Why are people afraid of dying?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by geekzilla, Aug 31, 2007.

1. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Why do you worry so much about flying, or even more dangerous activites Luci?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Yea but its slow and doesnt scare me, Im more afriad of dying in a violent manner than anything. But after your dead your dead so I dont think ill mind much

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm not so much afraid of dying violently as dying a painful death. Not that I think about it on a daily basis lol

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Why? Registered Senior Member

I afraid of not being allowed to live anymore.

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I think, for the most part, it's because they don't beleieve as stronglt as they profess to believe and they have convinced themselves to "believe" directly because of this fear.

9. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

brilliantly put

10. John99 Banned Banned

Only a ******* does not have concern of dying, i would even go so far as say fear.

What i cannot grasp is the shortness of life. Just whan you begin to understand things and can actually live a smooth, relaxing existance that is when you begin to have medical problems or their occurance\probability intensifies. Makes no sense to me.

11. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Then I'm a ******.

Why should I have a fear of dying?

12. John99 Banned Banned

That is why i put the asterisks there

I think there is certainly fear involved in the prospect of no longer existing. Of course i believe there is more than what we see right before us, my own beliefs are simple but very specific.

13. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

No fear at all of that.

14. Yorda Registered Senior Member

I fear death because it does not exist. Death results in reincarnation, so death = life. When we are born we start dying, when we die we start living.

Why do I fear life? Because fear is a part of life, I have no choice.

Wouldn't it be great if you never existed, then you wouldn't have to be there and be afraid of things like that?

15. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

people are afraid of dying because they like being alive.

16. Tnerb Banned Banned

People that feel forced to die, are afraid of the thought. They don't want to die but are afraid of the thoughts of death.

17. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Isn't it obvious why people are afraid of death? It's the one thing that you can never be sure of. Nobody knows anything about death(people believe they know, but no living person has experienced death to actually know), just that it's very common. I fear death, immensely. However, it's not something I usually spend time worrying about; time is precious. Also, I have no fears whatsoever of dieing, I know exactly how that works. Seriously, what's so bad about dieing? It seems like the most invigorating event you could ever experience...unless you die slow or in your sleep, which is pretty lame.

18. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

EXACTLY.......I am more worried about long prolonged agony....like
    cancer, ( I witnessed my mom ) or some other awful disease.

I hope I go fast....

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

By the time I die, if my life hasn't meant anything, then my death damn well better or I am gonna be so pissed off at myself.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

LOL

21. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Probably due to; ultimate goal indicated for humans not achieved..salvation, nirvana, moksha, liberation etc. So one still remain bonded without achieving it.

22. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Most people cannot logically talk themselves out of certain feelings. This is, in fact a good thing. Emotions have a different role than logical thinking. If my girlfriend breaks up with me I can tell myself logical things like there being other women, she wouldn't want to leave me if it would work between us, etc. etc. But the human fact is there is a grieving process. I always found it strange that some people would put forward some syllogism to explain why they did not feel or no longer felt something human and natural, like all one has to do is map it out in a Boolean diagram and poof it's gone. I've since realized that 1) some of these people are not connected enough with their feelings to realize they are just talking about their thoughts and not their feelings 2) some people don't feel very much so they are mostly thoughts and can change these thoughts via deductive reasoning. It might be good for you to know that there are many people who this will not work on and who also have many strengths you do not have. And vice versa. Neither set of strenghts is better.

23. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Here, here. It's sad how posturing about a lack of fear of death is presented as logical, brave, enlightened, cool, etc. when it really is none of these things.