Why banning anyway?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by MetaKron, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If "WHAT" got worse????? What'd the poor, poor Baron Max do? Shouldn't someone explain in clear, concise terms, what the poor guy did?

Baron Max

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

What do you think you did Baron?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What do you think you do on this site?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

I did, You got old tired, boring and useless.
    Give us something new.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

It's totally missing the point to focuss on baron max, and I say that while believing it's a deliberate attempt to shift focuss off the glaringly disturbing execution of a mod for being conscientious.
    EVEN if avatar was mistaken or whatever, the fact he was so hastily removed from the underground council of doom for being concerned and consulting the public, is terrifying.
    It looks really REALLY bad, but unfortunately not out of place in a forum where we are forbidden from questioning the establishment in any way.

For example, I'm dieing to make an "asguard should NOT be a moderator" thread, have been for months, IF I did it would be locked instantly, probably deleted, and I would be threatened if not immediately banned.
    Seriously step back and take all that in, I litterally can't express my opinion that asguard shouldn't be a moderator...

What the fuck is that?

I'll tell you, it's absurd and it's horrifying.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I don't know, Bells, seriously I don't know.

I don't like Tiassa, and he and I are always butting heads, but I just don't like his bias against the police, so I always point that out to people. Is that a banning offense?

Apparently I have a lot more fun than y'all.

And I like to point out the reality that others seem to completely miss, or worse, gloss over, in their constant overly liberal attitudes and comments. But is that a banning offense? ...pointing out reality?

Baron Max

9. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah, we must have missed that!

10. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Nietzschefan may beat you to it. His spelling may have been a bit of a joke at first, but really it is absolutely ridiculous that someone that can barely spell is in charge.

11. Bells Staff Member

Heh at "underground council of doom". Sheesh.. it's not as if we have black hooded robes or anything. Mine is pink if you must know.

There is the notion of privacy Lou. Disclosing private discussions.. I am sure you can figure it out for yourself. The discussion was occurring in a private setting. Disclosure of said private discussion breached a value of trust. That's my personal opinion on it anyway.

If you have concerns about any moderator, then it is best to take such concerns directly to the administrators of this site through the PM function.

12. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Why don't you suggest I throw a penny in a fountain and make a wish?
    Please stop insulting me.

13. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

If it is so private then why have MOD's discussed private PM's they have recieved from members and blab it to the forum?

Or have told other members what reports other members have made and what they were about?

Shouldn't it be private if someone makes a report? Also why would a MOD tell the forum about a report that was given to another MOD not even themselves and blab that to the forum?

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

OK, so it was personal. In which case, Avatar was correct to blow the whistle.

Anyone could get 'too bad', the fact that Max was the focus shows it was a petty vendetta.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Would all members prefer it if moderators did not discuss and ask for options but just banned people they had continuous problems with? Is it wrong to discuss options with other moderators and then decide the best course?

16. Bells Staff Member

You'll have to ask those mods. I have no idea what you're talking about.

That is your opinion and Avatar's it seems. It's not really for me to say. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. If you are concerned about how everything 'went down', then I'd suggest you air your grievances to the admin of this site.

Don't knock the penny Lou! I once threw a 10 cent coin and wished for a puppy.. and I got said puppy.

You commented on something and I told you the best course of action.

17. Bells Staff Member

It's apparently a lose/lose situation, Sam. If we discuss it, we're evil. If we don't discuss it with the other moderators and just banned, we're evil.

/Don's cloak and picks up dagger..
    /Evil cackle..

18. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Isn't there a rule that bans members for discussing moderator PMs on the forum?

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I find this thread really strange. Avatar got upset about some opinion and decided to go public, I can understand

People thinking the administrator who owns and runs the site should not have an opinion on the matter, I don't understand

People thinking/assuming that moderators do not discuss problems with members in the moderator forum I completely am baffled by. What do they think moderators discuss? And yes, its private, but not private between mods.

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

This and that

You find that insulting?

• • •​

I would think not. It happens enough. And, given that the proper complaint protocol for members regarding moderator action requires that they go through a certain process via private message before posting a complaint thread, one expectation is that they can explain why they are unsatisfied with the administrative response. This would necessarily demand that they discuss some aspect of what took place via private message.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  21. Gustav Banned Banned

crap

bans by individual mods can have any number of charges leveled at them
    banning by committee would most certainly reduce that number

sure folks can whine about conspiracy
    that is their prerogative
    a defense should certainly not be mounted against that charge
    mockery and ridicule should be employed for those instances

i mean, at the end of the day, you guys do have to go about your business moderating, ja?

doc has clearly lost his mind
    the "unnecessary surgeon" is ironically quite apt here
    the patient is sliced and diced when a dose of aspirin would have clearly been more than adequate

22. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Don't know, but I have had reports I have made blabbed to the forum. Reports I might add that I did not even send to that particular MOD. It seems as though if one gets a report they share everything with eachother. Then if one has it in for you, they use that information to their own advantage.

23. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Ethics don't seem to be anyone's strong suit these days, do they? It's OK if the mods share information, but blabbing it on the open forums seems to be a violation. They've banned people before for airing a moderator PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.