Why are the earth sciences so neglected in the usa?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by angrybellsprout, Jan 20, 2006.

1. identityless Registered Senior Member

You mention potential careers for geology majors but are those really in demands? The news station is flooded with metorologists predicting the weather. Volocanologists are probably only useful in Washington or Hawaii, and civli engineers are not in demand as it was once was.

The biggest demands for geologists are mostly in the UN or international affairs I think. If you're in America, most geology work are in academia or research based. But is the state or NSF providing enoughing funding for these researchs to be done? Without a strong demand, there's not enough promotion for these type of geology careers.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

Still not an excuse for completly ignoring the earth sciences...

Not everyone is going to be a doctor, yet they take life sciences?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Ignoring the earth sciences? The USA used to be a hotbed of them, seeing asi t had large numbers of mining engineers, geologists, petroleum geologists, paleontologists, etc etc.

Oh look, heres some jobs:
    http://www.fwgs.org/fwgsjobs.htm

US burea of labour stats:
    http://geology.about.com/gi/dynamic...ology&zu=http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos050.htm

Median annual earnings of geoscientists were $68,730 in May 2004. The middle 50 percent earned between $49,260 and $98,380; the lowest 10 percent earned less than $37,700, the highest 10 percent more than $130,750.

According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, beginning salary offers in July 2005 for graduates with bachelor’s degrees in geology and related sciences averaged $39,365 a year.

I would say that is pretty good remuneration. So, what evidence do you have that Earth sciences are being ignored, apart from your own personal experience?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

Just because there are jobs doesn't mean that there is a focus on the earth sciences in the american educational system.

You get many more years of life sciences than earth sciences.

8. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Well, then I suggest you get on your local school board, lobby your representatives, and generally kick up a fuss. Not being a USA'ian, I can't do anything. If you are at school, start a geology club. Get well employed geology graduates to make representations to school boards. Or stuff. Stop being so negative and go do something.