Why can't I edit my posts?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Futilitist, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure why you need to edit your posts. I thought you had indicated you are perfect.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

I never indicated any such thing. You must mean because my posts are so compelling. First off, thanks. But I'm not a very good speller, and I type with three fingers. I may even be a bit dyslexic. Having an edit button is pretty handy. In the meantime, I'll just have to keep doing the extra prooofreading.

---Futilitist

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

According to your user settings, you ought to be able to edit posts. Please confirm that you cannot do this once you have read this post.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

I still cannot edit any post, new or old. Here are my posting permissions:

8. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

My post #13, apart from oblique speculation in the 3-odd posts following it, has not been responded to. Futilitist has had joy after extensive jumping up and down, but nothing for me. That's disturbing. A lack of courtesy is one thing, but isn't there a basic duty on the part of admin here to meaningfully address to a member's complaint - here or by way of a PM? Is it normal; and to be expected that one just sit in the dark hoping things will magically improve? AFAIK there is no specific statement in the forum rules/guidelines that spells out just why I am experiencing this problem. Thought the only initial limitation was inability to insert links and attachments until post count exceeds 20 iirc correctly. It's been speculated as per above that inability to edit or add attachments may be owing an infraction in place. Well if so in my case it's been an entirely invisible one! I repeat - had initial capacity to edit. It's been disabled for whatever reason but no communication as to why or for how long. Hate to think this is saying 'persona non-Grata' by way of silent treatment.

This general lack of courtesy/duty has manifested personally on the related matter of email notification.
    Last para at: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?133466-Light-Speed&p=3041181&viewfull=1#post3041181
    "On a different matter - just how does email notification actually work here? My setting is for instant notification. Got 2 initially per this thread, to which I replied in each case. But no notification since entry #27. Is it not an automated arrangement?"

Well 5 days and no-one responds. Not nice and not imo whinging to say it does not bespeak of a healthy community spirit. I have read the bit in the FAQ under 'Subscriptions':

"Instant Email Notification - sends an email as soon as a new post is added to the thread. This is not sent for every reply and will only be sent once until you revisit the forums."

But it just hasn't worked that way with any consistency for me. Occasionally a string of notifications come in in short order - regardless of whether the first one or ones in that string was responded to. Other times there is a huge gap where many postings have been made in a thread over a lengthy span but zero notification - again regardless that last notification was responded to. Can someone extend some courtesy here and confirm this is a general experience or not, and why?

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Futilist and Q-reeus:

Please try now. I think post editing should now be operating to your satisfaction.

Q-reeus:

Your post said you were having exactly the same issue as Futilitist. Therefore, what is said to him applies equally to you. And it's all right here in the one convenient thread.

There is no general duty on admin to give members whatever they want. Nor is there always a need to reply personally to queries or complaints.

You are correct that there is no statement in the site rules that spells out whether editing permissions are turned on or not for members or specific membership groups. In fact, editing permissions have been turned off for some time for the particular group "Registered" that both you and Futilitist are currently in. Up until very recently, that particular permission was overridden by permissions of a secondary group which you were also both a member of, which did allow editing of posts. That secondary group was deleted, reverting your permissions to the permissions of the primary group, which had the effect of removing your edit permissions. As you can see, the reason you have been experiencing this problem is not straightforward. There was, by the way, a good reason for having things the way they were prior to recent changes - reasons which are not as relevant now (which was why the changes were made).

Speculation that the inability to edit was related to infractions in any way is false.

There is no personal vendetta against anybody here. We didn't maliciously decide to remove your editing privileges (which are privileges, not rights, by the way).

I'll give you a standard reply here. The admin and moderators of this forum are unpaid volunteers. We are not on call 24 hours a day. We have paid work outside this forum. We have no "duty" other than general goodwill to deal with member requests. Call us uncourteous bastards if you like, but I think that we mostly do an ok job of responding to queries and complaints. I'm sorry that your own experience has been sub-standard in your opinion.

It's automated. I do not know exactly how it works. It ought to work as advertised. I'm not personally aware of any changes to the forum settings that might have affected such notifications.

The only way to gauge general experience is to ask other members for their input on this. At this point, there's nothing I can do about this, since I don't know what the problem is (if there is a problem).

10. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Check - working. Thanks. Would give more thanks though if there had have been a timely notification of this issue to the group affected. Thus allaying some needless angst. Oh well.
    Understandably not for trivial matters I agree but the sudden and unannounced inability to edit posts and related is not imo trivial.
    Good to know.
    Phew - a great relief!
    So am I, but given your lengthy explanation, I would tend to replace 'uncourteous bastards' with 'untimely bastards'.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

My experience on this is on par with that formerly experienced at another forum site. Strange indeed.
    Time will tell if further input fleshes this one out. Anyway again thanks for responding with lengthy feedback, and curing the editing problem.

11. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

James R,

Thank you for fixing my edit permissions.

I don't generally post attachments, but that function is also switched off for me:

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Attachments are now enabled, too.