Why are philsophers so weird?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by fredx, Apr 1, 2003.

1. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

What would you recommend?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fredx Banned Banned

ok...

my complaining is getting a little redundant...sorry folks.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. proteus42 Registered Senior Member

"Knowledge and the Flow of Information" is perhaps his most well-known book. But, as the title already shows, it takes alotof energy to read it.... It's a mixture of epistemology and modern philosophy of language.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. zwings Registered Member

THE PHILOSOPHERS ARE NOT WEIRD

Charles Fleming, thanks for your question.

Anyway, I am here to explain in more detailed on how is the situation when we considered as weird. For example, when we jog around a lake in which the path looks like a round circle, everybody starts their journey from the left side while u are the only one who runs from the right side. On the way, you definitely meet the others who run from the other side face by face. You are considered as weird or special in this situation. Are you making a wrong choice? Or you are just doing an action, which are suitable with you only.

When we are in weird, we are helpless because we will face criticism. Others wouldn¡¯t emphasize with our situation. We need extra effort to explain to them, especially the conformity group who thought themselves are the cleverest and the most ¡®logical one¡¯ but deeply, they are just never question themselves what is their desire and needs.

Does the philosopher purposely acting out this weird action? There might be a few possibilities here. First, they are good natural actors in life where they could maintain their special identity. But deeply, could they be so fake all the time? He himself is the one who could know the answer exactly. We could lie to the world except we ourselves. Second, they are just being themselves. In other words, they are the group that could express internally themselves fully which others never discover it.

Am I answer your question?

8. Canute Registered Senior Member

Or it may be that philosophers tend to be weird because when one thinks about the world a lot rather than take metaphysical questions and answers for granted you find that the world itself is pretty weird.

Another reason is that in the East no philosopher would be taken seriously unless they lived by their philosophy. That leads to some 'weird' (to those not sharing the same philosophy) lifestyles.

For anyone who thinks current philosophy is over complex or a waste of time can I recommend 'Science as Salvation' by Mary Midgley (Routledge). A down to earth, clearly written, practical and (IMO) important book.

Perhaps philosophers are actually less weird than we think. After all the genuine ones take the trouble to from a rational view about existence and live according to it, which is less weird than those who don't, who form the 'normal' majority.

9. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

proteus42,

Thanks for the recommendation, much appreciated.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!