Why can you not clense nuclear waste by using an ozone generator?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Klippymitch, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

If I am right you can.

Put 18 ozone atoms under pressure completely surrounding a single proton. Nuclear fusion will occur and release two free single electrons.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

No, I believe you are confusing x-rays with gamma rays. X-rays are produced when a highly energetic electron strikes a metallic surface. As I said, it's been a very long time but I believe I'm correct.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

No, Klippy, that simply won't work. Sorry.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I stand corrected on the above!! After thinking about it for a few minutes, I recall that radium, uranium and thorium are all natural sources of X-rays.

Sorry for introducing confusion - my mistake.

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

ozone isn't an "atom".
    ozone is composed of 3 atoms of oxygen.

9. draqon Banned Banned

just dump it in space

10. river-wind Valued Senior Member

three hundred years ago, it was "just dump it outside the village".
    two hundred years ago it was "just dump it in the ocean"
    one hundred years ago, it was "just jump it in the atmosphere"
    now it's "just dump it in space"

You do realize the problems we're already having with space debris, after only a few decades of access to areas above the ionosphere?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  11. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah whoops. Anyways for some reason I thought Ozone was a bond 1 proton and 1 electron :shrug:

Anyways take 18 hydrogen atoms and totally surround a single proton and put it under extreme pressure and then nuclear fusion will occur and two single free electrons will be shot out.

or not?

I gotta read up on this.

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I don't think you realize just HOW much pressure that would require.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The way we get hydrogen to fuse in a thermonuclear device (H-bomb) is to surround it with an explosion of nuclear fission.

Edit: By the way, what does that have to do with getting rid of nuclear waste? You've just created MORE of it.

13. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Yeah I knew it took an extreme force.

if we didn't use nuclear fission it wouldn't create waste.

But we don't have the energy for the fusion without fission:shrug:

14. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I would never confuse X-rays and gamma rays, and uranium emits both. Using Google and Wikipedia, I am having trouble finding out if it is Bremsstrahlung radiation, internal conversion, or what.

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I've already apologized for the mistake and corrected myself. Perhaps you missed it?

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

One design of fast neutron reactor, specifically designed to address the waste disposal and plutonium issues, was the Integral Fast Reactor (also known as an Integral Fast Breeder Reactor, although the original reactor was designed to not breed a net surplus of fissile material).[2][3]

To solve the waste disposal problem, the IFR had an on-site electrowinning fuel reprocessing unit that recycled the uranium and all the transuranics (not just plutonium) via electroplating, leaving just short half-life fission products in the waste. Some of these fission products could later be separated for industrial or medical uses and the rest sent to a waste repository (where they would not have to be stored for anywhere near as long as wastes containing long half-life transuranics). It is thought that it would not be possible to divert fuel from this reactor to make bombs, as several of the transuranics spontaneously undergo fission so rapidly that any assembly would melt before it could be completed. The project was canceled in 1994, at the behest of then-Secretary of Energy Hazel O'Leary.

http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/c...://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_breeder_reactor

17. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I missed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.