Why are we all evil?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by maxpowers200169, Aug 8, 2003.

1. maxpowers200169 Registered Member

here is something for us to think about.
    have you ever been sitting in front of the TV and had a fly buzzing around your head annoyingly? if so what did you do? the obvious answer is "terminated it with extreme predjudice"
    how about this have you ever been taking a shower only to look over and see a spider about 3 inches from you face? if you have you either A.ran away B.killed it. or C.got someone else to kill it. so why am I asking these questions? well how can we say killing a person is bad when maybe the person who died was being really annoying or was really ugly. just because the fly was annoying you doesnt make it justifyable. if the spider was a cute cuddly looking thing odds are you wouldnt have killed it. so i belive that extermination of other life forms is an unremovable part of who we all are. so by this conclusion we are all evil...think of it as you will but this is my opinion....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

You are being presumptious with the fly example...i don't kill any bugs.....i just let them be and let them pass. I know many others don't kill bugs or small creatures.

Besides the whole post making little making sense your examples have nothing to do with us being evil. When you kill a spider it is out of self defense (although many do it out of contempt for them since they are invading their space).......if a spider does happen to land upon on you in a shower then chances are it will die...part of life...the spider should have known better but unfortunetly it took it chances. Spiders attack humans when the humans have no intention of hurting them but do the spiders know that? no..that's why they inject your ass with venomous poison....same with us. Maybe the spider didn't intend to hurt us but the scared teeny bopper doesn't know that so *SWAT*...out it goes to netherworld

Evil and good are social constructs, there are better examples to discuss the dualism of this subject......just not your examples.

Cheerio.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dragoon Grandmaster Registered Senior Member

What about the bacteria our immune systems destroy when we have an infection?

Maybe I'm just pointing out the obvious here, but killing a spider or a fly is a lot different than killing another human being.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. maxpowers200169 Registered Member

sorry but you all missed the point all I was trying to say is that we destroy things without thinking first of the consiqunces. i.e. we are killing off our planet and no one cares because when money and the environment come thogether money always wins.
    now i know some people wouldnt hurt bugs because they are ugly just as i wouldnt shoot my brother for pissing me off but there are to many of us with the capability for destruction to say we are good natured beings. our history is filled with 95.9% more wars or other violent content than of the good things and if history repeats its self well lets just say im still surprised that our race still exists. i give our species another 100 years before we destroy ourselves. too few of us are good natured people and all of our governments have destructive people in leadership positions. maybe not the president or the arch duke or whatever the title is for the head person in your country is but somewhere along the line there is someone who is very capable of destroying everything and everyone.

8. Even irreverent, callous destruction is not necessarily evil.

If you want to know why we diminish and despoil our environment with little or no consideration of the repecussions of our actions, that it's because its the quickest, easiest way to increase our comfort level.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2003
  9. invisibleone Registered Senior Member

While it's true that we do exterminate other life forms, it's another thing to place the label of "evil" upon everyone. People don't just kill ugly and annoying things like spiders. Some people kill 'cuddly' farm animals, dogs, cats, etc. for food. Does this make people 'evil'? I'm not so sure. . . What about the farmers that make sure you get your meat at the grocery store? Most of us probably don't consider farmers to be evil, even though they are helping to kill countless animals. Life feeds on life. It may not always seem "right" but it is how life persists.

10. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

Speak for yourself Maxybaby.
    You evil guy you.

11. Judas Guest

I dont belive in Evil. "Evil" is just a term made up to justefy
    what we cannot understand.

[idiotmode] "Evil tigers ate my brother,god punished us with a flood because we were naughty etc etc [/idiotmode]

Without justefication i belive humans would go mad. IMHO

12. Dragoon Grandmaster Registered Senior Member

maxpowers200169,

It sounds like you've been reading a few too many issues of Hippie Propaganda Digest.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that we tend to record the bad things. It's true there have been many wars in human history. In fact people have done all sorts of horrible things to each other - torture, rape, banishment - we all know too much of the list.

But you have to contrast all of this with the feats of engineering we've accomplished, the scientific discoveries we've made, and the acts of human compassion that we're capable of.

We won't destroy the planet. At one time it was all one giant mass of molten rock. Somehow a few organic compounds came together to form the first expression of life - maybe by divine influence, maybe by chance. The worst we could do is reduce the planet back to this molten mass, and we're not even capable of that. At the height of the cold war, if every single nuclear weapon on the planet went off, people still had a pretty good chance at survival.

People aren't perfect. If that's your point then I agree. But you have to give the average Joe some credit. We used to live in a world where scientists were imprisoned for disagreeing with the status quo. We've come a long way, but there's still a long way to go.

