insect-like.

Yes, Zorak is as good as any as a representation!

19. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

There's dragonfly-like insects videoed during the day but flying above the clouds according to the presenter. The still shots at the end are worthy of attention: Dragonfly UFO

There's another interesting shot here behind a vulture which makes the dragonfly look huge doesn't it? Vulture and dragonfly photo

Silent, Glowing Dragonfly-Shaped UFO Photographed Over Asheville, North Carolina

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  20. exchemist Valued Senior Member

NO! Futzing around with videos is useless, scientifically speaking.

The camera can easily fool the viewer and can easily be manipulated by the unscrupulous. What is needed is scientific observation. If such a creature exists, it can be found physically and observed directly, by different observers.

If it can't, then the assumption will be that it doesn't exist and all the claims for it are either artifacts or a hoax.

That's science.

21. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Why Can't Science Identify This Dragonfly-like Insect with a loose hair on it?

The dragonfly-like insect is a male Red-veined Darter (Sympetrum fonscolombii).

Happy now?

22. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

The red-vein darter doesn't have a helmet like transformation just before flying though. How do you explain this in the OP video?

23. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Looks a bit like this one. Brown Hawker, but the end of its tail is fatter.

The shape changer is just a bit of cobweb blowing in the wind.

Here's a really weird video I found when looking for cobwebs.
    A graveyard with everything covered in sheets of cobwebs.
    It is horrible.
    [video=youtube;pALLf22JfZs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pALLf22JfZs[/video]