Why bother?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Oli, May 26, 2009.

1. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Whatever you do:
    1 year from now who'll have any passion for it?
    10 years from now who'll care?
    100 years from now who'll remember?
    1,000 years from now would it have made a difference if you hadn't?

When the universe is dead and cold what will it matter what you did?

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

Through faces of reincarnation of God of us all we experience everything. It matters, all of it, every second.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

God is a supposition.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

God is us, we are not supposition.

and

Universe will never die as it never was born, it always have evolved and changed through phases.

8. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

More supposition.

Yet more: it wasn't here "before" the Big Bang.
    It won't be "here" when entropy catches up...

9. draqon Banned Banned

entropy is not the only law governing the universe...dark matter and dark energy are prevalent and they shape the universe as well.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I agree. We're just a chunk of highly organized dead matter.

11. wise acre Registered Senior Member

The 'man' who said that had just killed a man he admired and the innocent servents of that man.

Are you feeling guilty about something? What drove you to this place? Do you think this is place one resides if one does not make suppositions?

Notice the suppositions in this argument. Causal relations that we can now track scientifically are the only ones that exist. Possibilities that might connect the future to the present do not exist. That the universe will be cold and dead.

12. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Are you ok, Oli? You sound like you're having a hard time with your depression?

13. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

This disregards the ideas and great works made by many men and women who came before us. When we learn about how our predescesors in this life, lived their lives, it gives us a sense of wonder. Armed with that wisdom, we can be destined not to repeat the same mistakes, to know warning signs... There are great works of art, of science, of philosophy that have given us not only pleasure but lessons on how to live best and how to enjoy that life.

Men and women of great compassion and wisdom survive the physical form in that they are carried by word both spoken and written to this very day. Should the universe become cold and dark, where nothing matters at all, then that is the will of things. I don't care whether or not that happens in five minutes, ten hours, three hundred years, or eons from now. I will still live the best way I know how with as much passion as I can muster to simply make one human life more bearable with less suffering if even for a nano-second. Because we are all in this together until the bitter end and living your life the best way possible makes others lives better too by reducing the amount of suffering. However futile your life may seem to you at times, there is always an impact on others whether or not you know it or care to know it. It's kind of the beauty of being human, however fatal that beauty might be. But giving up doesn't seem like a good solution either, and learning to find beauty in others will always make you smile. And it counts, if it is even a nano-second.

For now, there is only the now. Live it up.

14. wise acre Registered Senior Member

You know there is serious doubt about that idea within the scientific community now.

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/06/13/thinking-about-time-before-the-big-bang/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/07/070702084231.htm

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070702_mm_big_bang.html

This 'no time before the BB' may turn out to be a, yes, supposition.

There is an array of other possible befores being considered out there, and this is just in the scientific community.

15. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Maybe, but Maybe not.

16. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Guilt?
    Have you missed the point?

Which place?
    SciForums?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Not?
    What I do today will affect tomorrow - what I can do tomorrow will be "limited" by what I've done today, and therefore will affect what can be done the day after...

17. wise acre Registered Senior Member

Maybe, but it was Macbeth saying this. It was not Shakespeare's poem explicating his philosophy of life.

The place of thinking that Macbeth's very context dependent speech is a good description of every situation.

Ah, so you are feeling like you can affect things, pehaps even meaningfully.

18. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

On the contrary, it doesn't disregard, merely questions the utility.
    Ecclesiastes should have said "All is futility".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And in the end it will all count for nothing.

A temporary, fleeting impact.
    Sentient should be an anagram of transient.

Regardless - there's no evidence of anything "before" making much difference to "us" now, or that what we do will have any effect "after".

19. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Granted: but it fits.

And doesn't it?

Only temporarily: in the end it's a waste of time.

20. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Even shorter than that, when you die for you personally, it will count for nothing.

We are transient, everything changes, moves... Nothing is ever permanent. You can let that cripple you, or you can let go of it and live for this moment knowing that the next moment might not be there. We have all these notions that attach us to objects like time, and materials, intentions and legacies and it only brings suffering. Let go of those, and share the moment in the now. Make it the best you can because it is all you can hope for. Everything else is fleeting. Not futile, but fleeting. Maleable. Always and ever changing.

There is a beauty in all of that. That our sujectively determined purpose is futile and inconsequential. We are, as humans, inconsequential to our universe as a whole and we need to know and understand that. That all we can effect is the moments we have and the moments of the lives we touch. So doing it to the best of our ability will make what small part of the universe we partake in, all that much more lovely and bright. It's your moment, you can choose to do with it what you will. I'd rather not mope about postulating on the end of the world and instead put that moment to better use in case it is the last.

If you knew that this moment would be your last and the universe would go black, what would you do with it and why?

21. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Granted: but also (eventually) nothing I've ever done will mean anything.
    None of my patents will mean anything, none of my designs will survive, nothing I've taught anyone... nothing.

But why?
    It won't count for anything.

Nope: futile.

No, there's, I dunno, waste?

Not even: the universe is inconsequential.

It wouldn't make one damn bit of difference what I did, to anything.
    Hence the question: why bother?

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Dark matter and dark energy obey the laws of entropy.

Anyway, what I do matters to me, and that's all I really care about. I know little of what I do will last, but permanence is not necessarily a measure of value.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

when the universe is dead and cold, it won't matter, but that's a hell of a long way away. It matters now, so do it, care about it, have a passion for it.

But don't argue with your loved ones about it. If it won't matter in a week, it doesn't really matter.