Why can't religon and science be friends?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by science man, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I prefer to think of myself as the Dear Abby of sciforums. Perhaps you are psychic, not that the twin sister columnists got along.

I tend to counsel people out of my professional life. It really can be quite draining and I think many people idealize it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Then you would agree that words are an expression of an individual's character. Both Abby and Ann did character analyses on a daily basis, and they could only do it from the written word.

You don't think Newyorker was revealing any character flaws in the earlier quoted post? This may sound repetitive but we might as well do away with psychiatrists and psychologists again...this seems to be a common theme for you at least.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Doreen Valued Senior Member

You mean when people in a non-science forum specifically asked, either implicitly or directly, for this treatment and presented details from their lives, rather than just their thoughts about life, to make this easier. Yes, they did this. They did this there. In that context. Not against, for example, the sites rules, with more information and with their ridiculous status as experts in hand.

I did not bring psychiatrists and psychologists up just now, you did I believe. As far as Newyorker's potential character flaws, what difference does it make?

Did they make a good case for why religion and science should or should not be friends? If not, why not? That seems like the issue.

I can't see any positive outcome from your guesses about their psychology, even if they were correct. You could, of course, PM them about your guesses if you are concerned about them.

However I do think you repeated engage in mind reading claims, implicitly, in your posts. Seems fair to point this out since I am quite sure you are skeptical about mind reading.

Here you are stating in unqualified terms what is going on in newyorker's mind and even unconscious:

Not a perhaps or maybe in there. Even professionals in the physical presence of someone would not use statement of certainty like this.

To me it seems like a cake and eat it too set up. You get to bypass your epistemology when you choose, but those who believe things you do not believe must meet what you consider the correct routes to knowledge. To be consistent you need to live up to your own criteria of knowledge.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

:roflmao:
    man that made me laugh..

so can we assume your post is talking about your personal experience with your religion?

8. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

:shrug: Your mind reading skills are as good as mine

No, they just let the patient ramble on, charge their time accordingly and offer nothing but praise.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Counselors are just sounding boards able to formulate but unable to offer opinions on those seeking their analytical abilities. Police profilers might as well keep their opinions to themselves and not smear the perpetrator. Maybe people should hear of potential social inadequacies, psychoses, neuroses, etc., as you have informed me of mine several times. People might as well join a chat forum....at least they'll get feedback.

Let's face it, all we have between us is a personality clash. You don't like the way I come across. Personally I don't mind your ravings but I wish you would remain consistent. You choose to rant against me for things I never said, acknowledged or claimed. I've lost count on how many times this has happened. I take it back......Maybe you are consistent.

I always go into an internet conversation with reservations about the person I'm engaging, and they should treat me the same as well. So if Newyorker isn't genuine then it doesn't matter what I say. If he/she is genuine then it's highly unlikely that words of mine are going to change him/her but I want to be on target just in case. You object....great!!!

9. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Do you really not understand? 1) unless you are psychic, those are guesses. 2) obviously you stated in unqualified terms. I can see the words. In your mind you may know you are guessing. I am describing what you wrote. But I do believe in psychic powers. So even if I had implicitly claimed to be reading your mind, I would not be being a hypocrite. Mull that over.

This all made no sense to me. 1) you were ad hom and breaking site rules. 2) you were making claims to read his mind. You have made it clear, through your positions in other threads you do not believe people can read minds. So, you are being hypocritical.

I pointed these obvious things out and you produced the above mess.

But I will leave the issue here until it crops up again elsewhere or, perhaps, you will stop writing about what is really going on in people's minds OR start saying you do believe psychic powers exist. Either of those changes would sort the issue out fine.

10. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

If a professional psychologist offered their analysis based on written word then you're saying it is not only unwarranted commentary but mind reading as well, yet if a psychic does the same then it is perfectly acceptable because we should expect it. The reason being that it is ok for psychics to be wrong.

I'm done. Let's go off on another tangent , shall we?

11. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

What's "god"?
    I find it intriguing that someone can post a message on the internet, using a computer and claim that science is BS. It says much about your critical faculties. Or lack of...

Yet you saw fit to make a claim about my motives... Based on?

Probably because I think.

So what?
    That was my point: he can alter it whenever he feels like it.

12. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

no support of your claims which i have already debunked, yay.

there are no restrictions or alterations to science when god exists, as opposed to when he does not. the judge has spoken, and the prosecutor has finally taken his seat.

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

YOU made the claim about me...

Wrong. You're assuming (unless you've spoken directly to god).

14. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

nu'a nu'a, you have yet to show a failure in science when god exists that doesn't have a mirror for when god doesn't exist;

-god may change his rules, nature may also change its rules.
    it's as i said;
    la lala la lala~~

i've once again beat you~~
    :yay:

i might start getting used to this, you may wanna start adapting too

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I see you've forgotten either how to read or simply forgotten (or ignored) what I wrote the last couple of times you posed that question.
    If you can't do any better than merely dismiss (or ignore) my points there's hardly any point in continuing.

See above: I already answered that, too.

Once again?
    The next time you beat me will be the first.

I should adapt to you becoming habituated to delusion?

16. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

you answered me? by saying that nature gives us mechanisms?
    well i've answered that too.
    it doesn't have to, and god may give us mechanisms too. you're on no solid ground in your claims here D.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

How does God's will manifest itself if not physically?

18. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

you're talking to me?

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

So you don't bother reading my replies (or if you do read them you don't understand them).

Already addressed.

Ah thank you, you answered my first question: you clearly don't understand my replies.

20. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

you like to wiggle around, instead of tackling the matter at hand.

instead of acting like you're right. BE right, show us. i'm sorry but for example, your last post had no value to it whatsoever, you're saying you didn't lose, i can say you did, you'll say you didn't, till what? eternity?

while i also think that i have replied to your argument, and debunked it, i do re-post it for the sake of simplicity, and i repost your argument, and i repost my debunkment of it, and i paraphrase it again, to have you say that i don't understand you, that you've won, that you've answered it before.

i see this as, a tactic to wear out your opponent from repeating himself and playing around with you about nonesense, when you find yourself cornered.

for the third and last time, introducing god into the world alters the method of science in no significant[if any] way, can you provide what shows otherwise?

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes. If God intercedes on behalf of some people (holy people or those that pray), what is the mechanism? If he doesn't have a physical effect on the world, how can he influence it?

22. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

so what's the problem if he has a physical effect on the world...say like, putting it into existence, then what?

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Of course it alters things.
    If god is in the equation then he has to be accounted for.
    Like I said (more than once) - if god is the root cause and is also not subject to scientific interpretation then science comes to a halt.