Why are thread names Changed?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Billy T, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

"China's Emergence As A Global Superpower" appears to be the new name for old tread called something like:
    "Do you think China will surpass the US some day"
    Both were started by Saint, I am almost sure, so I looked at the 6 pages of threads that Saint has started and the old name is no longer listed.

I wasted at least 15 minutes trying to find the originally named thread as I try to follow the Sciforum's policy of not starting a new thread if an old one on the subject already exist.

Thus the there must be a good reason for changing the name of this old thread if that is indeed what has happened. What is it?

If no valid reason exists for name changing, then this is stupid and counter productive to official Sciforum policy.

What other threads have been renamed?

If this renaming continues, I will avoid wasting my time looking back thru many pages for old, but suitable theads. - I will just start new ones when I want to make new point in old subject.

Is that the intent of the name changes? (Send all old threads to the archives.)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Obviously the person responsible for the change will have to respond.

For the most part name changes only occur to either make a thread clearer, less oppositional (in the sense of offensive to one or other party) or just less offensive. Afterall they are for the most part the title to the subject, a sentence that can either launch a thousand* posters to respond or a thousand* posters to ignore it completely.

*It's not necessarily a thousand members, probably more like ten

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

While Thread names are changed, their Thread or Post ID isn't (the only thing that can effect them is deletion). Also if you add TAGS to the thread, they will also likely be maintained should the thread title be changed (unless administrated.) So if you want to search for a thread in the future that might have a name change, impliment the use of tags and search the tags

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

It has been two weeks now and he/she has not. Can you find who made the change that caused me to waste a lot of time trying to follow SR suggestions to use existing threads if possible instead of create new ones? At least tell how I find list of the moderators of the thread. (I can send them all a PM.)

Thanks.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

its probably string
    go msg and ask

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What forum is the thread in?

9. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

It could have been me- still don't know what I'm doing. But I'm curious about this case (bump).

10. sandy Banned Banned

Better than having your threads cesspooled and your posts removed for no reason.

11. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Has this happened to you lately? If it had, you could not have been heeding my:itold:

12. sandy Banned Banned

13. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I'll try to keep my weapons on safety, and always warn befor

oops sorry, Sandy.

.click.

(I'm new at this)

OK I have to go do some real work now.:fright:

14. sandy Banned Banned

It's ok. I've been thrown out of much bigger places than this.

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

This issue was addressed in another more recent thread, the moderator responsible has been told not to do it again by Plazma in the moderator forum, and Plazma stated the guidelines about renaming threads for other moderators to not make the same mistake. So since it's all done and dusted there is no point with continuing this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.