13. Judas Guest

My oh my. If Russia and the Usa went to nuclear war, 2 things
    would happen. 1. If you lived in the 2 countries there would NOT
    be a fair chance of survival. Both the Us and Russia would be
    radio active for sevral thousands years. And not to
    mention that both Russia has nukes aimed at more countries
    than theirselvs.People in Hiroshima
    and Nagasaki are still fealing the efects of the bombs.
    Mutation and an extreme high rate of cances. The bombs of
    today are sevral hundred times their strenght.
    2.All the radioactivety would go up in the atmosphere, and
    it would travel across the entire globe. This would result in
    poison lakes, and drinking water.The creatures most likely
    of surviving a nuclear armageddon is cochroaches.

14. Judas Guest

Evry debater in this thread should go

HERE

15. Dragoon Grandmaster Registered Senior Member

Yes, but how much radioactivity would be present? On average, it wouldn't be that much greater than the average background exposure, except in zones surrounding specific targets. Given that there are some well populated places in India where the average background exposure is about 100 times the global average, I would argue that this condition, even if taken to the extreme, would not lead to the mass extinction of the human race.

I suppose. This is just my opinion, but I don't think it's realistic to assume that either power will start picking off "bystander" nations. It takes a lot of effort to launch a nuclear weapon, and I doubt anyone would bother unless they had a military justification for doing so.

Really? It's true that many people were killed by accute radiation sickness due to extremely high exposures. However, for those who survived the initial disaster there has only been a slight increase in cancer for those who received large doses of radiation. Those who received low doses have actually been shown to be healthier than unexposed Japanese.

Surprisingly, the land surrounding Chernobyl is actually flourishing with wildlife. 48 endangered species are reportedly thriving in the Chernobyl exclusion zone. There is no evidence that any of the wildlife in the area has suffered any population decline since the disaster, nor is there any evidence for an increase in birth defects.

I will not argue that radiation is a good thing. Nuclear war would in fact be horrible, and many people would die. However, "nuclear war armegeddon" will not destroy the human race.

16. Judas Guest

Right now i havent got the time, but ill proove you wrong tomorrow.

17. maxpowers200169 Registered Member

Damn

I guess sooner or later everyone would find out im a hippie

no not really but i was really just trying to get other peoples opinion on why we do stuff like kill needlessly i didnt mean ALL people do it just the majority including myself in fact i just got this super sweet fly swatter that looks like a tennis racket and when it makes contact with the fly it sends a jolt of electricity through its body

..............oops I think I said too much. but anyway thanks for the feedback

18. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

Your alright in my books Maxy

19. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Death is just part of life, that's all. You see things too black and white. While I only kill insects if they encroach upon what I consider to be my territory (my house), I do feel remorse for what I am doing (before I tried to move all the bugs outside but it just didn't work as well). Killing an insect on purpose is not the same as killing a dog, a cat, or a human. In all honesty, do you think that an insect has more of an intellect, more of a consciousness, than an inanimate object?

Lines can be drawn on when it is okay to kill what. Do you think a colony of ants would show you a speck of mercy if you happened to be a caterpillar, and wandered into their domain? Why should you treat the ants any better? As a younger child I used to stomp on ants on the sidewalk, this I feel was wrong and unjust. Most creatures don't go beyond defending their own territory, they don't go on wars of interspecies conquest, like we humans do. It's a very relative subject, I'll concede. As long as you're defending your territory, and what you consider your territory is "fair" (i.e not the entire planet), I see nothing wrong with killing or relocating whatever you don't want in what you claim is yours. Yes. Too relative.

20. CluisM Registered Member

" i belive that extermination of other life forms is an unremovable part of who we all are. so by this conclusion we are all evil..."

I don't believe that we are all Evil nor are we Evil. Humans are governed be two emotions, Fear and Love. Love is good and Fear is Evil. Now, reacting out of Fear and killing a spider for being in your face is only a natural reaction. Is it right? no, but the end of something is the beginning of another. If you believe in fate than wouldn't you believe that it was the spider's time to go? Destruction has been in humans blood since we began. The biggest challange is knowing how to control one's self to use derivatives of love and not fear.

21. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

O c'mon, we have our minds. With our minds we can command our bodies to do anything, good or evil. Plus, we're all grey: Good and Evil are very very realtive to one another.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Human men simply evolved to be violent, and violence is often described as evil. Most human societies are controlled by men. I am violent too, it's not a question of why, we can't help it, it is our nature.

23. RebelWithoutACow Registered Senior Member

The answer is easy! In the words of Dark Helmet :

"Evil is smart, and good is dumb!"