Why banning anyway?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by MetaKron, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

My online persona is a little different to my real life one, by necessity of my administrative role. For that reason, it always amuses me when somebody calls me a fascist or claims that I have it in for them because I disagree with their politics, or whatever.

I don't give that much away about my real life here. That is deliberate, because there are a fair few nutters out in internet land that I'd really prefer to avoid in real life. Some of them bear grudges that last forever against moderators and administrators, which have nothing to do with the mods etc, and everything to do with frustration at not getting their own way.

I'd have a beer with a lot of people here without thinking twice, but some I'd avoid like the plague if I ever came across them in real life. Having said that, the list of people I'd avoid is actually shorter than you might expect, and I'd be very happy to sit down with some who I have strident disagreements with. It's the few who take things far too personally that tend to be a problem.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

I've been threatened with bans several times by mods/members who take their religion too seriously.

Most recently, I was threatened with a ban for saying atheism is illogical...LOL.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

no you were threatened with a ban for attacking people who prove your theories wrong.

once again you were most likely threatened with a ban for attacking people after proving you wrong.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

As usual you have no clue what you're talking about.

8. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

So why was lepus banned anyway? And don't tell me to check the banlist, it takes about 10 minutes to load, IF it ever loads, sometimes it will just freeze and I have to ctrl alt delete it.
    I really doubt making the ban list next to impossible to see was a mistake either, by the way...

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The reason the ban list is like that is just because it was never scripted for the workload it now has to deal with, it doesn't cache the page and it does break it down in size, If there was to be future development then it's likely it would be rebuilt.

As for Lepus banning, I banned him. You might think as a personal grudge, in some respects he declared a couple of times that he didn't care about being banned and his only real reason for posting here was just to try and cause Anarchy. He's always been like even when he was posting as Mountainhare. He was banned because the way people have been behaving at this forum for months has been tolerated and I'm afraid it's going to have to be clamped down on.

I know a number of you think the moderators are fascist, some of you know you are just trying to stir a riot, others of you have just been hoodwinked by conmen. Well the Fascism I see is certain "Members" should of been got rid of a long time ago, you might notice a downturn in membership in recent months, believe me that's not down to the moderators, that's down to those members that have gone unchecked. Hardly Fascism, more "Escalation of Commitment" were some of those moderators have protected those problems, not any more.

So I ask yourself and others to please be aware of how you post here now, as some of your accusations and abuse (not you in particular Lou) will not be tolerated.

10. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Ok... I suppose I should be grateful you're being honest and pretty much flat out admitting it was for dissent.
    Thanks?

Yeah, I wonder where that comes from? And even when you ban people for protesting about it, it seems still people think the moderators are fascists, you just can't get a break.

/fucking ironic

11. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Don't know how I missed this-
    So in other words lepus was made an example of, and the rest of us should be shivering in our boots and falling back into line, that was the planned result of his banning, not any kind of backlash where we're like "wtf was that?! See? that's what we're talking about!!".
    Is that about right?

I guess it kind of worked, I'm aware I could be unashamedly banned now, but like avatar, I'll run the risk. Some things are more important. It's very difficult for some people (people of character), to roll over and take it in the arse, it's basically impossible. Killing us is much easier.
    Unfortunately (fortunately for you) you'd still have a healthy membership once all of our types were removed, but I hope you like "what's ur favrite color? ^___^" threads.

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Better than the "What color do you hate?" threads that dorb this forum right now.

13. Carcano Valued Senior Member

A ray of hope at last!

No point in having rules unless theyre enforced.

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Heck If the mod's are going to be Fascist, we might as well do it properly and get rid of the whiners

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Really? We don't have threads like that anyway, but really think about the reality of a discussion of that nature compared to a discussion on "favrite colors ^___^", and which would be more suitable for an intelligent community? Remembering that anyone can go in and discuss why it's stupid and ignorant to hate this or that colour (or like this or that colour, I suppose), which has more potential to yield intelligent worthwhile discussion?

16. Kadark Banned Banned

Aren't you getting tired of embarrassing yourself? Personally, it makes me sick to see you shamelessly caress the moderating team's genitals, assuring them that their fascism is necessary. You know what? It isn't.

Coincidentally, these "whiners" constitute the overwhelming majority of your intelligent, worthwhile membership. Once you get rid of the intellectuals, your website will be rampant with petty exchanges, such as excessive food and weather discussions. This is the future that is painted for Sciforums. You may like it, because without the intellectuals, attaining ultimate power will not only be possible, but it will also go about unresisted. The same cannot be said for the lesser goons.

Kadark

17. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Yes fascism is necessary.

A conditional fascism according to established written rules that everyone can accept or refuse....by voting with their feet.

I encourage you.

18. Kadark Banned Banned

So according to you, the moderators are justified in every action they take? Hypothetically speaking, what would you do if the next time you attempted to log into your account, it said, "You have been banned because the moderating team decided your avatar looks gay, and because James R is afraid of clowns." Would you close your browser and walk away unscathed, or would you punch a wall, cursing James' name? Think about it. I used to be exactly like you, Carcano; I was relatively new here, so the moderators were cutting me some slack. Because I never experienced the brunt of the moderators' injustices, I never complained about them, instead choosing to take the apathetic position in most circumstances. "Just follow the rules, and everything will be fine." Like hell it will! The situation we're in isn't reflective of Sciforums' history; in fact, a brief trip into the archives will reveal quite the opposite. If we've had peace and harmony before, why not again? All that is standing in the way is a powerful elite, using goons such as yourself to do the dirty work.

Fight the good fight.

Kadark

19. John99 Banned Banned

Dont be so dramatic.

20. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

If only Mussolini had access to smiley faces, his atrocities could have been so adorable.

21. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

Actually I was spot on. Don't believe me ask the mod team.

22. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Do you really believe that? Perhaps we can put it to the test. Feel free to list the members that you think belong in the intelligent and worthwhile category and we can see how many of them are "whiners".

23. Kadark Banned Banned

Yes, ashura, I really believe that.

By the way, your username always makes me hungry.

Kadark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.