Why aren't you economists working on a way to get me more vacation time?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by John J. Bannan, Jun 29, 2007.

1. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

I would think the goal of the best economic system would be to get society as much leisure time as possible. And yet, you economists are always pushing more and more productivity. Can't you come up with something better?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

"Need" less and take more vacation. Why do we have less vacation? Because employers can give you less. Don't like it? Don't work for them. Someone else will though.

Europeans get more vacation than North Americans, because they demand it. We do not.

People whom are allowed(for whatever reason -self employed etc) often do not, because they want to produce more - get more - buy more. Slaves to their own greed often enough. Need less - work less.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Work part time

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

What good is a vacation where I need so little I don't have the money to go out and have a good time? I want good vacations - travel - paid for by my overly generous economic system. Work on that.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Become President.

9. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

The President works like a dog. His schedule is timed to the minute. He literally puts in 24/7. Sure, there are perks - but come on. Plus, there is only one President. That's a pretty lousy ecomomic systems for the rest of us.

10. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Shit you just want it all huh? Become a Canadian Senator.

11. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

24/7......really?he seems to have had quite a few more holidays than i have.

people cant be given too much free time otherwise they realize they have no hobbies or interests and the only reason they exist is to work like horses.
    mass suicides.....seriously.

12. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

We only exist to work? Well, there seems to be some truth in that. We as humans do like to struggle - don't we?

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

We exhist only to play, work is a form of play.

14. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Now, you lost me. "Work" is a form of play? Sure, some people do enjoy their work - but most don't. How do you reconcile this?

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I like working. Maternity leave bout killed me. Its rewarding to me. I like doing a job well. Praise embarrasses me though, so my bosses have learned to show appreciation through my pay check.

I suppose if it was about having money but lots of time off, I'd move to NV and work in a bordello.

16. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Praise is cheaper than pay. I'm surprised your bosses allow that. Do prostitutes enjoy their work?

17. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Ok consider people whom "love" their work. 100% play.

Consider people who don't mind work(like what they do, like to spend the 8 hours there and wouldn't really like to do a different job), but would prefer the beach. Work is somewhat to help them afford their "play" - the beach(cottage,videogames, watching sports, screwing gorgeous significant others).

Consider people that hate to work - but do so to survive. Well they hope to be able to play someday once again like they did as children...naturally.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yep, praise is cheaper. But I am VERY good at my job and I get rewarded accordingly.

I don't think they all do, but in Cathouse they seem to.

19. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

I guess you really mean we work to play? I can see that as holding true for most people. That doesn't mean work is a form of play.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think Trump, Steve Irwin, Gates, Oprah Winfrey, and my Dad would disagree with you.

You find what you love and its play time all the time.

21. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Sure they would disagree with me. But, the majority wouldn't.

22. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

The women on cathouse seem to me like they are playing for the cameras. They're like strippers. Strippers are always totally turned on by having the privilege of grinding on whatever fat slob had stumbled through the door. They also disproportionately claim to be bisexual nymphomaniacs who are earning money for college. The truth, that they are not really into you, but will interact with you because the money's good, is just not good for business.

I'm sure some do like that sort of job though.

As for why economist don't work on getting people more vacation, that is not what economists do. Economists are not social engineers, they study how society allocates scarce resources. If society wants to find a way to get more vacation, some economists would offer suggestions/* that help society get there. If society is interested in generating greater and greater real wealth, economists will accommodate that.

---------
    /* Some would say "guesses."
    ---------

Most economists stay out of such things through, happy to study things within their own esoteric (often microeconomic) specialty and not worrying about grander macroeconomic issues and transformations.

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I don't know ...the present system worked pretty damned well of me. I worked and saved my money, invested in stocks, and retired at 52. I now have all the liesure that I could want. What more do you want than that?

Baron Max