Why are people afraid of dying?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by geekzilla, Aug 31, 2007.

1. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I agree that while one may have no fear when contemplating the logic that death is inevitable, that it may well prove different when the time comes to test the theory from the personal perspective.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

That would depend on what preparations one has taken.

In some cultures, the moment of death is considered of crucial importance, and people spend their whole life preparing for it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

And a very healthy response at that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Being prepared for death is one thing. Not doing your best to avoid it is another.

8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I hope you were smiling when you said that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

......so far (you've been lucky)

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm afraid not, I was being dead-serious..

11. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I find it interesting that the will to live is such a driving force, even when we logically can observe that life, as far as the individual is concerned, is a one way path to a 'dead end'. :bugeye:

From that observation, I would hypothesize that the will to live is an inherent force that has little to do with our thought processes in regard to logic.

To embrace the potential struggle that is life is not logical otherwise, IMO.

12. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Wrong answer. Staying calm in this situation will give a far greater chance of survival. The tiger will react to the idiots running around like headless chickens. Fear is not a necessary emotion. Yes, I fear getting mauled by a tiger, but I won't let it show.

13. kx000 Valued Senior Member

The other night at a party 5 hispanic gang members enter. How do I know they were gang members? because they were hispanic. Thats racist. Really, because one had a identical scar under each eye lid, meaning he was a jail house snitch, and I could tell they were looking for a fight as they entered a party. Anyways, 3 of them were slapping my friends ass. What do I do? I contemplate the situation. There are 5 of them, and one of me. I have a dilemma. I can't fight 5 gang members, but at the same time I can't let them treat this girl like this. So I look the head dude in the eye and tell him stop slapping my friends ass, and say if you want to talk to her go ahead, but don't slap her in the ass again. Then what do I do? I say, "Tori, lets go time to go," and I slap her in the ass. I remained calm, I showed I wasn't afraid by looking him in the eye, and also showed that im not a punk. I had to fear for my life because I didn't know what these guys were packing, but I could tell what they were capable of, but being afraid is no reason to act in such a manner. I got out of the house with all my limbs in tact.

14. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure survival instinct and fear are the same thing. I'm not scared of something I can't prevent, but I'd still like to live as long as possible!

15. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I dunno about totally assuming those guys are gang members. Probably, though, yeah...gangbangers regardless of race all start to act like each other...not a population as a whole so much at their close gangmates...they move and gesture and talk and dress just so, and it gets really obvious.

Either way, I know trouble when it walks in the room, apparently you do too.

You got yourself and your friend out of a nasty situation. Good job.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Agreed, the will to live is just an instinctive force within us. There is little we can do to counter it.
    Although, our thought processes (read rationality and intelligence) can also help us a great deal with regard to survival. They can also work against us however.

Tigers go for the easy picking. It might get excited because of all the running and screaming people but it will go for the one that appears less able to flee.

Fear is a very important component of survival instinct. People that have no fear will die young.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  17. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

It is a component, and it's true many would die young and the chances for this are increased, but fearlessness is not the same as recklessness. Whilst you could not be afraid of an action without awareness of the consequences, you can be aware of the consequences, without being afraid.
    In my opinion it is not always those without fear that die young, but those without sense.

It also does not necessarily mean fear is still present amongst all that survive.

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

People in richer countries are less afraid of dying now than they used to be.
    Without painkillers, death must have been a frightening thing to watch, and to anticipate.

Old people are not usually afraid of physical extinction, they are usually more worried about their surviving relatives.

19. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Death is inevitable to all, we put up with the conditioning of it's arrival through knowing people or having loved ones that die over time. Death itself to my knowledge doesn't have to exist, it only does so because of Human Conditioning and because we are slaves to tradition.

If there was no death, what purpose would any Religion serve?

Of course the absence of death would express why there are so many stars in the sky, after all if no one died, it would get awfully crowded here on this bluey-green rock, we'd obviously have to look at some way of dealing with over population which would likely involve populating elsewhere in the universe.

In essence though death is an abstract, since everybody that has properly died has never come back with the necessary corrections to make it anything else.

From the moment of our first breath, we are slowly dieing. In some respects it's similar to portion of Schroedingers Cat in the sense that we aren't "Alive" unless we are in a pendulum state of dieing, so should you fear what's around the next bend, I wouldn't it would likely just drive you into madness, constantly guessing what unknown's are in-store for you.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Absolute fearlessness is not the same as recklessness because while being reckless one usually knows that ones life is at risk. Being reckless also does not rule out being afraid.
    Fearlessness, though, is a trait that is very heavily selected against by nature. So much so, that I don't think real (absolute) fearlessness even exists.
    Anyone that claims to be fearless hasn't really had a chance to be fearful yet. Either that or there is something horribly wrong with them.

I contest that you cannot be afraid of an action without being aware of the consequences if you are not aware of the consequences (of an action) you cannot be afraid of it. In fact, not knowing what the consequences are could be a very good reason to be afraid.

I can't disagree with that, but then there is not a whole lot of difference between the two in this context

Well, there's always such a thing as chance I guess

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

They say a hero is someone who is afraid, but acts as though they were not afraid. The person without fear is a fool.
    Can't remember who said it.
    Probably heard it in a John Wayne film.
    Or it could have been Hoss in Bonanza.
    Anyway, it's true.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  22. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Bravery is not an absence of fear. It is the ability to function, despite having full awareness of your fear. Fear is a useful tool in assessment and decision making if one learns how to use it appropriately, IMO.

23. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Maybe it's not always a fear of death. Sometimes it can be a fear of not dying. An example of this would be coming out of an accident and finding out you are now a quadriplegic cripple for the rest of your life. Give me death over that anytime.