Why Bridges Fail

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by OilIsMastery, Oct 14, 2008.

1. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

If you were interested in learning and discovering things for yourself you would know. I haven't read the book yet but I plan on reading it because I'm not a prejudiced fundamentalist like you are.

If you would like to talk about expansion tectonics in general which clearly you don't then we can talk about Samuel Warren Carey's book The Expanding Earth which is probably one of the most sourced tectonics books in world history.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

OIM, do you have a job? I honestly wonder how people like you survive in day to day society since you're obviously too insane to get any job which requires logical thought.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

That's the most scientific argument for subduction, plate tectonics, and constant size earth I've ever seen in my life.

Here is the most rigorous and logical argument for pt I had seen prior: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDjWdGZB3No

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The idea that bridges fall down because the whole Earth is gradually expanding is so nonsensical that it doesn't require a serious rebuttal.

I prefer to just sit back and have a quiet chuckle about how silly some people are.

Don't you?

8. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

How scientific of you. If I was a religious fundamentalist I would be afraid to debate using observation and logic too.

9. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

I am making no attempt here to defend those mainstream views, I've done so elsewhere. I am honestly wondering if you have a job. You can PM me the answer if you don't want people to know or it to taint the discussion, I just can't think of a way you could hold the many wacko views you have and function in a company whose employees are expected to be coherent.

10. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Yes I have a job. Do you have a brain cell?

11. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Cutting edge come back.
    OIM, you are the Master!!
    /kowtows, bares buttocks.

12. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So far no one has offered an explanation.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Of the Tecoma Narrows bridge collapse?

Yes they have.

14. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

So why do bridges and dams that aren't located near continental margins or plate boundaries fail?

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Many different reasons. In the case of the Tecoma Narrows bridge, the collapse was caused by the wind and an unfortunately mechanical resonance situation that was set up.

Some bridges collapse due to poor construction or maintenance.

16. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

And what of the ones that collapse for other reasons?

17. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Which other ones did you have in mind?

18. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

He just told you about why the Tacoma Narrows bridge and why it failed. There's an excellent film of the event that shows it blowing and waving like a ribbon in the wind - which is exactly what it was.

19. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Can you read?

And what of the ones that collapsed for other reasons?

:crazy:

20. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Sure I can - I was responding to this exchange:

"“ Originally Posted by James R
    Some bridges collapse due to poor construction or maintenance. ”

And what of the ones that collapse for other reasons?"

Where you had ONLY quoted those two reasons.

Can YOU not read and carry on a full discussion? You are always limiting yourself to addressing a single point or two when quite often more have been raised than that. In fact, your normal - and VERY dishonest - mode is to selectively ignore things that you cannot address from your extremely limited knowledge base.

21. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Can you read? I asked which examples, specifically, did you have in mind?

Furthermore, you're quick to complain about the "ad hominem" but more than willing to engage in such yourself. You don't get it both ways, bub. In case you didn't know it, the little "crazy" smiley above is an ad hominem remark symbol, so what you're saying is this is not going to be a whiny, pissy complaint from you going forward. Good.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Which ones are you thinking of, in particular?

I suggest you consult the engineers and others who investigate bridge collapses if you need to know the details of specific collapses.

I'm certainly not about to waste my time detailing the reasons behind potentially hundreds of bridge collapses just to please you.

Off the top of my head, some bridges are washed away in floods. Some collapse in storm events. Some collapse due to poor construction or maintenance, like I said before.

What more do you want?

23. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Link

And also:

Link

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nerQhIyOwxM

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008